Search for content in message boards

Historical Danish Military Uniforms

Posted: 21 Feb 2006 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jun 2006 1:19PM GMT
I found the attached photo in with family photos from my father's parents. My father's family was of entirely Danish descent. There's nothing written on the back, and I don't recognize the man in the photo from any other labeled family photos. Most of my family came from Aalborg, although one branch came from Slesvig, and that great-grandfather fought in the War of 1864.

I'm wondering whether the military dress provides any clues about time period, service, etc. I found a wonderful site (www.milhist.dk) with lots of pictures of uniforms, but the hat in this photo seems quite different from anything I found there. Does anyone know have more knowledge of Danish military uniforms than I and recognize the military dress? Or could this be a well-known Danish historical figure that would be familiar to someone born in Denmark?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated!

Cheryl S.
Attachments:

P Brun (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 7:12PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2006 4:11PM GMT
This picture is of the danish king Frederik VII.
You can compare with another picture :

http://www.sa.dk/ea/fandt2/EA/acbang.htm

Frederik 7 was born 6 oct 1808 and died 15 nov 1863.
He was king of Denmark 1848-63.
He did not have any children so after his dead the throne was given from the house of Oldenburg to the house of Glücksborg.

Cheryl S. (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2006 10:02PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2006 4:12PM GMT
I was starting to wonder if he was a famous commander or general . . . I didn't dream he was the King! Thank you!!

Cheryl S.

Re: Historical Danish Military Uniforms

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 5:13AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2007 1:35AM GMT
Hi Cheryl, My great grandfather was also in the battle of Schleswig. He was decorated for carrying their commanding officer to safety when they retreated. Your photo gives me a great start. Butch Peterson, Canada

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 1:53PM GMT
The man potrayed on this photography is king Frederik 7. of Denmark. His reign lasted from 1848 until 1863. It appears to me that he is wearing a galla uniform from the royal danish guards. The photo was probably taken in this period. Also, Frederik 7. was the last king from the Oldenborg dynasty. Despite of his obesity, he was a beloved king, known as the victor of the three years war, and also the king who allowed the establisments of democratic institutions in Denmark.
The uniforms worn by danish soldiers in the war of 1864 looked pretty much like the standard union infantry uniforms of the american civil war.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:13AM GMT
Hi there,

My g-grandfather was the doctor during the 1864 war, and has written many letters to his mother. My dad found them all and has since then given them to the Danish National Museum in Copenhagen. Along with several medels and guns.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic