Search for content in message boards

REED'S OF TN AND NC

REED'S OF TN AND NC

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: REED, READ, BRYSON
I have hit a brick wall. I have gotten as far as JAMES REED/READ born 1797 in NC and migrated to Wilson and Cannon Counties in TN. He married Elizabeth Bryson also from NC and their childern were Jackson Reed,David Burley Reed,Martha Reed,Jane Reed,Mary Reed,and Richard Reed. JAMES' sibs may have been Levi Reed,Martha Reed,and David B Reed. Most if not all settled in the lower part of TN. Any one related to this line please help. I can not find JAMES' parents.

Re: REED'S OF TN AND NC

Posted: 30 Dec 2001 4:09AM GMT
Do you have any children or siblings of children for James brothers and sisters? I have a James Reed in my ancestry and it is rumored that this Reed line came from Tenn, probably around Hamilton Co. The majority of the Reeds in my family live in Cherokee Co, Alabama now. I do know that my great great grandfather James Reed married my great great grandmother Jane Rose in Hamilton Co in 1865. They had several children and moved to Polk and Haralson Co Georgia before moving and settleing in Cherokee Co, Ala.

Linda Read Chesser (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 9:39AM GMT
Surnames: Reed/Read/Reid, Wallace, Hicky, Morris
My James Reed/Read m. Sally Hicky in Washington Co. TN on Dec. 1, 1798. I am looking for his and her parents and any other info. He was in the Watauga Settlement with Guilford Dudley and named his 2nd son b. 1803 (my 3rd grt-grandfather) Guilford Dudley Read. His eldest son b. 1799 was David Benjamin Read. They migrated to Davidson County. James bought land in Davidson Co. in 1805. Somebody, please help.

Elizabeth Hartsell (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2002 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hollan, Ramsey, Reed, Landreth
Hi Claudia,

My Reed ancestors are also from NC/TN. The only info I have so far is My grandfathers name is Charles Paragon Reed, b about 1885-1895. He married Anne-Kate Margaret Landreth, probably around 1915. They lived in the Ashville/Swannanoa area of NC. Kids- Margaret, Essie Mae 1919, (my mother), Charles P Jr., Eugene, Esther, William. Charles Paragon Reed died 1957, june or july in Washington D.C. He was a stonemason/bricklayer and helped build Biltmore House in Ashville. Anne-kate's mother was Nancy Ann Adams Landreth, her father's name was Benjamin Perry Landreth. They were probable born around the mid 1800's. Please let me know if any of these names are familiar to you. My email is lizardknits@juno.com Many Thanks in advance.

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Read/Reed/Reid, Wallace, Eaton, Stewart
James Read b. ca. 1763 d. 1838 TN had at least 3 sons. I do not know any of the spouses of James Read/Reed/Reid/Reede nor the counties in NC from where he came. The first record I have is of James Read buying land is near Whites Creek in Davidson Co. TN in 1811. He brought the 3 sons (or more) with him. They were David Benjamin Read 1799 NC-1872 TN m. Harriet Adarene Wallace; Gilford/Guilford Read 1803 NC-1883 TN m. Elizabeth Wallace(sister of above); and Lunsford L. Read b. 1804 NC d. 1850 TN m.1 --Eaton, m.2 Letitia Stewart. Lunsford lived in Robertson and Montgomery Cos. TN. Lunsford went to Nashville to live with a Wallace brother-in-law of David and Gilford, John Mourning Wallace. Lunsford died in Williamson Co. visiting relatives in Oct. 1850 and is buried in David Read's large plot in Nashville's Old City Cemetery. After his death, Gilford Read handled the affairs of his brother Lunsford. This is all documented. Please email me at lchesser4@comcast.net with any info or questions.

Posted: 18 Mar 2011 8:19PM GMT
I have information to share on this Reed family. James is the son of Jane Alexander and David Reed (Reid), who married 7 April, 1795, in Mecklenburg, NC. David is on the census in Mecklenburg, NC, in 1800, and Jane is head of household alone by 1820 (surrounded by Reed and Alexander households) in Wilson County, TN. There is a David on the census for 1810 in Rutherford County, but I have not definitively determined that this is the right David Reed. The ages would seem to be appropriate, though. I just found this information, but I think there is significant documentation on the Alexander family beyond Jane, whose father was Ezekial, who also migrated to middle Tennessee in the early 1800s. I haven't found anything beyond David on the Reed line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions