Search for content in message boards

Mary Ann Nichols, 1947-1999 [obit]

Mary Ann Nichols, 1947-1999 [obit]

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 3:29AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Nichols, Kelly, VanHoesen, Hait, Epperson, Tormey
THE DAILY STAR (Oneonta, NY) Tuesday, January 12, 1999

Mary Ann Nichols
ONEONTA — Mary Ann Nichols, 51, of Oneonta, died Monday, Jan. 11, 1999, at the A.O. Fox Memorial Hospital in Oneonta.
She was born Jan. 31, 1947, in Oneonta, the daughter of Maurice S. and Loretta (Kelly) Nichols Sr.
Mary Ann was a graduate of St. Mary's and the Oneonta High School. Prior to her illness, she was a prep cook at the Farmhouse Restaurant. For a period of time, she worked at the State University College at Oneonta and Custom Electronics.
She is survived by her father, Maurice S. Nichols Sr. of Oneonta; a sister and brother-in-law, Patricia and Richard VanHoesen of Davenport; a brother, Maurice S. Nichols Jr. of Oneonta; her nieces and nephews, Peggy and Russell Hait of Jefferson, Lorraine VanHoesen of Otego, Jim VanHoesen of Stamford, David VanHoesen of Hobart, Millie VanHoesen of Stamford, Marie and Brandon Epperson of Glendale, Ariz., Michael and Matthew Nichols of Phoenix, Ariz., and Lisa and Fred Tormey of Peoria, Ariz.
She is also survived by several great-nieces and nephews, and one great-great-nephew, along with several cousins and special friends, Janet and Gary Woodrow, and Ginny Bliss.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Thursday, Jan. 14, 1999, at 10 a.m. in St. Mary's Church with the Rev. Paul Roman, pastor, officiating.
Burial will be in the spring in Mount Calvary Cemetery, Emmons.
Friends may call Wednesday evening from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home, at which time the family will be in attendance.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society or the Catskill Area Hospice and Palliative Care.
Arrangements are by the Lester R. Grummons Funeral Home, Oneonta.
==========
DISCLAIMERS:
Not related, no further details.
Original obituary may be found at:
http://www.thedailystar.com/news/community/obits/1999/01/ob0...
-----------------
I thought it might be helpful to [Ancestry.com] subscribers if I posted obituaries from my local paper's online edition, a project that will take some time.
THE DAILY STAR went online on 1 July 1998 and all spelling and grammar is theirs. I'm currently working on [January 1999]. For additional information, please search through Ancestry's other databases.

Re: Mary Ann Nichols, 1947-1999 [obit]

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 3:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nichols, Kelly, Johnson, Epperson
Thank you for this. My name is Crystalina (Epperson) Ketterman. I'm Marie and Brandon's daughter. Do you by chance have any other information on Mary Ann's grandparents Martin S. and Mae (Johnson)? I found your obituary on Maurice, but can't find anything about Loretta (Kelly), or her parents, or Maurice's parents...

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 8:16PM GMT
Dear Crystalina:
As you can see from my original post date, the obituary appeared on the Nichols message board several years after appearing in the newspaper.
I am no longer posting any obits from this newspaper, as I was asked not to by a former publisher, now retired. He only gave me permission to copy the hyperlink to the surname board.
That retired publisher’s request, in effect, thwarted the whole purpose of my project, which was to preserve for future family tree historians any newspaper accounts of their family history that the obituaries would have provided. Any obituaries after 3 Apr 2006 are lost forever due to a new policy by this newspaper. “Obituaries online 365 days. Guest Books online 30 days, unless sponsored.”
The retired publisher’s replacement never replied to an email on the subject of this type of preservation. He, too, is no longer with this newspaper. A copy of the mentioned email to the obituary clerk also went unanswered.
If you are interested in a timeline of the project (oldest obituary available: 1 July 1998), from beginning to holding date, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Glenn

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 4:07PM GMT
ok, well i saw the obituary of Maurice S. Nichols, and that's how I know his parents' names, but I wonder how you got that information, and if there was anything else about his parents that you might know that was not included in the article. i think this project was an excellent idea, and it is sad that you had to stop. information like this is very precious to those who seek it, though it may not seem so to those who merely have it. thank you for reading and responding, and for any future assistance!

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 4:08PM GMT
sorry, meant to say that his death was in 2005. you wouldn't happen to have gotten his parents' names from a death certificate, perhaps? i can't find any online. wish every state did what Missouri is doing...

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 4:16PM GMT
sorry, meant to say that his death was in 2005. you wouldn't happen to have gotten his parents' names from a death certificate, perhaps? i can't find any online. wish every state did what Missouri is doing...

Re: Maurice Nichols

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 5:27PM GMT
Hi Crystalina

Since New York State is pretty "stingy" by genealogical standards, I would first try the Social Security Death Index for Maurice. I'm not sure what the policy is for actually getting a death certificate. In California it's horrendous. At least a year's wait from them receiving your request plus a fee. Back in 2002 I requested birth certificates for myself and my mother. Then they were $26 each.

You also might research for what might be available in New York.

Best wishes to you,

Glenn

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 1:05PM GMT
I've studied the following very carefully, yet there may possibly be a mistake.
I feel it would be very useful to duplicate these steps, to make sure.

Print out and study the following census info (and one WW1 Draft Registration)
If you look at these tabulations IN THE ORDER SHOWN I believe you will agree that
the relationships were MOST LIKELY as follows ...

Maurice Nichols, Sr born in Oneonta 1910-1911 was the son of Samuel M(artin) Nichols & Mae(May)
Samuel M(artin) Nichols born 22 Jan 1888 in Walton, Delaware, NY was the son of Martin K Nichols & Unknown
Martin K Nichols born Aug 1864 in Walton, Delaware, NY was the son of Rufus Nichols & Fanny
Rufus Nichols born about 1824 in Walton, Delaware, New York was the son of Alfred Nichols and Esther
Alfred Nichols born about 1796 in Connecticut was the son of Daniel Nichols and
Daniel Nichols was born bef 1776 (perhaps) in Connecticut migrated to Walton, Delaware, NY before 1810
------------------------------------------
1920 United States Federal Census
Maurice Nichols Oneonta, Otsego, New York abt 1910 New York Son
Father's Birth Place: New York
Mother's name: May Nichols Mother's Birth Place: New York Marital Status: Single
May Nichols 40
Ethel Somers 17
Leland Somers 14
Maurice Nichols 10

1930 United States Federal Census
Maurice S Nichols Oneonta, Otsego, New York abt 1911 Son
Parent's Name: Mae Nichols
Mae Nichols 47
Ethel H Fisk 27
Leland W Sommers 24
Maurice S Nichols 19
Jean B Fisk 7
Shirley G Fisk 6
Dorothy Ives 42

1910 United States Federal Census
Samuel M Nichols May Oneonta Ward 5, Otsego, New York 1887 New York Head (1st marriage)
May Nichols Samuel M Oneonta Ward 5, Otsego, New York 1882 New York Wife (second marriage)
Ethel Nichols Samuel M,May Oneonta Ward 5, Otsego, New York 1903 New York Daughter
Leland Nichols Samuel M,May Oneonta Ward 5, Otsego, New York 1905 New York Son
Emma Gorter [Emma Nichols] Samuel M,May Oneonta Ward 5, Otsego, New York 1884 New York Daughter
Harold Gorter 9
Albert Gorter 6

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Samuel Martin Nichols County: Otsego State: New York
Birthplace: WALTON New York;United States of America
Birth Date: 22 Jan 1888
Race: Caucasian (White)
Claims exemption [wife and child]
Has served in Natl Guard 2 1/2 yearsFHL Roll Number: 1818708
DraftBoard: 1
Nearest Relative: [not shown]

1900 United States Federal Census
William Nichols[Will Nichols] Fannie Walton, Delaware, New York Aug 1866 Virginia White Head
Fannie Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York Feb 1838 New York White Mother Widowed
Martin K Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York Aug 1864 New York White Brother Divorced
Samuel Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York Jan 1888 New York White Nephew
Myrtle Nichols [Marth Nichols] Walton, Delaware, New York Oct 1891 New York White Niece

1880 United States Census
Rufus NICHOLS Self M Male W 56 NY Farmer CT CT
Fanny NICHOLS Wife M Female W 42 NY NY NY
Lambert NICHOLS Son S Male W 23 NY NY NY
Roger NICHOLS Son S Male W 22 NY Ny NY NY
Judson NICHOLS Son Male W 19 NY NY NY
Martin NICHOLS Son Male W 15 NY NY NY
William NICHOLS Son S Male W 13 NY NY NY
Orson NICHOLS Son S Male W 10 NY NY NY

1870 United States Federal Census
Rufus Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1824 New York White Male
Fanny Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1838 New York White Female
Royer Nichols[Roger Nichols] Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1859 New York White Male
Flora Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1863 New York White Female
Martin Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1865 New York White Male
Willie Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1867 Virginia White Male
Orton Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1870 New York White Male

1850 United States Federal Census
Rufus Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York abt 1824 New York
Alfred Nichols 54
Ester Nichols 53
Rufus Nichols 26
Horace Nichols 22
Emily J Nichols 17

1840 United States Federal Census
<20 20-49 Total White Total All Persons
Alfred Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 3 2 5 5
Nathan Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 1 2 2
Nicholas Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 4 2 6 6
Peter Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 1 2 4 4

1830 United States Federal Census
<20 20-49 Nr White Nr All
Alfred Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 3 2 5 5
Daniel Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 2 4 4

1820 United States Federal Census
<16 Males16-25 Females16-25 White >25 Total White
Daniel Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 1 2

1810 United States Federal Census
Nr of Slaves Whites<16 Whites >25 Total Household
Daniel Nichols Walton, Delaware, New York 0 4 2 9

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 9:53PM GMT
Hello Herb; Hi Crystalina

I just had a "mean" idea. But it wouldn't be fair to burden the current staff at The Daily Star, who had nothing to do with the quashing of my project; nor even to the staff that were around at the time. If I understand the paper policy, they will only print a simple death notice. If the next of kin wishes to have a real obituary printed, they have to furnish the information. Then they also have to pay a per-line charge. Theoretically, if the family has a good writer among them, they could come up with a four-column obit. But as I said, that would probably be very expensive!.

My "mean" idea would be to send Herb's message to the Star, but it probably wouldn't be translated into an error correction for a twelve-year-old obit.

Best to both of you,
Glenn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions