Search for content in message boards

Lochiel Catholic churchyard headstones

Lochiel Catholic churchyard headstones

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Drouin records, L - Lochiel - 1863-1901.
Some kind person from the past, has transcribed the monuments / memorials / headstones from the churchyard, at the back of this volume. Some of the family information transcribed, is outside of the date range of 1863 - 1901, has surnames not transcribed, so would not be found in conventional search.
Find in the Ontario Drouin records, L - Lochiel - 1863-1901.
Monument transcriptions are on page 560 to 576 (or electronic pages 296-304) An easy 13 page read.
There 'appears' to be more pages to this book, not available online at ancestry.
Alas, the Drouin Institute no longer have these pages online, they used to have full volumes and indexes.
A few transcriptions have information on people who died elsewhere, while others may state birthplaces, spouses surnames, children or parents.
This one is a treasure -

*Sacred to the memory of Dr John Stewart,
a native of Achadh, (Nan Oar ?) Scotland,
and late of Loch Gary (Loch Garry), Glengarry
He died Jan 20, 1815 age 32. -

From Joan McDonald

Re: Lochiel Catholic churchyard headstones

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 5:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know for certain that my great grandfather William McDonald d. Aug 1,1930 and his son John William McDonald d. May 10, 1932 are buried at St. Alexander. I visited the cemetery last summer but there was no gravestone. My great grand mother Mary Elizabeth McDonald should also be buried there, but I have yet to find anything with regard to her death. If you have any information on the above I'd appreciate if you would forward it to me.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:30PM GMT
I'll go back and see what's there
Joan

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 25 Mar 2013 7:45PM GMT
PS: on John Stewart
He most likely came from Boline (no longer exists) near Invergarry, in (evicted)1802
Found by accident today, while looking up Glengarry evictions

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 8:13PM GMT
They were not in the transcribed headstone list that I mentioned.
The list is not complete.
Hundreds of people did not have stones made.
Some folks that had services held at one place
were often buried somewhere else.
I know this doesn't help, sorry.
Joan

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 11:39PM GMT
Thanks, they lived at 9/5 Kenyon which is few miles down the road from St. Alexander. I'm probably going to have to contact the church to see if they have records.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 4:56PM GMT
Out of curiousity, did your William MacDonald have a sister Christie who married a Lemon and had a daughter Mary Ellen Lemon who married Angus Kennedy.
My wife is descended from Angus Kennedy and his 2nd wife (Mary Margaret Robinson) but it has been difficult to find out anything about him. We only know his death date, approx birth date and possibly his mother from his death record.
Both Angus & Mary Ellen lived at 9/5 Kenyon and 8/5 Kenyon.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 9:58PM GMT
Yes, we discussed this about a year ago. You also sent me photos from the abstract book you had taken at the museum.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions