Search for content in message boards

Duncan Grant KRRNY

Duncan Grant KRRNY

Posted: 20 May 2013 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2014 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Grant
J. Young here with another search for a missing Grant Ancestor . Duncan Grant [son of Peter Grant and mother unknown ] born Strathspey Scotland .Peter apparently settled on Sir John Johnson's Kingsborough Patent land in the 1770s. Peter Grant joined KRRNY and resettled in Charlottenburg following the war . Peter shared Lot 10 Front Con Charlottenburg with Kenneth McDonell . Land records show Duncan Grant receiving part Lot 20 on 2nd Con. South of River aux Raisin [today known as South Branch Road] . Married to Henrietta Henny McLennan [daughter of John McLeland / McLennan KRRNY] , son Ronald Grant b. 1791 Williamstown . Their daughter Isabella Grant b. 18 Aug. 1792 Glenbrooke ; married Angus Grant b. 11 Dec. 1791 Williamstown [ this Angus is the eldest son of Alexander Alex Grant who was eldest son of John Duldreggan Grant of Lots 25 & 26 SSRR at Cashion's Glen] . Isabella & Angus Grant were married 7 June 1815 at St. Andrews Williamstown . Duncan Grant apparently was an Elder of this same church and buried there in 1836 . I am on solid ground going forward but would like to fill in some gaps in this Duncan Grant story . Thanks in advance . J.

Re: Duncan Grant KRRNY

Posted: 21 May 2013 9:33AM GMT
Hi J.,

Duncan Grant is the brother of John Ban Grant, son of Peter Grant. I descend from John Ban Grant. I would love to hear more about Duncan and anything you know about their father Peter. I have attached the abstract for a lot on the front that Peter received to this post. I have found the land petitions with this lot number listed. Evidently, Duncan and John had a younger sister who was listed on the Victualizing Lists. I haven't Identified her. Please contact me at bgressel@aol.com I would love to hear more.

Your cousin,
Barbara Gressel
Attachments:

Posted: 22 May 2013 11:17AM GMT
Surnames: Grant
Hi Cousin Barbara . Seems we have a connection . Thanks for the attached land registry sheet . It is possible that if Peter Grant had a daughter she may have made her own Land Petition as daughter of a UEL ; also John and Duncan's children may have made similar claims with supporting info. Since I have just started investigating this branch , I have little more info at this time . Will keep your email address and make any new discoveries known . Thanks Cousin.

Posted: 22 May 2013 12:12PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2013 10:55PM GMT
Hi J.,
I have copies of the children of John's land petitions posted on my Ancestry.com family tree (Barbara Sue Clark Family Tree)if you would like to see them. I am curious if you have documentation that Peter, father of Duncan, is from Strathspey. I "assumed" he was from Glenmorriston but never had definite proof. I have tried to trace him to Scotland but I don't have Peter's wife's name. It is nice to meet a cousin!

Your cousin,
Barb

Posted: 23 May 2013 1:13AM GMT
I have Ranald Grant son of Duncan Grant and Henny McLennan
born May 2, 1792 and baptised Williamstown June 12, 1792.
He lived Con 2, Lots 13 & 14 Lancaster and died Apr 13 1872.
He married Catherine McDonald b 1796 at Williamstown on July 11, 1815.

Children Duncan 1817, Donald 1822-1903 Williamstown, Peter Ranald 1825, Sarah 11828,Janet 1830, John R 1831, Alexander 1835.

Donald Grant (1822) m Anne Nancy Grant d/o Peter Grant and Jane Ann Morgan who lived Roxborough.

Colleen Kinnear Newbold

Posted: 23 May 2013 1:26AM GMT
I have a note on my file that this family were known as "The Brewer Grants"

Colleen

Posted: 23 May 2013 5:00PM GMT
Hi Cousin Colleen . The Isabella and Angus Grant that I mentioned in my original posting , are the Grandparents of Sarah Jane Grant who married Henry Kinnear [of Grant's Corners --- your line] . Something is apparently wrong with the birth dates for either or both of Isabella or Ranald [Ronald] Grant as even someone with a name like Henny is unlikely to have given birth to two chicks in that short of a time span .

Posted: 23 May 2013 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Grant Clark
Hi Barb and Colleen . A Mr. Ron Smith put up a posting on Genealogy.com on GenForum # 3425 in Feb. 1 2001 , enquiring about this Duncan Grant . He included the mention of Strathspey , and other info [you can check it out], but he didn't get any replies and does not seem to be active in genealogy anymore . Barb I am only a member of Rootsweb , and could not access your Ancestry Tree . By the way , the Isabella and Angus Grant's eldest son was Donald A. Grant married Massey Mercy Ann Clark [her father David Ellis Clark --- his father John Clark --- his father James Clark KRRNY] , they were parents of afore mentioned Sarah Jane Grant .

Posted: 24 May 2013 1:31AM GMT
Sorry, Jay
Ranald(or Ronald) was baptised May 12, 1792 so he must be older than Isabella.

Ranald (Ronald?): Baptised May 12, 1792 died April 13, 1872. Lived Lancaster Con 2/ 13&14. Married Catherine McDonald July 11 1815 in Williamstown
Children: Duncan b 1817; Donald b 1822 m Anne Nancy Grant; Peter Ranald b 1825; Sarah b 1828; Janet b 1830 m Angus McCulloch; John R b 1831 m Ellen Grant ;
Alexander b 1835 m Ellena Grant.

Posted: 24 May 2013 1:33AM GMT
Hi J.,
Send me your email address and I'll send you my information on Peter and his sons John and Duncan. I don't have very much, at this point. I am working on it though. I think I have enough to apply for U.E.L status for John and maybe Peter. Duncan's tombstone states he is U.E.L and I recently got a microfilm of a document that states Duncan is the son of Peter. I will try to find Mr. Ron Smith's post.

Thanks so much cousin, and I look forward to sending you the information that I have. Colleen, if you want the information, please post your email address too!

All the Best!
Barb Gressel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic