Search for content in message boards

In JF Pringle's, "Old U.E. Loyalists List," What Does "A.Mc.L." Stand For, Please?

In JF Pringle's, "Old U.E. Loyalists List," What Does "A.Mc.L." Stand For, Please?

Jan Mongoven (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2004 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PRENTICE, PRENTISS
Hello~

In the book by JF Pringle, "The Old United Empire Loyalists List," the following is written in Appendix B. (p. 238) about my g-g-g-g-grandfather, RICHARD PRENTICE:

"E. District, 1785 - Called Loyalist by G. Hamilton, 100. A.Mc.L. a Blacksmith. Stamped Book."

Am I correct in assuming that he lived in the Old Eastern District (I am positive this is in Charlottenburgh, based on land records for his older brother, Daniel Prentice) as of 1785? And that he was called Loyalist by Governor Hamilton? That he was granted 100 acres? I can't find what the abbreviation A.Mc.L. stands for. Could somebody please tell me? Also, I'm not sure exactly which "book" was "stamped." I'd truly appreciate any help you could give me. Thank so much.

Sincerely,
Jan Mongoven

Re: In JF Pringle's, "Old U.E. Loyalists List," What Does "A.Mc.L." Stand For, Please?

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2004 10:17PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 2:27AM GMT
Surnames: Prentice, Crowder
Richard Prentice found in:

Canadian Genealogy Index, 1600s-1900s
Event: Living
Year: 1784
Place: Kingston Township
Province of record source: Ontario
County of record source: Frontenac
Source: Norman K. Crowder, Early Ontario Settlers, A Source Book, Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., Baltimore, Maryland, 1993.
Volume/Page(s): 63

1784 Provisioning Lists:
Return of Disbanded Troops and Loyalists settled in Township No. 1 Cataraqui (Kingston); mustered this 9th October 1784

Richard Prentice, 1 man, 1 total, 1 rations per day, acres cleared: 1; on his land, back concession

From reading the list you mentioned, it seems that perhaps his actual service was not readily proven and so he was said to be a Loyalist by someone who was of some authority. Unfortunately, from the list of abbreviations, it does not give what A.McL. stands for, although it may be another Loyalist.

Re: In JF Pringle's, "Old U.E. Loyalists List," What Does "A.Mc.L." Stand For, Please?

Jan Mongoven (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2004 11:12PM GMT
Hello Eileen~

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've got Richard in Crowder's book, too. Apparently, Governor Hamilton was the man who vouched for his being a Loyalist...at least, that's what I gather from p. 238 of JF Pringle's book, "The Old United Empire Loyalists List." Still, the A.Mc.L remains a mystery. Thanks again for your response.

Jan

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 6:38AM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Edmonds
How would someone get a copy of that book?
I would love to know if my Edmonds family was listed any where in there!
Thomas Jefferson Edmonds?
Would love to know.
Thank you.

Eileen (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2004 11:01AM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Edmonds, Smith, Swart
You can take a free two-week trial subscription to genealogy.com as it is part of their International & Passenger Records -- The Ontario Register. I have the following for you from that volume:

Thomas J. Edmonds m. Susanah Smith, both of Windham, 20 July 1836, witn: Ira Smith and William Swart; by Rev. John Harris, Regular Baptist Church, London District Marriage Registers

You don't mention what timeframe your Thomas J. would have been born. I have only been able to find references to him as perhaps a veteran of the War of 1812:

Thomas Edmonds found in:

Canadian Genealogy Index, 1600s-1900s
Event: Born
Year: Abt 1792
Province of record source: Ontario
Source: Eric Jonasson, Canadian Veterans of the War of 1812, Wheatfield Press, Winnipeg, 1981.
Volume/Page(s): 32

Sheryle DePirro (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2004 2:07PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 2:32AM GMT
Okay for the time frame of the war. It would have been his ggrandfather.

George Edmonds: 12 Oct 1735,Simsbury, Hartford Co., CT married to Elizabeth Baldwin: 15 Oct 1742,Oblong, Dutchess Co., NY.
Had a son:George Washington Edmonds:18 May 1779,Oblong, Dutchess County, NY

I was told they were Loyalists and wondered if they were on the list.
Thank you again.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 2:33AM GMT
I don't think Thomas Jefferson Edmonds's family were Loyalists. His name would indicate a Patriot inclination. Also his brothers were George Washington and James Madison Edmonds. Would like to exchange info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions