Search for content in message boards

Smith from Kill - Kings County, Ireland

Smith from Kill - Kings County, Ireland

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 12:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2012 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I've been trying to pinpoint the locale "Kill" in Kings County for some time. My GGGrandfather states is his civil war record that he was from Kill, Kings County, but I've been unsuccessful in finding such a place. I did find that his brother was born in Philipstown (now Daingean), which helped tremendously. I see that Philipstown is in Killaderry parish, so I was/am wondering if "Kill" is short for Killaderry? When I went to the attached web site

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/of...

and click on Philipstown, it lists Daingean, Ballycommon, and Kill as variant names - which is the first time I've seen Kill mentioned... Do any of you know if Kill was a village/town, or a parish?

thank you

Scott

Re: Smith from Kill - Kings County, Ireland

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 7:42PM GMT
scott
Kill is in Co Kildare,near Naas.
kytol10

Re: Smith from Kill - Kings County, Ireland

Posted: 10 Oct 2009 3:17AM GMT
Hi Scott --

Kill is just outside Daingean (Philipstown) in Offaly. It is actually the township of Kilclonfert but was referred to as Kill in maps in the early 1820s. My family originated from Barnaboy which is a township a couple miles away from Kilclonfert and Daingean.

Check out the book "Towards a History of Kilclonfert, Offaly" edited by Michael Byrne. It has some info on Kill.

From O'Donovan's Ordance Survey Name -- Books for King's County 1837-8:

Kill -- "On the road from Kilbeggan to Philipstown, and borders the parish of Ballycommon. It contains 546a. 3r 20p. Parts of the northern and southern borders are bog and rough pasture; the rest is arable and pasture. In the centre of the townland is a grave yard, with the ruins of a church and a castle; and south of these is a holy well, called St. Clavin's Well."

Hope this is helpful.

Rob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic