Search for content in message boards

Barnes - MD, PA, KY, OH

Barnes - MD, PA, KY, OH

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2004 11:12PM GMT
Does anyone have the (missing) connecting family section for this quandary?

James BARNES, who was m. Keturah SHIPLEY…, James, immigrated to this country from Essex County, England in 1676, settling in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Information has it that James father was named Richard.

William BARNES of England was the father of son’s David, Richard and William BARNES who immigrated to this county from England in 1758.

In this country the three brothers: David purchased property and settled close to the above James and family (Anne Arundel and Baltimore County, Maryland, later Frederick which became Washington County, Maryland). Richard settled first in Pennsylvania, and then moved close to his brother David, who was established as above with the other BARNES’, brother William settled in New York.

David I’s son, David II was the founder of Barnesville, Montgomery County, Maryland. David I’s son, James was the founder of Barnesville, Belmont County, Ohio. Eventually both families emigrated to Barnesville, Belmont County, Ohio.

The passing of family information from various members, states these families are connected, cousins???, hence, James and the three brothers BARNES are related…who are those missing connections?

Caleb BARNES, Sr, m. Honour STEVENS, my 4th great-grandparents. Caleb is the son of James III, who died in Nelson County, KY, 1795.

David BARNES of the above three brother’s also had a son Caleb. Caleb was a name frequently used by both these families.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Fran

Re: Barnes - MD, PA, KY, OH

Posted: 25 Aug 2004 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Noe, Helm, Thompson
You are further along than I am . I am related to the Barnes's of Nelson County KY but I have yet to find the missing link. My great grandfather is IRvin Barnes whose parents are possibly Robert and Judith Ball Wortham of Nelson county KY. Robert Barnes being related to the Barnes's that came from PA.

I know that Irvin was born in 1858 possibly May in Nelson County as well as his parents being born in Nelson County KY. There are a few possiblities but none have the name Irvin. There is a Philip E. Barnes and a few Edwin's. I have come to the conclusion by process of elimination that Phillip E. Barnes is actuially Phillip Irvin Barnes. But if you have any info that can verify this or discredit this let me know. You may not know any of it..Its just a long shot.

I do have alot of information that I have researched on all Barnes's in KY that may be of use to you . You can email me at beccalynne21@yahoo.com

Thank you
Rebecca Barnes-Slone

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 7:30PM GMT
Let me check my research as those names are familiar. I know that I am related to Richard Adam Barnes who is buried in Bethesda cemetery in Carroll county MD. Off the top of my head, his line goes back to Adam Barnes who came here from England.

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 8:48PM GMT
I have information from a website on rootsweb which shows the descendants of Augustine Herman Bohemiensis from Prague. Sounds strange, but he lists A James Barnes b ca 1745. He was the son of Adam Barnes and Hannah Dorsey. Their children are shown as Robert, James, Peter, Joshua, Keturah, Susanna, Nathan and Richard. I am related to Richard Adams Barnes whose father was Henry, his father was Adam, his father was John, his father was Adam and his father was James. This is also found on rootsweb on the Zepp family tree. Richard Adam Barnes has 10 children, so you see this can become quite lengthy, so try to go to the websites and see if this helps. I am related through his daughter Mary who married Samuel W Stricker who was my gtreay grfth. If you need any more info or help, please feel free to email me at mikesmom61644@yahoo.com.

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes
I am also from the Barnesville, Belmont county, Ohio line.
There is an excellent book on the founding of Barnesville.
It is called (The Story of Barnesville, 1808-1940, by
Dempsey O. Sheppard, MD). I found a copy on microfische
in the Family HIstory Center thru The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). This gives great detail of the town. If you have trouble, let me know. I may be able to get a copy.
N. Sheila Baker
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions