Search for content in message boards

St. Andrew's Cemetery, Williamstown

St. Andrew's Cemetery, Williamstown

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRANT
Does anyone know if there is a map available of the plots in St. Andrew's Cemetery, Williamstown? I'm trying to learn how family graves are clustered together, specifically for GRANT burials.

Re: St. Andrew's Cemetery, Williamstown

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 2:53AM GMT
I would like to know this also. Visited there but don't recall the locations of family plots.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 12:23PM GMT
Hi Joy and Barb . If you check out the St Andrews Church Williamstown Ontario website you will see that the list of Trustees is same as Cemetery Committee . These persons would have access to such a Cemetery Plot Plan but whether they would be willing to put it online is another matter . In years past , Family Plots [large groupings of multiple family graves] could be given to extended family members as a given line of the family died out . The Trustees would have to be certain of this family connection , so some record probably exists . Maybe someone with influence could persuade this , and other churches , to place such info online . This could be a Win Win , as the churches' future lays in its past .

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 1:11PM GMT
Thanks, Jay.
Alternatively, do you or others know how the listings are arranged in Alex Fraser's "Gravestones" book? Did he list the stones in the order in which they are found on a walk-through? That would help, too.
I've thought about trying to get it by inter-library loan, but don't know if it would be useful.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 3:19PM GMT
Hi Joy . Not sure how Alex Fraser system works . If you Google --- St Andrews United Church Cemetery Glengarry Ontario --- , you should find a site created by Selwyn Wesley MacDiarmid in 2002 , his email then was SELWYNMAC@TELUS.NET .There is an index of names and pictures of the Gravestones . There are usually many names on each stone and they are numbered , but I do not perceive a pattern to these numbers . The Grant family you are interested are mainly buried in the south west section of this graveyard .

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT
Thank you! The stones are numbered so that they at least appear to show family groupings. I note that "my" John J. Grant is #167 and his father, James Roy Grant is #166, which means they must be next to each other.
I had been using the CornwallRoots website pictures of the stones, but there's no way to tell from that how they are arranged.
Actually, I'm still not sure about which Grant family I need. Oldest are James Roy Grant and John J. Grant that I'm sure of so far.
I do know now that James R's Lot 15W SSRR 2 was granted originally to Alexander Grant, his father. Awaiting copy of extract, after which we'll try to get the Patent.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 4:42PM GMT
Ref: Graveyard Map

There may be a map somewhere but looking at Fraser's book "Gravestones of Glengarry" there is layout of the grave yard in back of book which refers to various sections then perusing individuals gravstone they refer to a section of graveyard. Good Luck

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 4:55PM GMT
The stones are listed by the order of a walk through, as you mentioned, as best as Alex was able to do, with some stones not being in a row.
There is a plot map at the back of Vol. 1 of Gravestones of Glengarry for the Williamstown Cemetery. The location of the stone is listed with the inscription in the book and can be located on the plot map. There might be more stones placed between the ones that were copied in the book as it was done some years ago but there are also stones listed that are not there to-day.
Alex has copies of this book available if anyone is interested. See www.glengarrycounty.com/gofg.htlm

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 5:20PM GMT
I fear the book is way too expensive, especially with shipping added, for just a few look-ups. But I may see if I can get it from a library by inter-library loan.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 6:15PM GMT
I have a copy of the Book. Could I help by looking up a grave marker for you? Then I could probably get you directions to a stone, by mail or hard copy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions