Search for content in message boards

Searching for info on my McDonell family

Searching for info on my McDonell family

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. In my family search I cant find anything earlier than John Allen McDonell born 1843 died 1922. He was married to Isabella Williamson, born 1850 died 1911. In my old family bible its haed to read but it says something like his father may of been a Allen Ardnabie McDonell and Mother Anne Leek McDonell but its not for sure. they resided in Lancaster ont and there is a family gravestone still in the area.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John LeRoy McDonell

Re: Searching for info on my McDonell family

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 1:59AM GMT
Jan.98RR
The Cornwall Standard May 12, 1911.
Mrs. John A. McDonell, nee Isabel Williamson
A highly esteemed resident of Summerstown Front, Mrs. John A. McDonell, died at her home
there on Tuesday, 9th inst., aged 61 years. The deceased, whose maiden name was Isabel
Williamson, was born at St. Raphaels. She was of an exceedingly kind disposition and will be
greatly missed by her many friends. A fond and devoted mother her death will be a sad loss to
her husband and family, and the deepest sympathy is extended to them. There are three sons
and four daughters - Messrs. Allan A., Robert J., John A., at home; Miss Catherine G., and
Irene, at home, Miss Isabel and Mrs. Lawrence Sommerville, Montreal. The funeral took
place yesterday morning from the family residence to St. Joseph’s Church, Lancaster. The
Requiem Mass was celebrated by the Rev. J. M. Foley. The pall-bearers were Messrs.,
Andrew Fraser, Lancaster; Geo. Ross, Martintown; Alex Williamson (brother of the
deceased), John McDonell, St. Andrews; P. Corrier, Summerstown; Alex. Gunn, Lancaster.
Among the relatives present from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Sommerville.
Miss Isabel McDonell, Montreal. Mrs. George McLaughlin, niece, Alexandria. Miss Tena
Williamson. niece, King’s Road, Martintown; Mrs. Sommerville, Cornwall; Mr. Geo Ross and
Miss Ross, Mr. Hugh Munroe, Miss Munroe, Martintown; Mr. Ranald McDougall, Glen Roy;
Mrs. O’Leary, St. Andrews.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:52AM GMT
The following records are in St, Josephs Church, Lancaster, Ont.
Robert James McDonell married Eliza May Taillon
Married Nov, 25, 1912

Elizabeth Ann McDonell married Lawrence Henry Sommerville (no marriage date in original register)

Annie McDonell married Michael Cleary
Feb. 15, 1907

St. Josephs Catholic Church, BMD, Lancaster, Ont.
D4 - 1922
John Allen MacDonell
On the 9th day of May 1922, were interred in St. Joseph’s Cemetery here, the remains of John Allan Macdonell, deceased the 7th inst. aged 79 years.
Were present Allan and John Macdonell, sons D. J. Gunn, John Williamson, Ranald McLaughlin, Levi Leroux and others.
John J. Macdonell

St. Josephs Catholic Church, BMD, Lancaster, Ont.
D5 - Isabella Williamson
On May 11th, 1911, the remains of Isabella Williamson, wife of John A. MacDonell, Lot 5, 1st. Front Charlottenburg, aged 61 years, who died the 9th inst., were interred in St. Joseph’s Cemetery.
witnesses Andrew Fraser, Wm.Brady, Oliver Bougie, and others.
J. M. Foley P.P.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 3:10AM GMT
St. Josephs Cemetery, Lancaster, Ont., #44, Gravestones of Glengarry, Vol. 2
MacDonell
John A. 1843-1922, husband of Isabella Williamson 1850-1911. Annie V. 1874-1907, her son Andrew Cleary 1906-1907, Allan A. 1878-1960., Catherine 1876-1960

Information from the Index of G. of G. Vol. 2
John A. MacDonell son of Allan & of Anne MacDonell of Williamstown
Isabella Williamson, daughter of Robert of Lot 44 Char. N.S.R.R. son of John of Ireland & daughter of Isabel Grant daughter of John son of Alex. Grant ban a teum (J.D.) South Branch, Glen.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 11:20PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information, its greatly appreciated. Now To see if Allan came over from Scotland or was born in Canada. Im trying to get the family tree back to Scotland. It would be interesting to see what branch of MacDonells we come from.

John LeRoy McDonell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions