Search for content in message boards

Identifying Gernan medals and army

Identifying Gernan medals and army

Posted: 3 May 2013 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lemmes
Hello, I have a couple of rather clear pictures of a German connection, both taken at different times at around 1944. I am assuming he was Wehrmacht, rather than SS, as I understand SS uniform was generally black, especially for formal/ceremonial photographs like this, and it does not look like Luftwaffe or Navy either. All I know about his service is that he fought and died in the Eastern Front around Russia and Poland (I think he died in Poland). From finding what seems like records of his death (he is missing) in Eastern Europe, and by noting how decorated he was, I have gathered that he was a lieutenant, and there seems to be a wounded medal here as well, plus obviously an iron cross of some kind, but this is all that I can figure out, so if someone with a greater understanding of German WWII military, rank, insignia and medals could tell me more it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean
Attachments:

Re: Identifying Gernan medals and army

Posted: 3 May 2013 12:23PM GMT
In the picture with the stripes on the cuff, he is a senior NCO in a pre-war dress tunic, complete with regimental number on the shoulder straps. If it weren't for the combat badges, I would have guessed the picture was pre-1940. This kind of dress coat was usually only owned by career officers and senior NCOs. He must have then been promoted to lieutenant as shown in the second photograph.

It is of course the army (Heer), and not the SS or Luftwaffe.

Posted: 3 May 2013 2:01PM GMT
Thanks a lot. Ah right, yeah I thought so. I think when I looked up the Waffen SS they did not even have a "Leutnant" rank anyway.

Yes, I am guessing he just had an old dress tunic that he wore when on leave or something, which he must have been when these photos were taken.

If you or anyone else can tell more about the specific medals or how to identify the regiment from the shoulder straps I would very much appreciate it.

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 8:56PM GMT
In his officer uniform, it appears that he is wearing 5 ribbons...
1) Iron Cross 2nd Class
2) War Merit Cross with swords
3) Eastern Front Medal
4) Wehrmacht Long Service Award
5) West Wall Medal

You can read about them here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_G...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic