Search for content in message boards

Two names at top - American Volunteer Soldiers, Mexican War

Two names at top - American Volunteer Soldiers, Mexican War

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2012 8:16AM GMT
There are two versions of the given name (or sometimes, surname) at the top of the Ref. Card. If neither one is on the drop-down list, how do we key this? What criteria would we use?

I have also had several examples of a similar case where the clerk entered (e.g.) "Smith, John W or J W". I have been keying the "or" and both given names exactly as seen, but is that correct? Sometimes the second version of the name is written smaller and up at the top margin. Does that make it any less valid? Should I continue to key them "exactly as seen" with the "main" version first and the second version second? Or the top version first?

Another way to handle this case would be to enter a second record (line) using the alternate name. Would that be acceptable?

See attached image.
Attachments:

Re: Two names at top - American Volunteer Soldiers, Mexican War

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 5:37PM GMT
I can't speak to this particular project, but in general:

* When the name that appears is not in the dropdown, key what you see and use F7 to mark it as such. (E.g., if what appears is "Jhon Smith", key the given name as Jhon even if that name isn't in the dropdown; for names, the dropdown simply contains suggestions, not the be-all and end-all)

* When a project does not contain Alias Given & Alias Surname fields, and two forms of someone's name is given, key either the first you come across or the fullest. ("First" is the strictest interpretation of the keying rules and what most projects will specify; "Fullest" is occasionally a project-specific exception to the general rules and some keyers will use it anyway on the thought that it's the most helpful to searchers). So for most projects, "John W Smith or J.W." would typically be keyed as Given name: "John W" and Surname: "Smith".

Re: Two names at top - American Volunteer Soldiers, Mexican War

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 6:36AM GMT
In this case you would only key the first name encountered as Smith, John W. Do not add additional lines. Key the name that is on the line and not a name above or below the line.

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions