Search for content in message boards

Schodack Schermerhorns

Schodack Schermerhorns

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 1:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Sep 2011 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: George J. Schermerhorn
I am looking for anyone who has documentation on the Schodack line of Schermerhorns. In particular, the George J. Schermerhorn lineage from Schodack to Milford, NY. My husband's great-great grandfather is Henry P. Schermerhorn and from all accounts I can find, appears to be related to Philip G., son of George. The dates would be 1700-1850.

I tried contacting a woman who indicated that she had the Schermerhorn-Kittle family Bible with those names listed, but her email returned as undeliverable, same as for the webmaster of that site-the entry appears to only be 5 years old.

Re: Schodack Schermerhorns

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Schermerhorn, Van Vechten
I am the Son of a Son of a Schodack Schermerhorn and I will look in my notes this weekend. I am a patrilneal descnedant of Hendrick Jacobse Schermerhorn of Schodack, a Revolutionary War veteran of the Battle for Saratoga, 1777. He was the son of Jacob Jacobse Schermerhorn ("Jacob, Jr.") and Antje Van Vechten. His Eldest son, Jacob Hendrickse Schermerhorn used his land Bounty Rights to move west to Charlestown and later Oneida County where he started a mill on the West Canada Creek...

Re: Schodack Schermerhorns

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:59PM GMT
Thank you so much! After very careful researching of birth dates, I believe that I have the wrong father.

My husband's relative is Henry P. Schermerhorn, who married Sally Elizabeth Ackley from Milford, NY. They were listed as living in Laurens, NY in 1850 and I've found other documents showing that he and his young family moved to Union, IA and that he was a blacksmith by trade. I cannot find his father, which would link him to the Schodack Schermerhorns.

Re: Schodack Schermerhorn — Henry P. Schermerhorn Connection?

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 8:29PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Schermerhorn, Ackley, Kittle
After trying to find connections to Uriah Schermerhorn, I am back to my original "hunch." I've been relooking at some of my prior research on Henry P Schermerhorn.

I have long suspected that Henry P. Schermerhorn (1825-1882) is the son of Philip George Schermerhorn of Portlandsville, NY. That would make Henry's son, Phillip Gordon Schermerhorn (1860-1939), his grandson.

In the 1830 census, I see two sons listed under the "NY Philip" as being 5 and under (one listed as 6-10). In 1840 census, I see that one of the younger sons is listed as being 10-15 years of age. In 1850, only one son is listed under Philip's census. But in the town of Laurens, I see Henry P. Schermerhorn listed with his wife Sally Ackley. This would be correct, time-wise, since Henry would have been married and living on his own at the time of the 1850 census.

Also, the "NY Philip" is listed as being the second blacksmith in the town of Portlandville, having moved from Schodock, NY in 1826. "My" Henry worked as a blacksmith after moving to Floyd county Iowa in 1855 with his wife and two daughters (Nancy and Louisa). His son Philip Gordon Schermerhorn was born in Marble Rock, IA in 1860. Henry married Sally Elizabeth Ackley (of the James Ackley family) of Milford, NY and moved "out west" with the entire Ackley family during the Western Expansion.

The locations, census' and dates would highly indicate the Philip–to Henry–to Phillip connection. Most family trees only list one son in 1850 and many daughters. I've heard mention of the Schermerhorn/Kittle family Bible that could have some documentation but I have been unsuccessful in locating its current owner.

Any suggestions of where to look next?

Debbie

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 7:22PM GMT
Hi Debbie,

I descend from George J. and Elizabeth Kittle Schermerhorn of Schodack and Milford Center, New York through Nicholas Kittle Schermerhorn, brother to Philip G., whom you are trying to connect to. The "Milford Center" Philip G. (12Oct1801-Mar1890) was married to Marya Van Valkenburg(15Dec1822) and later Mary Ann Burnside(12Apr1811-13Jan1887). Philip died at Cooperstown Junction, Otsego County, New York. Philip did have a son named Henry P. b.1825 and d.1905 who married Jane Houck (1841-1915). I hope this helps.

Chris

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 11:47PM GMT
Chris--

Oh my goodness—this was super helpful! Thank you so very much!
Do you have a family tree and would I have your permission to view it? You should be able to see my trees—they are all "public."

Debbie

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 11:55PM GMT
PS—I do know that my Henry was born in Otsego county in 1825, but according to his death records he died in 1882 in Iowa. Here is his profile: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17109806/person/18026354466

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 1:01PM GMT
Hi Debbie,

What is your source for your Henry's birth in Otsego County?

Chris

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 5:41AM GMT
Hi Chris—

The notation about Henry being born in Ostego county comes from another branch of the family: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/11870737/person/-381796044?pg...

Lillian Schermerhorn was Henry's granddaughter. Her son, Floyd Reid, related to his family (Annie Reid), that his mother talked about Henry being born in Otsego county. This is why I've been focusing my search for his documentation in the Milford/Laurens area. But I have not found proof of his birth.

In the Ackley family history, my husband's gg-grandmother's family is listed as being members of the Baptist church in Milford Center. Also, in the town history of Milford, there is a notation that your family started attending the same church shortly after moving into the area in 1819. I don't know if you've been in contact with the Baptist Church, but that is a possibility for finding christening and marriage records.

Debbie

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 12:04PM GMT
Hi Debbie,

Here is some info which may be helpful:

George Schermerhorn (Henry's father)was a member of the Milford Center Baptist Church, being #133 on the list of members and his wife being #132. According to records of the Milford Center Baptist Church, George and wife Elizabeth, Nicholas and wife Elizabeth, Henry G. and his wife Elizabeth and others left the Church in 1833 to form a second Milford Baptist Church, this one at Edson's Corners. Henry G. Schermerhorn and his wife came back to Milford Center Baptist Church in 1856 but George and his wife never rejoined.
In 1837, another group of pilgrims were sent out for the purpose of forming a society in Oneonta, New York and thus we have the beginnings of the First Baptist Church of Oneonta. Amoung those sent out was Margaret C. Folmsbee, daughter of George Schermerhorn.

Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions