Search for content in message boards

pauls of wigwam point

pauls of wigwam point

Posted: 30 Dec 2008 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: paul
I am looking for info on mary paul who married alfred beaton in 1892. We do not know who her father or mother was and we have been told that it was ben paul. Anything on the pauls family tree would be appreciated. We may have some info that you could use. Thank you.

Re: pauls of wigwam point

Posted: 29 Mar 2009 2:43PM GMT
Hello,

I have recently started researching Mary Paul and Alfred Beaton as well. My grandmother is Mary Manuel and her grandmother was Mary Paul from Newfoundland who married Alfred Beaton. I am very interested in learning of my native heritage. Any information you have would be very appreciated. We are related somehow!

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 9:46PM GMT
Hi
my great grandmothers name was Josephine Paul, she was born in 1901 at wigwam point. I know her father was abraham paul but know nothing else. I would like more information on them if you have any.

Thanks
Heather

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: pauls of wigwam point
hello! I am so happy that someone has answered my querey!This is what I know about abraham. He, benjamin and william paul were all from wigwam point and that all the pauls in badger are related. I believe that there is some truth that santu paul came to badger and married a micmak woman. They named their daughter santu as well and the dad was said to be beothuk. john paul, badger, is the son and his brother was benjain. So that is one thing. What I have on this is extensive as none of my husbands family have any info on the pauls either.I do know that abraham and the others were great friends with alfred beaton and, alfreds son alfred ll married mary paul (my husbands g grandparents) We are suspect that marys mother was ellen paul as we found that ellen had an illigitimate child named mary in 1871 (dates fit)by thomas barnes. I aso have "the women of exploits" excerpt that says that ellen, fanny and the much younger woman, mary, all worked for ben paul co. that supplied the sawmill in dominion point. Alos there are records at the peterview heritage society that have the log book for the road construction and payroll for the 3 paul men (abraham included) led by alfred beaton l and the payroll etc. It has been a nightmare conneting up the pauls as no one has info. I can do my best to send you extensive research if you would like. My husband is from stephenville but his mother was from norris arm where our pauls settled in late in life. There is also an interview with nish paul (then band chief and gerald beaton (our cousin) at the peterview h.s. on a disc which is poorly produced with a lot of wind noise that in their conversation they realize that they are related by grandparent siblings. nish was the band chief of badger at the time butdied of a heart attack about 6 years ago. I also know that there were 2 araham pauls and 2 ben pauls that were 5 years apart in age and I have the marriages. I would be happy to get to the root of this stuff with you all. I know that mary ann stuckless married a paul and mary joseph **** cannot remember married a paul. thanks for asking! mickmakmaiden

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 2:47PM GMT
thanks for writing! Mary manuel was I belieeve johanna beaton and herbert manuels daughter. johanna was the first born to alfred beaton and mary paul. We are still trying to determine mary's parents and it has been suggested that it could be ben paul, but I found nothing to verify that. I think that ellen paul was her mother, and her father thomas barnes. I have the rooms true copy that ellen was micmac and that mary was illigitimate. the 1921 census from the rooms, nfld, clearly shows that mary and the children are micmac. You will need this paper to apply for your status. johanna had 7 siblings, but I found an extra girl while at the rooms in their baptismals and that was verified by one of the granddaughters saying that 2 of the girls went to nova scotia and lived on the reserve. this then makes sense to me as I could not account for one of the daughters and the 2nd fit in nicely. so that makes 8 siblings. I know that there were a set of twins born (ellen and julia) right after johanna and that if ellen were marys mother and one of the ladies standing up for ellen at marys baptismal was julia joe (nee paul) in the book. So that is just another indicator for me that ellen was indeed mary's mother. also she was born in 1971 according to the records which fit. johannas 2nd brother is frances or frank from whom his daughter is my husbands mother, so you are indeed a cousin! How nice! I have done extensive research on this family and the extended family. If you read the other querey you will see that there may well be beothuk there. my husbands sister has the green eyes but that is not the only reason. I will be happy to answer any and all questions and help whoever needs help as the pauls are elusive and the files that I have extensive and I had to hire an archavist while at the rooms as the pauls are really hard o get info on. thanks for the questions please write again. micmakmaiden

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 12:35AM GMT
Hi

The following shows the head of households living at or close to Exploits River in 1871. I'm related to the porters and chaulks, and would like to know if there is any relation between the others noted and these two families.

Geoff

Lovell's 1871
Provincial Business Directory
EXPLOITS RIVER
One of the most important inlets in Newfoundland, is navigable for small steamers up to the rapids, a distance of 13 miles, and thence by boat to within 50 miles of Burgeo on the south west coast, running mostly through level country. The land is capable of great agricultural development, and produces large timber, such as pine, juniper and birch. One steam sawmill is in operation. Great numbers of wild geese breed on the inside reaches of the river. Distant from Twillingate by boat 24 miles. Mail fortnightly. Population 60.

Beaton Alfred, fisherman
Chalk Robert, fisherman
Chalk William, fisherman
Gill Charles, fisherman
Gill George, fisherman
Gill John, fisherman
Jure James, planter
Paul Noel, fisherman
Porter John, fisherman
Porter John jun., fisherman

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 2:54PM GMT
dear geoff, you certainly are related! alfred beaton(1823) married mary anne porter d/o john/rosianna, g/f william porter b exploits burnt island. 3 of alfred and mary ann's children married gills.james gill and mary beaton (good story behind her) had charles beaton, jane, james and john henry. harriet ann beaton m peter gill s/o john h & mary clancy, frederick ford beaton m louisa gill d/o john h, and susan beaton m elias seabright s/o jane gill and james seabright. charles b gill m jane jure but she died young, their daughter philipina married william jure(jewer). john porter is the father to john jr and mary anne porter other siblings are robert, alfred, pricilla and frances porter. One of Alfred beatons sons, alfred, married mary paul and I have said in the conversations what my theory is on her origins, but beyond ellen paul I do not know parentage yet. She is the same age as abraham, ben, noel and william paul or there abouts. I do not know anything of the chaulks, but would be interested in all family relations. Our research is in the notre dame bay area, specifically exploits,dominion upper sandy point, botwood, and norris arm. Any info would be appreciated on the pauls as that is a direct line to us. Thanks for writing! I have lots of info on connecting families if anyone needs some. jackie

Posted: 4 Apr 2009 2:38PM GMT
Hi, I have a marriage of Abraham Paul and Margaret Kennedy July 4, 1901 in Wigwam Point. Can you tell me how many children they had? Who their Abraham Pauls parents are?

Margaret Kennedy is my gg grandmother.

Thank you Shawna

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 2:10AM GMT
dear shawna, I am not sure if I have the right parents for abraham, but it might be helpful. What i can tell you is that william and johanna (sylvester)paul had a son (in the tilting rc records) named abraham baptized aug 6,1862. I also have marriages for 2 abraham pauls. marriage #1 was to mary elizabeth elliot. june 3,1895. he-30 she-25yrs. Ships cove at wigwam point. witnesses, Alfred beaton and ellen paul. marriage #2 Your abraham, 30, to margaret kennedy 25. RC, wigwam point. witnesses alfred beaton and mary beaton (paul). Alfred and mary are my husbands g grandparents and ellen is, I believe marys mother and is related as either a cousin or older sister to abraham (1862) as she was born around 1850. I will continue to look, though as they are all related, but they are so elusive!I probably have more data on every paul but my own! There is a micmak census from the rooms in st. johns and I believe that it is only 1921. I will keep everyone alerted if i find another census that can be accessed. I do not have any records for abraham and margarets children, if you are a decendant then start at your own parents and work backwards. We even went to the old neighbourhoods trying to get some info! and we live in alberta, so another trip to nfld is soon coming! Also there is a grave yard in peterview that was the indian burial ground but there are only the beaton markers on it and one for a john cook. but their decendant told me that there are hundreds of people buried there. lots of pauls and also in pt.leamington. We think our mary paul is there but no way to know for sure. I hope this helps and maybe someone else might get a spark from a word or two of this and help us out so thankyou for writing shawna and if you get anything let me know and I will do the same. jackie

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 4:47AM GMT
Descendants of Abraham Paul

1 Abraham Paul 1881 -
.. +Margaret Kennedy 1881 -
........ 2 Joseph Paul 1879 -
........ 2 Bridget Paul 1879 -
........ 2 Joan Paul 1879 -
........ 2 Frank Paul 1879 -
............ +Peal Parsons
........ 2 Johanna Paul 1902 -