Search for content in message boards

Archibald MacDonell/ Ann McGillis & Ranald MacDonell/Ann Wier - Lochiel

Archibald MacDonell/ Ann McGillis & Ranald MacDonell/Ann Wier - Lochiel

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacDonell
Archibald MacDonell m. Ann McGillis - birth/death/marriage dates/places unknown - child Ranald b.1799 Ontario, m. Ann Weir 1844.

Hello, Archibald is my 3rd great grandfather. I believe that he (or possibly his father) settled in Glengarry as a result of the Highland Clearances. I have not been able to locate any information on Archibald or his family in Glengarry other than a reference to him being deceased at the time of his son Ranalds marriage.

I would like to learn more on these families and to connect Archibald MacDonell or the McGillis or Weir's back to their clans in Scotland.

Does anyone know this family and/or if I were to visit Lochiel or that general vicinity, where would be the best place to locate records on Archibald? Is there a local history center on this settlement?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Archibald MacDonell/ Ann McGillis & Ranald MacDonell/Ann Wier - Lochiel

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 6:12PM GMT
You could try out this web site location to research your ancestors.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html
Try the 1851 1871 1881 1901 Census
http://www.glengarrycounty.com/Census-sgp.html
Alex W Fraser, My MacDonalds of Loup, Lundie & Fraser line Connections V.3 might provide you with your lineage.

Cornwall is the largest city in the area
Alexandria is largest town
If you know the land location, that would provide you with information that would give details on your ancestors.
Several books have been published on families from Upper Canada.
I am a descendant from the McDonald's of Loup, my ancestors siblings was Father John.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:47PM GMT
Thank you for the tips. I will check out the interlibrary lending. I have researched a couple of books so far, and census records with limited success. Archibald would have been born prior to 1785 and possibly in Scotland.

It appears the family was primarily in Lochiel .

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 1:38PM GMT
I have an Ann McGillis b. 1783 at Glengarry Ont. Parents John McGillis,b. 1760 and Janet McMaster. b.1755
Dave

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 12:03AM GMT
There are a few listings in St. Raphael's parish on an Archibald MacDonell and Ann (Nancy) MacGillis. Birth of Marie 1809, William 1822, Catherine 1807, marriage of son Duncan to Mary Fraser 1840 and birth of Archibald MacDonell on 26 July 1840 the son of Ranald and Nancy Weir 26 July 1845. These may or may not be yours.

Tal

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 1:00AM GMT

I have Ann McGilllis daughter of John & Janet McMaster married to James Paiper.

Her siblings being: Archibald, Mary 1782-1845, Sarah Married 1807, Catherine married 1810, William 1789-1791,
Margaret 1791-1844, Ann, Isabelle unmarried, John Angus Married 1806, John died 1856, Hugh drowned age 3 yrs in Terrebonne River where family lived for 9 years before coming to Glengarry.

For John mcGillis I have his dates as 1760-1804.
Dates for Janet McMaster: 1765-1833

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 2:12AM GMT
This sounds like a promising lead! I will pick up on research there. Thank you very much!!

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 2:50PM GMT
Many Thanks opelhein,
Thats another piece of info that I needed. I am also looking for any details about
John Hugh McDonnell, 1810 Martintown, who married Flora McGillis pre 1844.
John Hugh's parents were rumoured to be Roderick McDonnell and Catherine Cameron but has yet to be documented.
Again, Thanks opelheim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions