Search for content in message boards

St. Columba Cemetery Lookup

St. Columba Cemetery Lookup

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Dewar
Hiya,
Does anyone have a list of burials at St. Columba Presbyterian Church Cemetery at Kirk Hill? If so, I would greatly appreciate if you could lookup John Dewar or John Bane Dewar. He was a Presbyterian and lived at Lot 29 Concession 7 just down the road from the Church. He died in 1844. His wife was was Catherine MacLelland and she died after 1852.
Thanks in advance,
Barry

Re: St. Columba Cemetery Lookup

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a Cemetery listing for St Columba, Kirkhill. There is
no stone noted for John Dewar or John Bane Dewar. However the following are the stones as noted from 29.7 Lochiel.
(1) Mary S (MacLeod) Dewar b 1893 24.7 Lochiel d 1976 wife of Robert Dewar. (2) Robert D Dewar b 1886 son of William & Margaret Dewar d 1961. (3) Margaret (Fraser) Dewar b 6.8 Kenyon, wife of William Dewar d 1935 @ 88 yrs. (4) William Dewar b Aug 6 1837 d 1928 @ 92 yrs.
This does not mean John (Bane) Dewar + wife are not buried there but there is no stone to denote the info. Anne Neuman

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Thank you Anne for taking the trouble and for the information which will be useful although not specifically what I was looking for. Apparently there is a plaque in the church erected in 1894, at the 100th Anniversery of the settlement and the establishment of the congregation that has 20 names (mostly McLeods) of the "founders". John B. Dewar is the last name on the list. I got this information from page 122 of the book, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry: A History by John Graham Harkness, published in 1946. If there is no headstone I will have to look for the parish or civil registration of the death. So far I have not found anything on line. Thanks again,
Barry

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 9:04PM GMT
There would be no civil registration of death as that did not happen until around 1869 in Ontario. Parish registration were even later ... 1960's. Now the Church may have the registration of whom bought the plot but until the 1960's no registrations of whom were in the plot was needed. When John (Bane) Dewar came out it may have been under the name McClure.
Were two of his sons Donald Dewar and James Dewar?
Anne

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 2:03AM GMT
Anne, the information about the dates of death registrations in Ontario is new to me and will be useful in future research. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
You're correct, John Bane was a MacLeor (or variant thereof) at birth in Glenelg in 1760, and when he settled at C7L29 in 1794 but other documents suggest that the family had adopted the anglicized Dewar by the 1820s (if not before). Certainly after his death in 1844, by the time of the first census in 1852 his widow and the rest of his family were enumerated as Dewars.
His sons were: William, John, Roderick, Angus and Donald John (b. 1804)
As far as I can tell there were never any Jameses in the family. Do you have a couple of stray Dewars looking for families?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:59PM GMT
I have the cemetery listing on St Columba and the Parish birth records up to about 1880. In the cemetery listing there is a James Dewar died 1844 at 44. A note I saw shows him of 29.7 Lochiel. By chance do you know if Angus Dewar's wife was a Flora Fraser. I
In cemetery records a Flora Fraser Dewar is buried in same plot as James Dewar. In Baptismal records a Flora Fraser is wife of Angus Dewar and in this record show 29.7 Lochiel as place of residence.
Anne

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:51PM GMT
Yes, Angus, who owned the east half of C7L29 was married to Flora Fraser (b1805). I don't know who James was but obviously closely related and I would very much like to find out how he fits into the family. His age and death year put him at around the same year of birth as John Bane's son, John who apparently owned C9L23 Lancaster. I have a birth record for a Donald Dewar (my great-great grandfather) born 11 Feb1829 to parents, Roderick Dewar and Ann McLellan who were living at C7L29 at the time of his birth. I had assumed that this Roderick was John Bane's son but maybe he was a brother of James who perhaps was a cousin?? The information about James could be key to my figuring out these family connections.
Any more details such as the note that James was on the same farm would be very useful. If you are willing and able to make digital copies of this information my email address is barrypeers(at)me.com The (at) being replaced by @ Thanks for your help so far. Looking forward to hearing more.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:29PM GMT
Beginning of week I'll get copies to you to info.
Now I have found 2 siblings for your Donald b 11 Feb 1829.
(1) Mary Dewar b 11 Oct 1834 at 24.7 East Hawkesbury Township in Prescott County. (2) Ann Dewar b 19 Sept 1837 of 24.7 East Hawkesbury Twp.
At time of transcribing the info the chap doing it shows a More Dewar b 22 March 1826 with parents as Roderick Dewar amd Ann McLeod. They were of 24.7 East Hawkesbury Twp. In the listing for Donald b 1829 the transriber writes that maybe McLeod name incorrect and should be McLellan. I guess the placing of East Hawkesbury had him wondering.
Anne

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 9:40PM GMT
Anne thanks for the revelation! The birth record I have for my Donald had what I thought was Lot 29 Concession 7 Lochiel, and because I knew that John Bane was on that lot and because I wanted John Bane to be my ancestor I misread a 9 for a 4. Looking back at the document I see that the number could easily be read either way. Donald did have siblings Ann and Mary, so it must be him. The other thing I was diverted by was that the record said the family was from Lochiel but looking back I realize it said Lochiel Parish. So could be that they were members of Lochiel Parish but resident of E.Hawkesbury Twp.
I look forward to receiving the digital documents you've generously offered. 
And with regard to James Dewar I have received information which I will put in the next posting so as not to get too many topics tangled up.
Barry

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 12:52PM GMT
Anne,
And so one thing leads to another... 
The following quote from Keith Dewar's book on the Dewars of Glengarry. So, although James' origins are still a mystery, I'll leave that to someone else to discover.

Evander John Dewar son of Angus Murdoch Dewar
 Evander John Dewar (b. Jul 03 1816) in Galder, Glenelg; (d. Sep 13 1885) at Lot 1 Con. 03, Lochiel. Same address as Duncan Edward Dewar. Then moved to Lot 26 Con. 6 Lochiel. First married Flora Fraser (b. 1802) and (d. 1841); second marriage on (m. Jan 30 1845) at East Hawkesbury to Margaret MacNaughton (b. Nov 16 1826) (d. Oct 30 1909); buried at east church Kirkhill; daughter of Alex MacNaughton and Ann Ferguson of Cote St George. In this family burial plot there is a listing for a James Dewar (d. 1844) at 44 years of age. This could have been Evander’s brother or a wrong date for a son. Lot 01 Con. 03 Lochiel, Crown grant to Murdoch Dewar and Evander Dewar in Jul 27 1847. Evander willed this farm to his son Angus Dewar in Oct 1885; Angus sold it in 1909.
Barry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic