Search for content in message boards

Ephraim Witcher b. abt 1749 Pittsylvania Co VA, d. 1816 Pittsylvania Co VA

Ephraim Witcher b. abt 1749 Pittsylvania Co VA, d. 1816 Pittsylvania Co VA

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Witcher
There has been much confusion regarding the Ephraim Witcher (b. 1749, d. 1816 Pittsylvania Co VA)who married Jensey Adams Rowden and another Ephraim Witcher who married Elizabeth Phipps.

I have copies of documents from Pittsylvania Co VA which may shed some light on the Ephraim who married Jensey Adams Rowden.

11Feb1796 Marriage Bond for Ephraim Witcher and Jensey Rowden

Letter of Consent for Jensey Adams Rowden to marry Ephraim Witcher from her mother Sally Rowden.

15Apr1816 Orders 17-130 William and Vincent Witcher qualified as administrators of estate of Ephraim Witcher dec'd

19Jan1818 Vincent Witcher appointed quardian of Eliza, Nancy, James and Agnes Witcher, orphans of Ephraim Witcher, decd

William Witcher appointed guardian of Ephraim Witcher, orphan of Ephraim Witcher decd

19Feb1820 Accts Current Partial Division of the estate of Ephraim Witcher decd. Heirs: Caleb Witcher; Giny Law, formerly Witcher, Agnes Witcher; Elizabeth Wingfield, formerl Witcher, Ephraim Witcher; James Witcher; Nancy Witcher. Report of Peyton Graves, Peyton Young, James Nowlin

Ephraim Witcher, who was orphaned at the death of Ephraim Witcher(m. Jensey Adams Rowden) is my ancestor. He married Nancy Young and moved to MO between 1840 and 1850 along with several of his siblings and their families. He and Nancy can be found in the 1850 and 1860 MO census'. They lived in Pettis and Saline counties.

It appears that it would be difficult for the Ephraim Witcher who married Elizabeth Phipps and lived in NC to be the same Ephraim who married Jensey. Ephraim and Jensey had children, who are mentioned in his estate, and were born in the same time frame as Ephraim and Elizabeth Phipps children appear to be born. Perhaps the Ephraim who married Elizabeth Phipps is nephew of William Witcher.

Does anyone have any other information on the Ephraim Witcher who married Elizabeth Phipps?

If anyone would like digital copies of the documents mentioned above please correspond through- hodges.genealogy@cox.net

Julie (Hodges) Rush
Gilbert AZ

Re: Ephraim Witcher b. abt 1749 Pittsylvania Co VA, d. 1816 Pittsylvania Co VA

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 2:25PM GMT
Dear rushgen2,
I am descended from Ephraim Witcher through Elizabeth Wingfield.
I agree that there is much confusion with the Surry Co. NC Ephraim.
Is it possible that we have skipped a generation?? Have you seen any indication that this Ephraim is a grandson to Capt. William Witcher. Is it possible that he is Ephraim the son of William Jr.?????

Sincerely,
Vicki Piper

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 7:22PM GMT
Dear rushgen2,
Had you noticed rootsweb database walker9th showing our Ephraim as son to the Ephraim of Surry Co. NC.?? This is definately a problem for us.
Also I see 3 death certificates in Missouri for children of James and Nancy Witcher Hodges.

Sincerely,
Vicki Piper

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: WITCHER, ROWDEN, PHIPPS
Does this help? From "Virginia Marriages" at ancestry - com;
Spouse 1: Rowden, Jensey Adams
Spouse 2: Witcher, Ephraim
Marriage Date: 11 Feb 1796
Marriage Location: Virginia
Pittsylvania County

DAR (which can be in error) has it that E Witcher who married E Phipps is the son of Rev War William Witcher whose wife may be _______ Majors:

The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 41
page 88
Mrs. Eula Wise Witcher Carithers.
DAR ID Number: 40231
Born in Crawford, Georgia.
Wife of James Yancy Carithers.
Descendant of Capt. William Witcher, of Virginia.
Daughter of William Thomas Witcher and Matilda Sherwood Wise, his wife, m. 1869.
Granddaughter of Ambrose Witcher (1808-85) and Mary Olive, his wife, m. 1837.
Gr.-granddaughter of Benjamin Witcher (1788-1859) and Sarah McElroy, his wife.
Gr.-gr.-granddaughter of Ephraim Witcher (d. 1820) and Elizabeth Phipps, his wife.
Gr.-gr.-gr.-granddaughter of William Witcher and — Majors, his wife.William Witcher served as captain of militia of Pittsylvania county. He was vestryman of Camden Parish, 1769, and was prominent in that county where his will is recorded and where, in 1808, he died.

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 3:09AM GMT
Does anyone have an abstract of the Surry Co - Ephraim's Last Will?
North Carolina Wills pg 572
WITCHER, Ephraim 092 1820 WB - 3/144

I find him in the 1810 Surry Co NC census with :
Free White Males Under 10: 2
Free White Males 10 to 15: 2
Free White Males 16 to 25: 2
Free White Males 26 to 44: 2
Free White Males 45 and Over: 1
Free White Females Under 10: 2
Free White Females 45 and Over: 2
Numbers of Slaves: 9
Number of Household Members Under 16: 6
Number of Household Members Over 25: 5
Number of Household Members: 13

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 3:20AM GMT
10 Dec 1799 Wither, Caleb Rowden, Giddy
11 Feb 1796 Witcher, Ephram Adams, Jensey
Pittsylvania Marriages:

http://files.usgwarchives.org/va/pittsylvania/vitals/marriag...

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 3:29AM GMT
Dear stargate02,
I spotted a message on the Withcer board today that has an abstract of Surry Co. NC Ephraim Witcher will, the message is written by Barbara WalkerG dated Aug 30, 2008 and the subject is Re: Caleb Witcher Family. I will paste the pertinent info below:

Surry County, NC, Will Abstracts. 3:144. Surry Co., NC: Will of Ephraim (E) Witcher, 18 Nov. 1819. Children: Betsey Witcher, Nancy Witcher, and William. Son Lacy to have 83 acres called Lacefield’s Place. Son Benjamin to have negro boy Allen. Wife - Betsey. Exec: Stephen Potter, Lacy Witcher. Wit: Benjamin Potter, Leonard Roy. Proved Feb Court 1820.
(Note: The 1817 Surry Co. Tax list shows Ephraim Witcher with 443 A on Mitchells River with 4 slaves and John Witcher with 1 wp, 1 bp. Stephen Potter served in the War of 1812 from Surry Co. There are estate papers at the NC Archives.)

I am descended from the Ephraim Witcher whose estate is probated in Pittsylvania Co. Va. and he was married the Jensey Adams (Rowden).

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: WITCHER
Yes it appears they could not be the same Ephraim Witcher - I know of only two children (but there are likely more) for E PHIPPS and E WITCHER ; they are

Sarah b 1785 died abt 1838 Paulding Co GA -married Asa PRYOR

Benjamin b 1788 married Frances McELROY NC or GA

I have a question --why do so many trees have Ephraim W marrying Jinsa/Jensey both born abt 1783? That would mean they were both age 13 when they married --this is ridiculous.

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: WITCHER
Getting confused now - Jencey - maiden name Rowden? and married an Adams before marrying Ephraim?

And the 1799 marriage rec showing Caleb Witcher's marriage to Giddy Rowden- this is not Ginsey?

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 4:09AM GMT
So there isn't a Sarah Witcher Pryor mentioned at all in the Will abstract of Ephraim who died in Surry Co NC. Back to the drawing board for me.

1850 United States Federal Census > Georgia > Paulding > Georgia Militia District 848
HH 272 272
Asa Prior 66 b NC
Ephraim 43 b GA, deaf and dumb
Middleton 41 b GA deaf and dumb
Lucius 23 " deaf and dumb
Abigail 21 b GA deaf and dumb
Angeline 19 " deaf and dumb
Daniel Witcher 54 Postmaster, NC
E R King 24 School teacher, SC

Next HH is Asa and Sarah's son, Dr. Wm Prior. They also had son Andrew Jackson Pryor who removed to Rusk Co TX.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions