Search for content in message boards

Samuel Smith m. Nancy Hopper ancestry a couple of clues

Samuel Smith m. Nancy Hopper ancestry a couple of clues

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith Browe
In researching Samuel Smith's origins a few clues exist. The first comes from a 3rd party that overheard a researcher of the Smith line, and showed them information that Samuel Smith came from Massachusetts. The second possible clue comes from the naming of his son Elam Smith. This unusual name is found in some Massachusetts Smith families. A third clue comes from his daughter Ann. Ann Smith b. abt 1845 in Chatham Tp., Kent, ON m. perhaps twice. The first marriage may have been to James Mckenzie of Chatham ON on the 25 Feb. 1863. Ann then married (only once if the 1863 marriage is wrong) John Baptiste Browe (Breault/Bro/Broe etc.) son of Edward Brault and Catherine Guerin. The clue comes from the fact that John's family had moved to Westborough, Worcester, Massachusetts after the death of Edward Brault in 1854 (Quebec). John Browe and Annie Smith are married and living in Westborough, Worcester, MA in 1873 (as recorded in their son Joseph George Brow's birth record). It is possible that Annie Smith ended up in Westborough among family before she married John Browe. And add to that that their oldest son John Browe (b. bet. 1868-1871 - who could be from Mckenzie marriage or Browe) also claimed to be born in Massachusetts. So, Massachusetts in the Worcester area could be where Samuel's family originated.

Re: Samuel SMITH m. Nancy HOPPER ancestry a couple of clues

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, HOPPER
What research have you done - Searched Census - Church Records -
Starting with the current family - and working back - to ensure following the correct family line.
3rd party information - though interesting - may not be absolute -
even info posted to some Genealogy sites - may not be correct - without proper documentation.
Some persons - eager for family tree - may jump to conclusions - and connect unrelated families - Different when family Surnames are very unusual -

Cheers & Good Luck

Re: Samuel SMITH m. Nancy HOPPER ancestry a couple of clues

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2013 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Hopper Browe
First of all thank you for your cryptic remarks.

I have been researching this family for over 20 years. I began as you state with family members, newspaper clippings, pictures, etc. This provided me with my great great grandparents John Browe/Brault b. 10 Mar. 1844 in St. Jean, Quebec. John married Annie Smith b. abt 1845. Their parentage of the children was proven by the marriage records for the children (and birth record of their son Joseph in Westborough, MA). This was also confirmed by the census of 1881 for Camden Tp., Kent, ON. When working through the records it was noted that John Brow's widowed mother, and living siblings (except one) all moved to Westborough, MA (including John). The question was, and still is, why did Annie? I began an extensive search of the records to find Annie Smith's ancestry. The first clue, came from the fact that my great great uncle George Brow age 15 was living with his aunt Jane Turrill as recorded in the 1891 census of Chatham Tp., Kent, ON. The second clue was that Jane Turrill was the daughter of Samuel Smith and Nancy Hopper. The third clue was that the 1851 Census involving Samuel Smith of Chatham Tp. records a daughter Ann age 7 (which is the age my Annie Smith would have been at the time). The fourth clue came from the 1921 census which has a Browe cousin of mine living with Elam Smith Jr. and being referred to as a cousin of Elam Smith. On top of that, are some more circumstantial clues - for example my great grandmother was named Nancy Annie Browe. Annie Smith's mother was Nancy Hopper. A French researcher, Amedee Emery, once told me that a French person living in the Thamesville area was unheard of... yet there was John Browe. The answer is associated with the Smith family. It seems from the 1863 marriage record that Annie Smith married James McKenzie. I could not find the birth for John Browe Jr. in Massachusetts, however, he consistently stated that he had been born in Massachusetts. It may turn out that he was Annie's son by James McKenzie. Or, he may be from John Browe as well. I once interviewed his descendants, and they indicated an adoption - perhaps him? But without the records, just hearsay.

So, the probability that Annie Smith m. John Browe is Annie Smith daughter of Samuel Smith and Nancy Hopper is overwhelming. It makes sense of the data. A marriage record for John Browe and Annie Smith would be convenient, but as to this date, one has not been found.

As to the clues for Samuel Smith - I know how confusing Smiths can be, I descend from another Samuel Smith of Massachusetts on my Dexter side. However, given the fact that Annie was in Westborough (as per her son's birth record), and given that her other son John always said he was born in Massachusetts - Westborough, Worcester, MA is a good place to look for Samuel Smith's family. Why would Annie b. Ontario in 1845 end up in Westborough. A working theory could be work, or family in the area. Westborough may not be where Samuel Smith was born. He never claimed such, but he did claim his parents were born in the US - i.e. the 1891 census of Chatham Tp. Kent, ON.

So, to answer your cryptic, message, I am a very careful researcher, and am seeking to move the tree back - the query (even with the third party info) is one place to start. Again, thank you for the reminder to put facts out there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions