Search for content in message boards

Marie Matit Soquet

Marie Matit Soquet

Posted: 21 Dec 2004 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Soquet, Clarambeau, Gleason, Bennett
I'm trying to find out who are the parents and siblings of Marie Matit Soquet. She married August Clarambeau (Clairenbaut) on 09 Apr 1874 in Brown Co., Wisconsin. Both August and Marie were born in Belgium. They had 11 children between 1874 and 1896. Between 1880 and 1895 they moved form Wisconsin to South Dakota. On the birth record of their last child, Charles Clarambeau, Marie Soquet's name had been americanized to Mary Sackett. If she sounds like someone's ancestor I'd appreciate any information you could give me on her.
Shelley

Re: Marie Matit Soquet

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2005 1:21AM GMT
On the 1860 Green Bay, Brown Co., Wisconsin census
there is a Maria Soquet listd at age 6, born Belgium. Here
parents were listed as John Soquet (extracted as Soqnit)
and Esperance Soquet.

On the 1870 Town of Preble, Brown Co., Wisconsin census
a Mary Soquet was listed as 16, born Belgium. Here parents
were John P. Soquet (extracted as Soqnet) and Esperance
Soquet.

This would mean that Mary or Maria Soquet was born
about 1854-55 in Belgium. She would be about 20 years of
age in 1874 IF this indeed is the same person that married
August Clarambeau.

Do you have when Mary or Maria Soquet was born and
when and where she died?

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 3:25AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Soquet, Clairenbaut/Clarembeau
I finally found out who were Marie's parents.

I ordered the marriage record of Marie Soquet and Auguste Clairenbaut. They were married in Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin on 9 April 1874. Her parents are Jean Joseph and Seraphine Soquet .They are in the 1880 Census--Kewaunee, Wisconsin. Her siblings are in the 1900 Census and show immigration to be May 1871 from Belgium (August's parents were listed as Charles and Julia Clairenbaut, which I already knew)

The other Marie (if I remember correctly) married a John Eckles. I had been very curoius about the Soquet's you mentioned because there is all kind of information in the 1890/91 newpaper about them. He apparently killed his wife, Esperance. The trial is talked about in depth.

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2005 1:21AM GMT
Good you fouond Marie's parentage.

Yes, I found August and Mary Clarenbaux (extracted spelling
was this way) on the 1880 Casco, Kewaune, Wisconsin census. Both were living with his parents listed as Charles and Mary J. Clarenbaux with the daughter-in-law listed as
Mary and born about 1855. This daughter-in-law being
Mary Soquet.

You are correct about Jean (John) Phillippe Soquet killing his wife named Esperance. I've been told that he has a number of newspaper articles there about him. He came West after his escape from prison in 1890 and eventually settled in
Oregon and died here. Surely, your Soquets and this
John P. Soquet's parentage are related somewhere don't
you think? since all lived in about the same area.

Ruthi

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 8:21PM GMT
This seems to be the same line as my great grandmother Elisabeth Soquet b: 3 jan 1863 in Brown her father was Jean P Soquet and mother was Esproundis/Esperance. I have her maiden name as Hannson. Not sure if she had an older sister named Mary. I do know that Elisabeth's daughter (Anne Alice Bibeau) named her daughter Esproundis, my aunt. My grandmother told me her grandparents were from Belgium. This is the only info I have and have been trying to find more on their heritage.
Please feel free to email me at: dhandy48@yahoo.com

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 8:24PM GMT
Do you have any more info on his killing of his wife and escaping prison?

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 3:02PM GMT
Ruth, I am confused about this info. Jean P Soquet is listed on the marriage info along with an E. Hannson as the mother of Lizzie's marriage to Basil Bibeau in 1879, supposedly 2 years after he went to prison. Do you have any info on the death of Esperance/Esproundis and actual info on the disappearance of the wife Jean P married after he supposedly killed his wife?

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 2:20AM GMT
You have the correct family. Esperance maiden name was HANNON according to another researchers info...not Hannson.
They are pretty close in spelling as you can see.
Elisabeth Soquet did marry a Bibeau man. Elisabeth Soquet-Bibeau's daughter, Anne Alice Bibeau, surely gave you the correct info.
I'll post this here and they e-mail you.
Ruthi

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 9:10PM GMT
Ruth, I have found a book written about the death and murder of Esperance Soquet in the Cofin Library at UWGB. It is called "The Tale of a Portrait".

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:51PM GMT
Is it possible to get a copy? How many pages?

I'm glad you found this book and is it good reading? You have hung in there and found some more family history.

My e-mail is RBarth1362@netzero.net

Hope to hear back from you. Ruthi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic