Search for content in message boards

Mobley/Campbell families circa 1833 Morgan County, Mo

Mobley/Campbell families circa 1833 Morgan County, Mo

David E. Mobley (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2003 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mobley/Campbell
I am seeking information on William R. Mobley family and Benjamin A. Campbell family. They both moved to Morgan County circa 1833 together. Morgan County, especially, Versailles, was their home until they died. They were buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery, Morgan County. Any vital statistic dates or historical information would be appreciated.

Re: Mobley/Campbell families circa 1833 Morgan County, Mo

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2005 8:35PM GMT
Hello David,
I am also a Morgan County descendant. I was born there and lived there when I was young. My grandfather's best friend was Harold Campbell.And on that note this is what I know.

In the 1850 census it is listed:Page 246 line 363
William Mobley 42 male clergyman $400. ky
ELIZABETH 42
James 18; Benjamin 14; Nancy; William 11; Jane 9; Jemima 7; Susan Ann 5; Thomas 3.

Page 223 line 19
George Campbell 42 male School Teacher KY
Thomas ( A R)? 13 male Born MO
Margaret 17 Female born KY
Benjamin F. 10 male born MO
George 6 male born MO
Page 236 line 217
Stanton B. Campbell 20 or 30 hard to read male School teacher born TN

Page 266B line 681:
William Campbell 55 male farmer $200. KY
Elizabeth 44 female KY
John 25 male labor born KY
Nancy 20 female born IN
Louisa 17 female born KY
William 14 male born MIssouri
Sarah Jane 12 female born MO
Lassomelor (sic)Female 7 years born MO
Amarilla 4 years female born MO

It looks like your Wm Campbells burial in Oak Grove is assumed because of his obituary. Have you made a trip there yet? Oak Grove Cem is located in sec 16 twp. 42n R 17 w.
It is located about 3 1/2 miles southeast of Versailles. The church is gone. In Wm. Williams Cem. book it says Pauline Hunter has info regarding the Campbell family and has the obits for them showing they are buried in Oak Grove. The pews from this old church are in the Morgan County Hist. Society Museum in Versailles.

marriages:
Benj. C. Mobley and Harriett N. Grey Feb 25, 1863
John G. Duff and Suda A. Mobley Dec 27, 1868
Joseph Williams and Sara Jane Campbell Jan 12, 1865
I wonder if you're related Bill Williams who transcribed all the Cem records in Morgan Co?
Wm. Braden and Mary A. Campbell April 1, 1866 Buffalo Twp.
John Braden and Amanda Campbell May 6, 1866
John T Campbell and Mary Reed March 31, 1868 both of Versailles.
Albert Braden and Margaret M. Campbell Jan 1,1871

Asa McMurray and Nancy Ann Mobley Dec 11, 1856

Squire Boone Campbell and Emeline Taylor Aug 25, 1838
John Campbell and Elizabeth Lanier Dec 30, 1838
William B. Dill and Matilda Ann Campbell May 22, 1843
Benj. Hosnow Jr. and Ann Maria Campbell Feb 18, 1844
John Carter and Sarah R. Campbell June 11, 1844
James McKay and Hardemia Susannah Campbell April 22 1845
James M. Campbell Nov 1, 1852 but has no bride listed?

James Kelly and Jane Campbell Jan 10, 1858
Thomas W. Campbell and Mary Elizabeth Cortwright June 14, 1858

I hope some of this helps. Do you know how you are related to Harold Campbell?

Regards,Bonnie

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 10:34PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell/Mobley
David:
I will do what I can to try to help. The Campbell/Mobley line is my husband's and we've just started work on it. This is what I have so far.
Benjamin Campbell, bc 1771, VA, dc 1877 Versailles, Morgan, Co., Mo
m. Chloe Faris 10 Mar 1791.
The following is from the Morgan County History, Volume One, 1979, in the Kansas State Historical Society.
George Campbell, along with his brother, Benjamin, came to Morgan County in 1832 in a wagon train from Cumberland Co., KY. They were the sons of Benjamin Campbell Sr. and Cloe Farris. Prior to KY, the Campbell family had come from Virginia, but little is know of that era as all records were destroyed in a fire at the Cumberland County Court House. George married a Mobley, and it is believed that the Mobley family was in the same wagon train that brought the Campbells to MO.

Wesley Campbell says they came in 1834 in covered wagons pulled by teams of oxen. Wesley also says that Ben had served with his father Hugh in the French and Indian Wars in 1787. Afterwards they moved from Augusta County, VA into Madison Co, KY. Their ancestors had come to VA via PA from Scotland and Ireland in the mid-1700's.

Wesley Campbell (b. 2 May 1860) would be a grandson of Benjamin and Chloe. Now old Ben supposedly died at age 106, so it's entirely possible Wesley heard these tales from his grandfather.

The list of Benjamin and Cloe's kids (that I have, and it's not my work) is: Samuel, James, John, William Franklin (Dave's direct line), Sally, Emily, Thomas, Benjamin, Elizabeth, George Warren, Martha, and Matilda.

William Franklin Campbell m. Elizabeth Mobely, dtr. of James Mobley/More/Moore and Peggy Ravlen (at least that's what the name looks like.

The Campbell book written by one of Dave's cousins some years ago is at home and my rotten memory doesn't allow much more than these notes.

I'm trying to get a Campbell book together for a reunion on Sept. 27th. Dave's mom had bits and pieces (lots of them) and then this Campbell Genealogy showed up from one of her sisters. There is hardly any documentation in it at all, but lots of info.

I don't know whether this is a help to you or not. Dave is becoming more interested in his heritage as I find stuff. I do plan to get him to Morgan County in the spring. It's probably a five hour drive from Topeka.

Hope any of this helps.

Nora

Posted: 18 Sep 2003 6:44PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2003 5:33PM GMT
I read Nora Patton's reply to you and believe some of the information is correct and some not so accurate. I too have researched the Campbell line as Sarah R. Campbell is in my line. William Franklin Campbell b.1795 AugustaCo.,VA. Married Elizabeth Mobley in Campbellsburg, Henry Co., KY. Their children: John b.1818, Sarah R. b. March 2, 1820, Matilda Ann b. 1824, Ann Maria b. 1826, hardenia Susannah b.1827, William Marion b. ?..Benjamin A. Campbell, b. 1771 married Chloe Farris, b. 1772. she is buried in Oak Grove Baptist Churdh Cemetery in Versailles, MO. They had son William and daughter Abigal. Sarah R. Campbell married John W. Carter 1844 in Morgan Co. MO I have details of the Carter line up to the present time.

Elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Ravlen
Hi David, Nora mentions a Peggy Ravlen, that is my maiden name and therefore I'm interested in finding out more> Liz

Elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2005 12:32AM GMT
Surnames: Ravlen
Hi David, Nora happened to mention a Peggy Ravlen, that is my maiden nam and I'm interested to find out more. Liz

Nora Patton Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2005 8:43PM GMT
Hi Liz.

I'll be glad to try to help you, but at the present time my whole house is torn up as we are replacing ugly, worn out carpet through the whole house. Yep, that means moving everything, not only once, but twice. And, since we're doing all that, we're painting too. Gluttons for punishment!!

Please remind me and when I get the office back to some sort of normal, I'll dig out the Campbell genealogy and see what I can tell you. As I recall off the top of my head it wasn't much but the little grey cells don't always remember.

Nora

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:25AM GMT
Do any of you guys have pictures of the mobley/campbell family? I am related to Chloe Farris and Benjamin Campbell through their daughter Elizabeth who married William Mobley.

Posted: 27 May 2010 2:02PM GMT
Were these families a member of the Big Rock Bapt Church?
I am always interested in families who migrates together.
My Jackson line, left Logan Co, Ky to Morgan and Moniteau Counties in 1836.
My Kelly line, lived in Greenbrier Co, Va and moved to Madison Co, Ky and to franklin Co, Tenn then to Cole Co, Mo.
Lived by Campbells in Kelly township.

Gay Nix
per page

Find a board about a specific topic