Search for content in message boards

McLeod/MacLeod

McLeod/MacLeod

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLeod/MacLeod
My McLeod ancestors came from Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland and Thurso, Scotland. They settled in Moose Factory, Ontario, working for the Hudson Bay Company.
Awhile back, I had been working on my family tree, and some how ended up with one of my McLeod's (MacLeod) being related to some Mc/MacLeod's that actually settled in Glengarry county.
However, upon checking dates, I noticed that a father was younger than a son. I deleted that line, and now the whole thing is gone.
I am wondering if anyone has information for their Mc/MacLeod's going back to Halkirk, Caithness or Thurso.
I do have information back to my 3rd great grandfather on the Halkirk McLeod's and 4th great grandfather on the Thurso MacLeod's.
I now live in Glengarry County, and would be thrilled to know I might be related to someone that lives here.
Thank you.
Wendy

Re: McLeod/MacLeod

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 4:40PM GMT
Do you have or have access to the "MacLeods of Glengarry" There may be some info there which wld help in your search. I am a MacLeod on my mothers side and did do some research on that side of the family but they were mainly from the Isle of Skye and Inverness

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: McLeod/MacLeod
I was wondering about that book. Is it available at the library?
Thanks for answering.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:46AM GMT
This book was published in 60's or 70's and is likely out of print. I scanned my copy which I had given to my daughter and have it on my computer. I may be able to put it on a CD for you. E-mail me at "rancheroo2@yahoo.ca

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 11:47AM GMT
I doubt it is available at most libraries. You could try your local ones. You may also want to try the following:
R&L Books in Alexandria 613 525 9949
David Anderson Books Williamstown 613 347 7192

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:12PM GMT
Thanks, my friend owns R&L Books, I will give her a call, and I have also had dealings with David Anderson before, in finding a rare book.
Thanks for your help.
Wendy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic