Search for content in message boards

What Tribe in Va and WVA ?

What Tribe in Va and WVA ?

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Mar 2004 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Native American
Can anyone tell me what tribe of Native American was living in Lee co. va and McDowell co. WVA in the early 1900's I hope that is the right way to ask the question. Thanks in advance. Sue

Re: What Tribe in Va and WVA ?

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 3:08PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2004 6:59AM GMT
Sue
The simple answer to your question............
There were no "tribes" living in these areas at this time.
However, that's not to say there are not people of Indian descent in these places.

Virginia has such a long and complex history.............

If you'd like further info, there is a board for Cherokee VA and Cherokee WV.

KR

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Native American
Thank you, I did not know quite how to ask that question and did not want to offend anyone. My brother-in-laws mothers family came from Va and WVA and he thinks that his grandfather was a Native American but he didn't know for sure but from what he said i do not believe it was Cherokee, but rather Chickasaw but didn't know how to ask. I just wondered if there might have more of one rather than the other. thanks again for you reply. Sue

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 11:53AM GMT
Sue

Virginia is way outside the domain of the Chickasaw people.

For the Cherokee, parts of what became southern West Virginia and the very southwest of Virginia were on the very edges of the Old Cherokee Nation, prior to the American Revolution.

If you could post some names and dates it would really help.

It's worth noting that there are no seperate records or "rolls" in VA/WV for Indians. They are listed most often as Mulatto in Federal Records.

KR

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 12:11PM GMT
Surnames: Haynes
Thank you, I have not been able to get past the man i am looking for to know exactly where they came from originally only that he and his parents were born in VA. and that before that i couldn't even guess. but i am looking for a Joe Haynes b. 1899 in Va. His first wife was named Ella and he married a second time to a Pearl. I believe Pearl might have been married before also. Joe and Ella are on the 1920 census for WVA and Joe and Pearl are on the 1930 census for Lee co. VA. before that i don't know where Joe was. thanks again for your reply. I was just told that he was Native American but have no proof of this as yet. Sue

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 4:43PM GMT
Sue

The only thing I can suggest is the usual genealogy stuff.
Try and get copies of birth, death, marriage records, obituaries, SS applications etc.
The census records you've got will give some clues. Are they listed mulatto ?

As for "proof"...........well, that's kinda tricky.
There are only 8 state recognised tribes in VA, none of whom are in the areas you mention.
However if you can go back a generation or two, find locations, that may help.

Please feel free to post to the two boards I mentioned or email direct.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Haynes
unfortunatly that is my problem, everyone who would know the information i need is gone. I am doing this for my brother-in-law and he only remembers him as a young boy. He never asked any of the questions you and i might ask. So i have only the location of Lee co. Va and McDowell co. WVA. The census lists him as being White. And my bro-in-law insists he was Native American. I will just have to keep searching like all good genealogists until that clue pops up. thanks for your help. It has help some. Sue

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 11:58AM GMT
Sue

Virginia 1900 Census Index (Soundex)
Microfilm T1076-72
H453 to H520
Soundex code for HAYNES is H520 and includes HAINES HANES.

Ask at your Family History Center.
Good Luck

KR

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: haynes
Thanks i will try that, hopefully he will be on there. Sue

Posted: 6 Apr 2004 1:23PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2006 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Haynes, Estes, Hayes, Brown, Stanley
I have been reading your messages back and forth about a man named Haynes. Also a surname in my husband's family tree. My guess is that he was classified as"white" because he didn't look Indian. There are children who attend my school who are at least l/4 American Indian and can claim minority status, but they look "white". A census taker may never have even asked...just looked and assumed.

My Haynes settled in Arkansas in the mid l800's but came from Tennessee before that. Haynes is sometimes spelled as "Haynie"...as in a will we have. Before Tennessee they were in North Carolina, and before that in Maryland. The oldest one to date in his line is John Haynes SR l754. Other names married into are Hayes, Brown, Stanley.

Anything that rings a bell, contact me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions