Search for content in message boards

Christian Gutknecht of Germantown

Christian Gutknecht of Germantown

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Christian Gutknecht was born in Bischweiler Germany on 25 Jun 1722. He was baptized at the Reformed Church in Bischweiler on 28 June 1722. His date of birth was calculated from the records of the Germantown Reformed Church records, which state he was buried on 27 December 1795, having died the previous day, at the age of 73 years, 6 months and 2 days. The church records of Bischweiler and the Bischweiler Stammtafeln yield the following information. Johann Gutknecht, carpenter, was born 18 January 1691 and died 18 July 1762. He married first, Anna Barbara Kieffer, born 25 Mar 1688 and was buried on 4 Mar 1726 at Bischweiler, age 38 years. To them were born four children; Johan Adam born 1719 buried 17 Jan 1719; Maria Eva baptized 10 Mar 1720, married to Jean Fischer, son of Jean Paul Fischer, on 25 Feb 1740, at the French Reformed Church; Christian born 25 Jun 1722, married 25 Apr 1746 at Bischweiler to Maria Magdalena Grunholtz; Maria Magdalena (Gutknecht) baptized 3 Jun 1725, buried 23 Aug 1725 at Bischweiler, age 11 Weeks. After the death of his first wife, Johann married second, 10 Feb 1727, to Mary Magdalena Grob, born ca 1695, buried 20 Sep 1741 at Bischweiler. Johann and Mary Magdalena had six children; Anna Barbara, baptized 11 Jul 1728, buried 9 Apr 1730 age 2 years; Maria Esther, baptized 6 May 1731, buried 19 Jul 1731; Johann Peter, baptized 5 May 1734, buried 24 May 1734, age 3 weeks one day; Johannes, baptized 3 Apr 1735, buried 2 Sep 1736 age 1 year, 5 months 2 days; Anna Maria Elisabetha, baptized 4 Dec 1737, died at 2 years of dysentery, buried 28 Jul 1739; Johann Jacob, baptized 29 May 1740, could find no death for him in either church records or stammtafel. After the death of Maria Magdalena, Johann Gutknecht, carpenter, married third, 9 Apr 1742 to Anna Maria Sutter, widow of Jacob Sutter. She was born 1684 died 3 Feb 1744. Christian Gutknecht, tobacco preparer, married Maria Magdalena Grunholtz, daughter of the late Johan Michael Grunholtz on 25 Apr 1746. She was born 25 Apr 1723 at Bischweiler. Seven children of Christian and Maria Magdalena; Maria Magdalena, born 6 Feb 1747, baptized 8 Feb 1747; Maria Elisabetha, born 17 nov 1748, baptized 20 Nov 1748 and married 24 Apr 1770 at Germantown Reformed to Christopher Henrici; Elisabeth, born around 1753, confirmed 1768 Germantown; Christian, born around 1756, confirmed 7 Apr 1772 age 16, married by 1789 to Elizabeth Rittenhouse, and their children were Deborah, born 16 Jun 1790, baptized at Germantown; Susanna, born 24 Nov 1795 and baptized at Germantown, John, born 6 Aug 1798, died 10 Jan 1823 in Philadelphia, buried First Dutch Reformed: Samuel, born around 1762 confirmed Easter 1779; Catherine, born 14 Jan 1764 baptized 19 Feb 1764; John Christopher, born 2 Oct 1769 baptized 16 Nov 1769.

There is further information on the Grunholtz line in the Church Records and the Bischweiler Stammtafeln.

I believe the evidence indicates that Christian Gutknecht of Germantown and Christian Gutknecht of Bischweiler Germany are one and the same. From the church records that I examined, there was no evidence to indicate that Johan Michael Gutknecht and Johan Georg Gutknecht, more commonly known as Michael and George Goodnight, were siblings of Christian Gutknecht of Germantown. Perhaps a link can be found further back to indicate they are related, but not as siblings. I believe the Gutknechts originated in Switzerland and migrated into Germany during the many wars in that area.

Re: Christian Gutknecht of Germantown

Posted: 3 Apr 2009 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: GOODNIGHT GUTKNECHT
Hi Bud
Great to hear from you again on the list.
Thank you for the report on your research on Christian.
If George and Michael were not siblings, maybe they were cousins? As I understand it, the Philadelphia Gutnecht family seemed to be aware of the doings of the other families.
But Christian is my direct ancestor so this info really means a lot to me.
Janet Kelch

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 5:30PM GMT
Janet

Thank you. I hope the information is valuable to you.

The story of the awareness of the Gudknecht Family to the doings of the other families came from a letter written to Reverend Cloyd Goodnight by Asbury Goodnight on February 6, 1914. In it he stated, "Among the letters which I received was a letter from a very old lady in Philadelphia by the name of Gudknecht and she seemed to know about as much about the Indian masacree as I did." This was Sara E Gudknecht, daughter of Curtis E Gudknecht born 1839, who was the youngest son of John Gudknecht, born 1798 at Germantown, son of Christian and Christian was the son of emigrant Christian.

I am not sure where her information came from and I have not seen the letter that Asbury referred to. It is possible that during her research the names came up, how they met their end and since she had discovered deeds with the names Gutknecht, Gudknecht, Goodneck, and Goodnight all used interchangeably, she may have jumped from square one to home. And yes, it is possible that Christian, Michael and George were related. But still to be determined is the actual relationship of Michael and George.

Bud

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Gutknecht
Bud, Thank you for supplying this information on Christian Gutknecht. Could you please tell me where I might obtain a copy of the original sources of your information?

R.Bennett

Posted: 31 Oct 2009 7:34PM GMT
Hello R Bennett

I am sorry but I am not at home now. I will return in a couple of weeks. The information cited in the original message was from the Church Records of Bischweiller and the Bischweiller Stammtafeln, but I do not have the specific records handy now. How are you connected to the Goodnights?

Bud Goodnight

Posted: 1 Nov 2009 5:34PM GMT
Hello Bud,

Thank you for your reply. I know that in your original letter, you said you found the information in the church records, but I would like to know where you found the church records. Was it through family search, ancestry, or what? I did locate a copy of the book " 18th Century Records of the Germantown Reformed Church of Pennsylvania" by F. Edward Wright at the Denver, CO public library. It contained records of births & baptisms of several Gutknechts, as well as a record of Christian Gutknecht's death and burial in 1795. I located another book at the same library called "Pennsylvania German Marriages" by Donna Irish that contained a record of Elizabeth Rittenhouse Gutknect's death in 1802 and Deborah Gutknecht's marriage to Jacob Ziegler in 1812. I am trying to locate as many of the actual records of other events in the Gutknecht line, as possible. My husband is a descendant of Christian Gutknecht and Elizabeth Rittenhouse, through their son John. I have a copy of their faded marriage certificate that has been in the family for many years.

Renee Bennett

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 12:30AM GMT
Renee

I am back home. You can contact me at res0a0cn@verizon.net and I will try to answer your questions.

Bud Goodnight

Posted: 29 Aug 2010 1:42AM GMT
Thanks for this information Bud, it is very helpful.

Posted: 3 Sep 2010 7:41PM GMT
Surnames: Goodnight
Hi Bud
I just discovered that I apparently never saw this reply to one of my letters to you. Over a year ago!
Anyway, thanks again.
Janet k

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 3:38PM GMT
If you read the book on the Goodnight family in the united states....S.H. Goodnight, 1936 you will find that they are brothers.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions