Search for content in message boards

John CHEW, d. c1733, Maryland

John CHEW, d. c1733, Maryland

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHEW, JARMAN, YOE
I wish I knew what this was about:

In Skinner's "Abstracts of the Administration Accounts of the Prerogative Court of Maryland 1731-1737" p. 43, is an abstract of the estate account of John CHEW dated 16 October 1733. The actual book reference is to vol. 12, p. 60. The payments include ones to Robert JARMAN and John JARMAN "on a suit in Calvert County".

Unfortunately, Calvert Co., MD, records were destroyed in a court house fire.

Robert JARMAN (or GERMAN), c1680-1761, and John JARMAN were brothers. They also had a sister Ann, wife of John YOE who d. c1733. The JARMANs and many of the YOEs moved to Queen Anne's Co., MD, in 1730s.

german@jarman.net

Re: John CHEW, d. c1733, Maryland

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 3:54AM GMT
I try to go to the "Yoe" reunion each June. Not all records from Calvert County were lost. I had the chance to go there and review some records for the Yoes. Sincerely, Charlene Pingitore

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 4:29AM GMT
Surnames: JARMAN YOE
Did you find much on the Yoe family in Calvert Co. in the early to mid 1700s? I especially want to know more about Ann (Jarman) Yoe; what became of her after her husband John Yoe died about 1733? Who was her father? Her mother's name was also Ann, but what was her mother's maiden name? I'd also like to know who the daughters of John Yoe married in either Calvert or Queen Anne's Counties.

My email address is german@jarman.net

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 8:40PM GMT
Give me a day or two and I'll pull out all the Yoe documents & records that I was able to find while researching the Yoe's. I recognize the name Ann Jarman. I'll see what I can find for you.
Charlene

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 2:45AM GMT

Any information on his slaves?

On a Sunday evening in October 1814,2 General Saunders escaped with David Saunders and Harry Quary, both slaves of John H. Chew, and Elleck, a slave of William Ward.3 Saunders' sister had encouraged him to escape, but did not accompany him.4 The four men reached the British sloop-of-war Dauntless, part of a squadron lying near Sharp's Island in the Chesapeake Bay by the Choptank River's mouth.5 General and David Saunders had transferred to the HMS Orlando by March 6, 1815.6

http://www.msa.md.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc5400/sc5496/050...

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: CHEW, STOUFFER
Could your John H. Chew be connected with my William Howard Chew, father of William Howard, Jr; John Henry, and Samuel? The sons were born between 1815 and 1830, possibly in Carroll Co., MD. Wm. H., Sr. md. Elizabeth Stouffer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic