Search for content in message boards

Isle of Jura families

Isle of Jura families

Scott Buie (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in families (all surnames) who lived on the Isle of Jura in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. I have a free e-mail newsletter dedicated to this and if anyone is interested in receiving it please send me an e-mail with your familiy connection to Jura. Thanks.

Isle of Jura - McInnis

Scott Buie (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thanks Roy - try this for starters. Your name has been placed on the mailing list.

Subj: McInnis/Shaw/McEachern

This recent talk about Isle of Jura Scots has been great. We have actually been there and it was a wonderful experience! My husband's ancestors were Angus McInnis and Mary Shaw who with 5 little children left Jura and came to America in 1819. They settled in Cumberland Co. NC. Mary died in 1825 and he married Margaret McEachern in 1827. Five children from this union reached adulthood. I am researching their descendants and will post queries from time to time hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have lots of information already.

What none of us know is the identity of Margaret McEachern's father or mother. There were a lot of McEacherns in the area especially in Robeson Co. Can anyone provide any information here?

We also do not know who Mary Shaw's father was . He would also be from Jura.

Islle of Jura

Roy Wagner (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McInnis
I have been told that my g g grandfather came from Isle of Jura - Angus McInnis. At the familiy cemetary in Hoke county NC, many of the other graves state also state Jura. The other family names are Gillis and Mc Gougan and Gillis. I am not yet sure of their origin in Scotland. Look forward to hearing from you.

Roy Wagner

Re: Isle of Jura families

robert borthwick (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2001 9:37PM GMT
Alexander McDougal born@1830 Isle of Jura.married 8 March 1853 to Mary Kennedy born@1824-8,isle of Coll.Alexander's parents were Alexander McDougal and Marion Campbell.Anyone know anything else?

Tamm (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 8:17PM GMT
I am very interested.I am trying to find out info on the Duke of Gordon. His daughter Annie ran off with the coachman Quinton McBlain and was disowned by her family for marrying someone beneath her.
I am looking forward to hear back from you.

Tamm

Juanita Bitton (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
John Clark, born abt 1721 on Jura. Was a cousin of childre of Gilbert Clark & Flora McLean (Gilbert,Archibald,John). Was in Bladen Co, N.C. by 1741; married twice, children names known, but no names of wives. HELP!

Juanita Bitton (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
John Clark,nephew of Gilbert and Flora McLean Clark. Who were his parents and or siblings? in Bladen Co, NC by 1741, but he was not "Sailor John". His children were:William Archibakd, John, Lewis, Elizabeth, Daniel & Nathan. 2nd fmly, Benjamin,David,Penelope, & James. need names of wives, also parents & or siblings.

Re: Isle of Jura - McInnis

Julian McInnis (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2002 4:00PM GMT
Hi Scott, I'm a grandson of Angus, who is burried at Longstreet Church(1849). Please add me to the mailing list.
Thanks

Caroline Peacock (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2002 5:12PM GMT
Hi, Scot!
I am very much interested in receiving your newsletter. One of my ancesters, Norman McRaney (born 1790) emigrated from the Isle of Skye to Robeson (sp?) County, North Carolina, but someone who has done a bit of research on the family says that Norman's father was probably Roderick McRaney from Jura. I would like to find out more about the Jura line. If you know anything about this particular line of McRaneys, I would appreciate the information. You probably don't know about this, but I am looking forward to receiving your newsletter.
By the way, my "snail" mail address is:
Caroline Peacock
408 North Magnolia
Hammond, LA 70401

Posted: 18 Jun 2002 2:23PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2002 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Buie, Dawson, Dosson
Yes, I am interested in your newsletter. I am a descendant of Duncan Buie and Mary Elleanor Dosson, who descended from Neil and Mary Elizabeth Buie from Duncan and Sarah/Susanna, from Archibald and wife unknown from Neil Buie and Christine McPhearson of Ardfin, Isle of Jura, Scotland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions