Search for content in message boards

Where is "Lonka" Moravia?

Where is "Lonka" Moravia?

Posted: 28 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2004 5:16AM GMT
Surnames: MANAK, HEINDL
Found grandmother on new Ellis Island web site, Marie MANAK, age 18. She immigrated in 1912 from "Lonka" Moravia. It also says her ethnicity was Austria, Bohemian. Any ideas on where "Lonka" is located? Can find nothing similar on any maps I can find. Any help appreciated.

We know very little about Marie. She went to work as a nanny or domestic in Chicago. Supposedly came from a family of 13 children. There were other Manak's on the same manifest - Franz, Anezka, Josef; could they be siblings??? As far as her daughter knows, she had no contact with any of her family after her marriage in 1916 to Jerry Heindl.

Re: Where is "Lonka" Moravia?

kailbach (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2001 4:06PM GMT
in the Austrian (bef 1919) area I found in bohemia and moravia only "Lonkau" situated in upper silesia

but there are 11 Louka in this area
kailbach@surfeu.at

Posted: 19 Sep 2001 3:26AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jun 2002 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Manak
Now believe it is Louka. Unfortunately there is more than one town with that name in Moravia. Not sure where to go next.

Thanks all, for the help.

kailbach (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2001 9:01AM GMT
You have more Informations? Moravia or Bohemia?
Please contact: kailbach@surfeu.at for selection.

Re: Where is "Lonka" Moravia? Where is Hoveze?

R. Myers (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2002 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: LUDKE, RUBAL, SCHEPENKA, MANAK
You are the first person I've run across researching the surname MANAK. I also have MANAK ancestors. They lived in Hoveze, Moravia in the 1830s - Marie MANAK and husband Martin SCHEPENKA (uncertain about spelling of Schepenka). Their daughter Mary Veronica SCHEPENKA came to New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. in the 1850s. Does anyone know where Hoveze is located?

Re: Where is "Louka" Moravia? Where is Hoveze?

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 5:21AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2004 5:16AM GMT
Surnames: MANAK
Don't know where your Czech town is, can't find mine for positive! There is a web site of Czech Republic locations to try: http://www.calle.com/world/czechrepublic/index.html

I wonder if your Marie Manak was related to my Marie Manak? Our Marie was born in 1894, and I know her father's name was Tomas. She had a relative (perhaps brother) Johan who was already in Chicago when she immigrated in 1912. Another possible brother, Franz was on the boat with her.

Re: Where is "Louka" Moravia? Where is Hoveze?

R. Myers (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2002 1:13PM GMT
I wrote Marie MANAK, but this was an error. My ancestor was named Eva MANAK and was born 24 December 1804 in Hoveze, Moravia. I got this information from a Grand Aunt whom I am told had a professional genealogist research for her. However, I do not have her source information. Sigh - something I failed to ask for before the Grand Aunt passed away. Thank you for your reply.

C. Myers (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2006 10:48PM GMT
Dont know how much this will help but I thought let you know about it anyway...I recently discoverd that the towns I have been looking for involving my Czech ancestors have different English pronounciations. For example I was looking for the town of Omlitz (as per family descriptions). Well I stumbled accross this website that said "Olomouc (Omlutz)" (the rest was in Czech but thats beside the point. Try this site out and see if it is any help to you...sorry I cant be of more help.

http://mapy.cz/

Best oif luck to you,
C. Myers

C. Myers (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2006 10:51PM GMT
Sorry...left out a sentence.

Moral of the story is that Olmlutz (Americanized) turned out to in fact be Olomouc (Czech).

So hope this all might have shed some light on your search.

Good Luck,
C. Myers

Posted: 21 May 2006 11:49PM GMT
Thanks for the link, it looks like a handy map. We have decided since my first query, that the town I am looking for is Louka. When I put that in the search box it was listed over 10 times and all over the country! The Louka I want, I believe, is in Moravia which does narrow it down some. But better than nothing coming up at all, I suppose. LOL

Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions