Search for content in message boards

Matilda HART (Adopted Name)--Cherokee Indian

Matilda HART (Adopted Name)--Cherokee Indian

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, Hart, Worden
I know this may sound weird, and it could very well be a loose end, but, I know that my great-great-great grandmother's name was Matilda Hart (Her adopted name). She was apparently full-blooded Cherokee Native American and had mentioned the "Trail of Tears" I don't know if that means she was alive or heard about it from her biological parents. All I know is that she was adopted by a causcasian family with the last name Hart. I do not know her original name. She was born about 1845 guessing...Married by 1869 to a Daniel Davidson. They had a son, Chester Davidson who married a woman named Orpha Anderson, they had a son named Walter S. Davidson who married my Great Grandmother Velma "Grace" Worden. I myself am adopted, and found out today that I am 1/32 Cherokee(not much I don't know really). It doesn't matter, I would like help tracing roots beyond her adoption. I am seeking out my own biological roots along with my (adopted) family's histories. A lot of work, but so exciting to ay the least. Does this help? If you can help me find out more about Matilda or "Tilda" as she went by, I would be so grateful!

Re: Matilda HART

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2010 10:49PM GMT
Just a thought. If you know where the families lived, it might give some clues or at least a place to start looking in census records, etc. Sometimes migratory patterns can help.

Re: Matilda HART (Adopted Name)--Cherokee Indian

Posted: 25 Mar 2010 9:33PM GMT
I am looking for my Great Great Grandparents, one of which was supposed to be a Cherokee decent. My Grand Father her son was Edmound K Hart and was born in Texas around 2/1890-1 Not sure if there is a connection or not if you have any information please let me know. My Great Grandfather was suppose to have been a brand indspector in Oklahoma.

Re: Matilda HART

Posted: 26 Mar 2010 7:45PM GMT
I tried, but if she was adopted maybe that makes it more difficult. I'm having a hard time finding any record of her besides her marriage record.

Posted: 4 Apr 2010 4:13AM GMT
Matilda was adopted, that's what I'm told, but It is very possible that there is a connection, but Matilda married a Daniel Davidson in 1869, so maybe a brother of hers? She talked about the Trail of Tears and I don't know if she was on it, or her parents, but the story was passed down. I myself am an adoptee and unfortunately lack information because I only know what my birthmother told me just recently (despite closed adoption, I found her on the internet in 2003 so never give up on trying to find the information you're seeking!). She informed me of my biological family tree, and I'm just now seeking that out. I will talk to her more when I can.

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 2:54AM GMT
Matilda Hart was my grandmother's mom. Ida McWilliams Hixon. I knew there was Cherokee in our family, my brother said my great grandmom was 100% Cherokee. Wow, simply amazing that I found this post. If you want to contact me feel free to e-mail me at lightsbeacon@yahoo.com.

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 3:27AM GMT
Wow, wonderful to hear a connection finally! How do you descend down from Matilda? She was married to Daniel Merger Davidson...They had several children...Their son Chester Davidson married Orpha Anderson and their son Walter Davidson married Velma Grace Worden and their daughter is my biological grandmother, so Matilda is my G-G-G Grandmother I think...I am terrible with math, but I have not been able to prove Matilda's adoption (into the Hart family...) nor have I been able to truly discover and prove her Cherokee heritage... I will email you as well, But message me on this site too when you get this...

Posted: 30 Jan 2012 3:34AM GMT
i would appreciate hearing back from any of u regarding the native roots of the Hart family. My grandmother claims there was native indian in her side of the familly and I've yet to find it and I've been searching for years. Her mother,Rosetta 'Etta" was a Hart. Daughter of John Wesley Hart, who is the son of John Hart b.1831, this John is the son of Darius Hart and Emily Bradshaw. Darius is the son of Jonathon Hart who was born in the U.S. and came to Canada as a United Empire Loyalist. I sure would love to find the Indian connection. My grandmother and my uncle sure do look native. Unfortunately my grandmother is no longer alive to tell me anything I may need to find her roots. It seems to be a 'hush-hush' thing from the past.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions