Search for content in message boards

Brown family

Brown family

Sonya Brown (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
Interested in researching the Brown family of Bladen County, North Carolina. Particularly in the Carver's Creek and White Creek Area, between the years of 1700-1920.

I am related to the Brown's of Carvers Creek

Vanessa R. Green (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Lloyd, Elliot, McKoy
Sonya Brown,

When I saw your message I was instantly excited. My Grandfather on my mother's side name was Clayton Lloyd and he lived in Carver's Creek until his death. His mother is who I think is related to you her name was Ella Brown Lloyd she was married to Thomas Lloyd and I they had 10 children. My Great- Grandmother Ella's mother was Hepsi Brown and her father was Thomas Brown ( He is who I think is related to you). If he is a relative or you have any information about my relatives please contact me at: num1diva20@hotmail.com.

Browns of Bladen and Col.Co.N.C.

Posted: 18 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2002 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Willian Brown, John Brown
I have lots of information on the Browns of Bladen and Columbus Co. N.C. My time is very limited so it would be impossible for me to transmit via e-mail at this point in time. am willing to share . tel, 910-642-6363-

Pat Norris

Browns of Bladen County

Barbara Brown Hootman (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, GRAHAM, LAMMON, CURIE, MATTHEWS, COBB, MCLEAN
I'm responding to your message of July 18, 1999. I don't know how I missed it last year.

My direct line Browns are (I can't get past the Daniel born in 1843, I think his dad's name might have also been Daniel, and his grandfather's name might have been Neill):

Daniel (born ca 1843)m. Elizabeth Jane Graham 1868
Daniel A (son) born ca 1874) m. Charity Celestea Matthews
ca 1890 (my paternal grandparents}
Riley Sheppard Brown born 1910 (my father)

With the shifting county lines, at this point, the Daniel Browns may have been in robeson, Bladen, Richmond counties.

Some of Daniel Sr's children and grandchildren went to Duplin County; my grandfather Daniel moved to Pulaski County GA when he married; the Matthews were from there.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Let me know, or if you prefer, I can call you.

Barb Brown Hootman

Brown information

Posted: 30 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Anders, Lock, Peterson
I am looking for a Milton Devone Brown born 1854 and died 1930. He lived in Bladen county. His mother was Tabitha ?
He married Helen Octavia Anders

Re: I am related to the Brown's of Carvers Creek

Posted: 3 Jul 2001 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Andres, Andress, Anders
Hi Sonya. I understand that there are two sets of Browns in Council/Carvers Creek area. My great grandfather was James Andrews Brown. His children were Emma, Syliviah, Nathan and Betty. He may have been on the Andress/Andres plantation in Bladen County at one time.

Let me know if any of this is familiar to you.

Re: I am related to the Brown's of Carvers Creek

Posted: 3 Jul 2001 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Meares, Mears, Miller, McKoy, Powell
Hi Maxine,

My first question was to ask if your family was African American? Ive been told that there were several sets of African American families in the Council, Carver's Creek Area.

I am unfamiliar with the names that you provided, but I will print them out and add them to my Brown family folder, in case there is a connection.

My family is of African American background from Carver's Creek. The Browns were from the Oakland Plantation owned by General Thomas Brown, Revolutionary War Patriot who fought in the Battle of Elizabethtown in 1781. I have the following names in my tree: Rubin Brown (b. c1820-1830 - d. ?) marr. Martha Powell

Rubin and Martha's son: Stephen Brown (b.? - d. 1910) marr.
Priscilla Miller (Priscilla's family was from Oakland Plantation)

Stephen and Priscilla's son: Lester Brown marr. Lucy Meares

Lester and Lucy's son: Fernie Brown marr. Annie Burney

Fernie and Annie's son: Furney Brown, Jr. marr. Betty Brown
Furney and Betty are my parents.

I was able to make a connection with Vanessa Green who posted the first message. Her family of Lloyds and Browns were from Carver's Creek as well.

I am researching all Browns, both Caucasian and African American from Carver's Creek area. I have info on both families.

Hope this will be of help. I have more Brown names if you are interested.

Thanks for gettting in touch...Hope to hear from you.
-Sonya

Brown and Anders Connection

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 12:51PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Anders, Andrews
I also have a Brown/Anders marraige in my research. Census records confirm that Edward Anders married my great aunt Emma Brown. Were the Browns and Anders in close proximity in Bladen County?

Re: Brown and Anders Connection

sonya (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2001 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Meares, Mears
Hi Maxine,

We've recently corresponded and I saw your message on this board. To answer your question, I belive they were close in proximity. Also which township within Bladen County where you referring to? I have copies of the 1910 census of Carver's Creek Township, and there were several Anders and Browns families that lived near each other. One set in particular is my ggggrandfather's wife Priscilla Miller. Priscilla's mother was named Betsy Brown. Betsy's mother was named Minerva Brown and she married Fred Anders. Minerva and Fred are listed on the 1910 census of Carver's Creek. Minerva is suspected as being a slave to the General Thomas Brown plantation of Oakland in Carver's Creek. Minerva also has a daugher named Clarissa Brown(also a possible slave belonging to General Brown) and Betsy Brown (my ancestor).
I hope this helps in any way.

Re: Brown and Anders Connection

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 10:58PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2003 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Andrews
Hi Sonya
The 1910 Census lists Edward and Emma in the same township as mentioned. Carvers Creek Township - Council Village.
Do you have any information on a Sophia Andrews? Her father, Samuel Andrews, must have owned several slaves. Sophia was the owner of James Andrews before he entered the army. When he returned, he began using the name of his father (Brown).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions