Search for content in message boards

Meaning of "Lot D" in Charlottenburg SSRR

Meaning of "Lot D" in Charlottenburg SSRR

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have come across the following designation for a lot: "West 1/2 Lot D SSRR Charlottenburg." What does the "D" mean as opposed to a numerically listed lot, i.e.: "Lot 15?"

Re: Meaning of "Lot D" in Charlottenburg SSRR

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 11:41AM GMT
I was looking at the 1879 map of Charlottenburg Twp. and it appears that for some reason there was a departure from the standard of naming lots with Arabic numerals in favour of a letter system in at least one isolated area. Perhaps some other member knows the reason for this.

The "D" doesn't seem to signify anything other than its normal place in the sequence of the alphabet.

I've attached an image of a section of the township where this alternative alphabetic lot naming system was used.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT DINGWALL
Hi and thanks.
I've found it on the bigger map and compared it to the listing of lots from the McNiff map. Those lots did not have either letters or numbers on the original grantee listing. It just says they are south of the River Raisin and north of Sir John Johnson's land. Very odd.
I am now trying to connect some people there to grantees in 1801-3 period in 2nd Cons. SSRR. James DINGWALL, on the McNiff list and the Provisioning lists definitely connects to GRANT families on lots 15 E & W in 2nd SSRR group. And, although he is not on the McNiff list in that location, Alexander GRANT of KRRNY was on lot D in 1833 according to a war loss claim.
My goal now is to figure out whether the Alex GRANT, patentee of lot 15 W in 2nd SSRR, was the same man. (James DINGWELL's daughter married Alex GRANT of 15 W's son).
Now that I know where Lot D was, I can send for the Land Abstracts for both halves. Maybe I'll be lucky.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 6:27PM GMT
Hi Joy . I do not want to muddy the water too much on this , but will throw this out in hopes it catches other peoples interest and helps your search . Like many others here I have been relying on the internet listings for McNiff's Map Landholders 1786 for my research [ I have yet to find the actual map online , and might suggest this as a suitable endevour for some aspiring summer intern to take on]. Recently I attended at the Norwesters Museum in Williamstown , which has a large copy of this map on display . To my surprise I noted that the listing for the Lots in the Gore , North of the 2nd Concession from Lake , are very different in size [ half or less ] from most other lots [they are only half as deep but just as wide] . As a LOCAL , I thought that the GORE was North East of Summerstown Station , but these lots start directly South of John Duldreggan Grant of Lots 25 & 26 SSRR at Cashion's Glen and are numbered as Lots 15,16,17,18,19, to Thomas Dennis Esq.; Lots 11,12,13,14, to Pat. McNiff and family [ the Map Maker McNiff gave himself Swamp land---go figure]; Lots 6,7,8,9,10, to John Grant [possibly part of the 800 acres said to be in dispute , mentioned in said John Duldreggan Grant's Will of 1802 --- written out by Bethune the Minister at Williamstown] . Much of this land is swamp till this day . Apparrently Patrick McNiff did not "take up" his land as his Map Making ability led him to other areas and he is said to have sold copies of his maps to the Americans.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 7:08PM GMT
Jay, I found the following elsewhere on the Glengarry board and sent a request to the link, but haven't heard back yet.

Lot D on the 1874 map is in 1st Conc. Front mostly and the owner in 1874 was Alex Dingwall which links nicely to the 1786 listing of James Dingwall in that area, though the original lots were not numbered or lettered for some reason.

Joy

Re: McNiff's Map
evelyngoulet (View posts) Posted: 2 Dec 2011 8:37AM
I purchased this CD for $10 which is an index and includes maps - McNiff's Map. Certainly worth the money.

http://www.kipp-blake-families.ca/McNiff.htm

Regards,

Evelyn Goulet
Host, Glengarry County Genweb
Castle Tioram Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2013 4:00PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT DINGWALL
Update-- This is getting stranger. I've now been able to order the Abstract for Lot D 1st Conc. Front which was granted to James DINGWALL. But according to the clerk at Glengarry Land Registry Office, "W 1/2 Lot D 1st Conc. SSR," which is the one designated in the petitions of two sons of Alexander GRANT, does not exist. Yet I can see it on the 1874 map. It is just above the DINGWALL lot D and was in the hands of John McLaren in 1874.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic