Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Garner butcher of Maxville

Benjamin Garner butcher of Maxville

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Garner Kennedy Lewis
The book about Maxville published by the Tweedsmuir Institute has some very interesting stories about Benjamin Garner who was a butcher in Maxville, but no information about his date of death and his burial places. Also, his wife Frances Garner was still alive on the 1901 census, but not there on the 1911. Did she die? Where is she buried?

Daughter Mildred or Milly married William J. Kennedy, but I can't find them after 1901? Are they also buried in Maxville? Their daughter Mildred Frances Kennedy was living with relatives in 1911 census.
I am mostly interested in Frances Garner, nee Lewis, I would be interested in information about her.

Re: Benjamin Garner butcher of Maxville

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 6:15PM GMT
There is an obit for Benjamin Garner in one of the local newspapers dated 22 Sept. 1900 and one for a William J. Kennedy dated 9 May 1904, may not be your Wm. J.
I will look up the Glengarry News for the 1900 obit, but I do not have access to the Cornwall Freeholder.
I got this information from the website "cornwallroots.com"

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 6:43PM GMT
From Ancestry.ca

Mildred H Kennedy, died Feb 24, 1907 at Maxville, aged 39, housewife, born Toronto, died of pulmonary TB, Maxville Glengarry, Registration # 028955.

Benjamin Garner, 37, died 23 Sept 1900, butcher, b England, died of peritonitis, registration # 026001.
His age must have been entered wrong. He should be around 55 or so.

Benjamin H Garner, died 10 Dec 1902, aged 25, baker, b Toronto, died of consumption. # 025861.

Don't see any death registration for Frances.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 6:58PM GMT
I did not find a tombstone for Garner or Kennedy in the Maxville Community Cemetery.

The News, Friday, September 28, 1900, pg.1, col 3
Maxville

We regret to announce this week the death of Benjamin Garner, which occurred on Sunday, Sept. 23rd, after a week’s illness. Mr. Garner was born in England and came to this country while a young man. He was engaged in business in Cornwall for several years. He removed to Maxville about seventeen years ago and started business as Butcher and baker - doing a large trade. He was a hard working man and devoted his entire attention to his business. He was 57 years old at the time of his death. He leaves surviving a widow and three children. The family are. Mrs. Delary, of Ottawa, Miss Millicent Garner and H. B Garner, of this place. The funeral took place on Monday and was largely attended. The services were conducted by Mr. Triggerson of the Baptist Church, of which deceased was a member. The following clergymen were present and took part in the services:- Rev. Dr. P. S.Campbell, of McMaster College, Toronto; Rev. Mr. McDiarmid, of Vankleek Hill; Rev. F. W. Maccallum, of Erzroom, Asia Minor; Rev. J. Cormack and Rev. J. T. Daley.

The News, Alexandria, Ont., Friday May 13, 1904
Maxville, Col 1, pg. 2
Our citizens were called upon to pay their last sad tribute of respect on Wednesday to the memory of William J. Kennedy, Esq., who passed away on Monday after an extended illness. The deceased was a painter by trade, and a few years ago married Mildred, eldest daughter of the late Benjamin Garner, Esq., who along with one child survives him. On Wednesday the funeral took place from the residence of Mrs. B. Garner to the Maxville Cemetery, service being conduced by Mr. Hilts. of the Baptist Church, assisted by Revs J. T. Daley and H. D. Leitch.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:45PM GMT

The New, Alexandria, Ont., Friday, March 1, 1907 pg. 1, col 5.
Maxville
Among those who attended the funeral of the late Mrs. W. Kennedy on Tuesday was Mrs. Harris, of Metcalfe, who drove 20 miles through Monday’s snow storm to South Indian in order to be present to pay her last tribute of respect to her deceased friend.
Though not entirely unexpected, the death of Mrs. Wm. Kennedy, nee Mildred Garner, on Sunday is deeply regretted by our citizens. This sad event took place at the residence of her mother, Main St., North and succeeded an illness extending over several months.
The deceased was the eldest daughter and the last surviving child of the late Benjamin Garner Esq., and was predeceased, within a few short period by her father, her brother, and her sister, the late Mr. Wm. Delray.
Besides her widowed mother she is survived by and old daughter. (this is an error, should be older daughter I would think, RR)
On Tuesday the funeral took place to the Maxville Cemetery, service being conducted by Rev. J. Pirie assisted by Revs. J. T. Daley and R. McKay.
The heartfelt sympathy of the entire community is extended to the sorely bereaved friends.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:24AM GMT
Thank you very much for all this wonderful information. So probably the family is buried in Maxville but maybe the tombstone is missing. So sad that all her children predeceased poor Frances Garner. I wonder why little Mildred Frances Kennedy is with relatives on the 1911 census. I am guessing that Frances died as well. She was described as a woman of great culture in the book about Maxville.

Mrs Delary died in Ottawa circa 1904 as well. Her husband remarried, and I think her children died as well.

Thank you very much for the detailed obituaries and dod.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:42PM GMT
Thank you again for the information you posted.
I found the dod of Mrs Garner

Mrs. Ben Garner
Death
17 Jun 1909
Maxville, Glengarry, Ontario
Female

on familysearch.org but it does not give me much information. Any chance there might be an obituary? I am wondering if her surviving brothers would be named.

On the 1911 census, little Mildred Frances Kennedy, born in 1903 is living in Metcalfe, Ontario with her uncle and aunt: John Harvey Haines and his wife Catherine nee Kennedy.
I think there is a Museum in Osgoode twp, so I will follow up there.
Is there a Historical society in Maxville that might have pictures of Frances Garner or her children? I am trying to match some pictures with others. Her nephew was a photographer in Toronto.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:48PM GMT
The News, Alexandra, Ontario, Friday June 25, 1909
Maxville - pg. 1, col. 5
Note: faded and hard to read.

The Funeral of the late Mrs. B. Garner an old and respected resident of Maxville, took place on Friday the 18th inst., from her late residence Main Street north to the Maxville Cemetery. In the unavoidable absence of her pastor, Rev. G. W. Connor, the service was conducted in the Baptist Church by Rev. J. T. Daley. The late Mrs. Garner for some time passed had not been enjoying the best of health. Her husband, two daughters , one son, and a son-in-law, Mr. Kennedy, all predeceased her.

These death notices were all in the Maxville Column of the newspaper, I did not notice any other obituary as there often is a full obituary as well as the mention in the local columns. There could be an obit. in the Cornwall paper especially for Benjamin. You might be able to get the microfilm on inter-library loan for these dates.

There is an Historical Society in Alexandria, Glengarry Historical Society.
check their web site
www.glengarryhistoricalsociety.com/
There is also a museum at Dunvegan, info on the above site.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:56PM GMT
Stormont, G. & D. 97
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/sdg97.htm
13051-97 William DILARY, 28, Carpenter, Scotland, Ottawa City, s/o Hugh DILARY & Mary MURRY, married Mary Frances GARNER, 26, Chottom?, Maxville, d/o Benjamin GARNER & Frances LOURD?, witn: Benjamin & Mildred GARNER of Maxville, 4 Oct 1897 at Maxville

Also "Google" Benjamin Garner, Maxville, Ont. lots of information

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 2:59AM GMT
Thank you very much for the information. Especially the obituary. I will try to get the Cornwall papers from ILL. This has been very helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic