Search for content in message boards

Proof of Smith Heritage

Proof of Smith Heritage

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I need help with proving my Smith heritage for DAR membership. I descend from Jeremiah Smith (DAR Patriot) and Jemima Holley-Smith through their son Tobias Smith who married Rebecca Narcissus Bankston about 1805 in GA. Tobias and Rebecca moved from GA along with Tobias' mother, Jemima Holley Smith, Rebecca's parents, John and Henrietta Coates Bankston. and others about 1811/1812. They are shown in Census Records in Washington Parish, LA in 1820 and 1830. Tobias served in the War of 1812 from Washington Parish, LA. Tobias, Rebecca and Family, moved from Washington/Tangipahoa Parish, LA to Smith Co., MS after 1834, before 1840. Tobias died in Smith Co., MS in April, 1860.

I need proof that Tobias Smith is a son of Jerimiah Smith and Jemimah Holley-Smith. Can anyone help?

My gg-grandmother, Leah Smith, b. abt. 1825/26 LA, is Tobias and Rebecca Smith's youngest daughter. Leah married William Whitmel Craft, about 1842/43, most likely in Smith Co., MS. The Crafts appear as a family with 4 children in the 1850 MS Census in Attala Co., MS. The Craft family moved to Rapides/Vernon Parish, LA and appear there in the 1860 LA Census.

My other roadblock is in proving that Leah is Tobias and Rebecca Bankston Smith's daughter. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Rebecca Lunceford

Re: Proof of Smith Heritage

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:45PM GMT
I am a descendant of Jeremiah Smith and Tobias Smith. I just received the results of my DNA which shows that I am descended from Jeremiah Smith. I requested a kit in December and just got the results. I suggested that you request a kit from Ancestry. com and do the same.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:51AM GMT
DAR will not accept DNA results as proof, unfortunately. You need to have written evidence such as Birth, Marriage, and Death records.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:47AM GMT
I looked on the DAR web page and found a Jeremiah Smith married to Jemima (No Surname listed) Born Abt. 1755 died Abt. 1800. State of Service is Listed as South Carolina. State of Death Listed as Greenville District South Carolina. Could this be your Patriot? If so, I would try to look for a Probate record listed for him in South Carolina. Your best bet would be to find a Will listing heirs to the Estate. You might try finding one for his wife Jemima too, by looking in Louisiana and Mississippi. There are three people who are listed as descendants of this Patriot, through a son also named Jeremiah. The generations listing for each person shows a common thread with your info. They all show the families as being from South Carolina-to Georgia-to Mississippi. You can Purchase a record copy of a previously verified application on the DAR website. It can be used as supporting documentation to help link to a patriot. It costs ten dollars. I don't know if this helps at all, I wish you luck.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:02PM GMT
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any probate records for
either Jeremiah, Sr. or Jemima. I appreciate your input, your researach at the DAR site and efforts to help.
Rebecca

Posted: 7 Feb 2014 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Sondra,
I am part of a DNA reseach project at FTDNA. Can you upload your data to the free site gedmatch.com so that we can run comparisons with your cousins who have tested at 23andMe please? There are a few of us now who have tested, but as ancestry doesn't offer any tools whatsoever we test with companies that do and would love to see if we can pinpoint any shared Smith DNA. Also, the person who made the comment about DAR accepting DNA as proof, that is partly true--they will only accept Y DNA testing specifically, as proof and I located someone a few months back who is a male Smith descendant to Y test for our line from Tobias Smith. I am, as of yesterday, the contact in the Smith Y DNA project for our Smith group. We are haplogroup R1a1a. My cousin who tested for our line has only 9 matches at 37 markers which is excellent! Furthermore 7 of the 9 are Smiths. I'm happy to share our progress and work with anyone interested in the line of Tobias Smith and Rebecca Bankston. Just drop me an email, let me know you are replying to this thread and fill me in on how you connect please. I have a thread going already and can add you to it and we have a DNA research group on facebook as well to keep everyone posted on the latest updates and who is testing etc..
Cuzzin Lisa (trackingyourroots (at) gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic