Search for content in message boards

George W WOOD and Eliza A CASSEL in Grant County, Wisconsin

Posted: 1 Sep 2002 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2002 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD CASSEL
My father has been searching for leads on his father's adoptive parents for over 25 years and today I found the marriage of George W WOOD and Eliza A CASSEL in Grant County, Wisconsin on August 8, 1865 (3 weeks after George mustered out of the Union Army in Louisville, Kentucky). I also found George's death record and his military record! What a day!

George and Eliza WOOD were the adoptive parents of my grandfather Forest Henry WOOD (born 2/18/1872 in Colesburg, Iowa). Forest was born out of wedlock and his mother was Alice CASSEL (Eliza's sister).

George died on 3/13/1902 and is buried in Waubeek Cemetery, Eau Galle, Wisconsin. On a research trip this summer I found his tombstone and shot a photo, just in case I made a connection some day. Today I confirmed he is our "George"!

That's all I know, I'm going to request a copy of the marriage, death and military records for further verification and potential answers.

If you have a connection, please respond.

Kathy

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 2:11AM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2006 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Cassel, Castle, Wood
Kathy,

You probably already have this, but here is the 1880 Census for Forest:

1880 Census, Eau Galle, Dunn, Wisconsin, Page 271A

George WOOD, 35, Farmer, NY, NY, NY
Eliza WOOD, 32, Keeps House, OH, PA, PA
Wm. WOOD, IA, NY, OH, Son
Forest CASTLE, 6, IA, NY, OH, Nephew

Dave Taft

Re: George W WOOD and Eliza A CASSEL in Grant County, Wisconsin

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 3:14AM GMT
No I didn't, thanks so much! After all these years of looking I can't tell you how strange it is to see evidence in writing.

I appreciate your thoughtfullness in sending the census info.

Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic