Search for content in message boards

Confusion re Legal Certification -Wrong Name

Confusion re Legal Certification -Wrong Name

Posted: 16 Jan 2008 9:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have an original marriage certificate from 1894 of my Great Grandparents, which states that my Great Grandfathers fathers name was JOHN. I naturally used this as my starting point on Ancestry last year, well you would, wouldn't you ?

However, on obtaining a copy my Great Grandfathers birth certificate, I found that his father was in actual fact called GEORGE. Furthermore, GEORGE died in 1867 some 27 years BEFORE his son would wed.

Anyone else had such problems?

Anyone offer an explanation ?

Re: Confusion re Legal Certification -Wrong Name

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 4:31AM GMT
Do you know the nationality/ethnicity? I was wondering whether they might be Germanic. I ask because the Germans would quite possibly have used the name Johan George or John George and John would be the prename or saints name used only for religious records while George would be the call name he went by.

Joan

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 3:34PM GMT
So THAT's why have my German relations have birth names like Eduard Gustav and George Charles but all the later documents say "Gustav" and "Charles" or "G. Charles." I have been very confused and found myself wondering (from time to time) if these men were really the men I was looking for.

While I'm on the subject, I do have something I'm thinking has got to have been a mistake along the same lines. I have a copy of my great great grandmother's death certificate. It gives her mother's maiden name as the same as her own while her father's name is different.

Great great grandmother: Martha Kurzenknabe (maiden name)
Her mother's name: Gertrude Kurzenknabe
Her father's name: Henry Rohrich

Now, shouldn't those two surnames be switched?

Thanks,
Barbara

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 9:49PM GMT
perhaps the parents were not married?

Joan

Posted: 30 Jan 2008 4:10AM GMT
I suppose that's possible. I don't suppose I'll ever know since I can't think of how to get a copy of her birth certificate. All I know is Germany.

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Kurzenknabe
Hi Barbara,

Do you have information on the Kurzenknabe descendants in your family? I think we could be distantly related, I have a great great great grandfather, Ludvig Kurzenknabe who was born in Hochenkirchen, Prussia (at the time) in 1864 and then came to the U.S., he had a daughter named Anna Gertrude Kurzenknabe born in 1858. The only discrepancy is that I have Ludvig as being married to a Sabine Sabina Brock (Anna Gertrude's mother), and then a Christine (unknown maiden name) as a second wife. Maybe Ludvig had a brother I don't know about? Looking forward to hearing from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions