Search for content in message boards

Meaning of "Elder" on gravestone in St.Andrew's Williamstown

Meaning of "Elder" on gravestone in St.Andrew's Williamstown

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 4:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRANT McDONNELL
My husband descends from James Roy GRANT (1799-1879) who is buried in the cemetery at St.Andrew's Church, Williamstown. His tombstone reads "James R Grant Elder." Is anyone familiar with this designation? Does it mean he was an Elder of the church, the elder of two men with the same name, adopted by someone named ELDER, illegitimate son of a woman named ELDER, or some other meaning I haven't thought of?
I'm also unsure of his lineage. I believe he is the son of Alexander GRANT and Anne McDONNELL, but I have no documentation for that. If anyone can clarify these two questions, I'd be most grateful.

Re: Meaning of "Elder" on gravestone in St.Andrew's Williamstown

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT McDONNELL
I have found online a history of St. Andrew's Church in Williamstown. In it my first question was answered. James Roy GRANT was, indeed, an Elder of the Church. He was ordained in 1833.
I have also found the answer to the second question in the records of baptisms at St. Andrew's. James Grant was the son of Alexander Grant and Ann McDonnell.
I've decided to leave this query here even though I've answered it myself in case another relative should come upon it in the future with the same questions.

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 9:51PM GMT
My question to you Joy......
Was this James R Grant a brother to an Angus, John and Alexander?
Anne Neuman

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 1:58PM GMT
Anne, right now I've got the following children, but I'm not certain it's correct or complete: Angus, bap. 1791; Donald, bap. 1794; Catherine, bap. 1797; James, bap. 1799.
Do you have the parents' names of yours as Alexander Grant and Anne McDonnell (or McDonald in some records)? Do you know where they settled? I'm told that this Alex was the son of John Grant from Duldreggan, Glenmoriston, Scotland, who was settled on lots 25 & 26 South of South Branch of Raisin River.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 2:41PM GMT
Hi Joy:
I have never seen the name James as a son of Alex'r Grant and Ann McDonell but that is not to say there wasn't one.
Yes, if you can claim Alex Grant of east 1/2 of 26.4 th from the Lake in Charlottenburgh as your ancestor then we are related. I am from the youngest son of John Grant Duldreggan, Alpin Grant. Alpin is my 2nd gr grandfather. John Grant had three ladies (married two of them) and 17 children. Your Alex was the eldest and my Alpin the youngest. There was 45 years between Alex and Alpin. Alpin lived on East 1/2 of 25.4th from the lake Charlottenburgh.
Anne

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 3:51PM GMT
Anne,
It's definite that James was the son of the same couple. I have the record of his baptism by Rev. John Bethune of St. Andrews. It names both parents, identifies them as "of South Branch" and gives dob of 13 June 1799 and bap 30 June 1799.

This is actually my husband's ancestry, not my own.

Do you by any chance have Alexander's dates of birth and death? I've been told that he left a will, but not knowing when he died, I'm not sure how to look for it.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 10:12PM GMT
Joy:
Alexander died just after the 1851 census at age 95 years.He was born the year of 1756 in Dundreggan, Glenmoriston, Scotland. If you find him is 1861 census, his younest child a son, Alexander + wife+ children are listed there as well.
Where did James Grant and family live? I have a listing (my sister found for me)of the children of Alex Grant and Ann McDonell. I must search it up and add James to the family.
Your Alexander was known as Alex in the family as a later son used the name Alexander. With 17 children I am suprised there was only 2 names repeated. Alexander/Alex, Isabelle/Isabella.
Anne

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 10:13PM GMT
Joy:
My note should say if you find him in the 1851 census.... not 1861 as he was dead by then.
Anne

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT
Thanks for the dates for Alex. It made it possible to find him in 1851 when microfilm has given names obscured by tight binding.
According to that census Alex, age 95, was living on the Indian Lands, 4th concession, but I've been told that his father's land was actually the last lots 25-26 outside the reservation property. James in 1851 was listed as in the 2nd concession South of South Branch of River Aux Raisins, but I don't have a lot number. If you are using Ancestry, his family is in image 59 (p.58 of census): James Grant age 52.
In 1871, James was living with his son, John J. Grant (my husband' ancestor); I can't tell where from the census. On the 1879 map of Charlottenburg, John J. Grant lived on 2nd Concession SSR lot 15 which is nowhere near the Indian Land. (Not much help).

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 4:46PM GMT
Hi Joy:
You are correct that John Grant Duldreggan had Lots 25 and 26. Down beside west side of lot 26 is a road allowance. West of the Road Allowance is Indian Lands. Alex Grant + wife, son Alexander + wife and children, brother Alpin + wife and children were all on the same census page.
Somewhere in my sheets and boxes on the Grants I have a copy of Alex's will.This weekend I will put out a search for it.
What was the name of James Grant's wife? John Grant, Duldreggan (James' grandfather) was one of the first Elders at St. Andrew's Williamstown.
Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions