Search for content in message boards

Donald Alexander GRANT & wife Nancy CAMERON bur. St. Andrews Williamstown

Donald Alexander GRANT & wife Nancy CAMERON bur. St. Andrews Williamstown

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 4:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2013 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: GRANT McDONNELL CAMERON McDONALD
Thanks to the help of Jay Young, I now have the will of Alexander GRANT who rec'd the Patent at 15 W 1/2 2nd Cons. SSRR. The will was written in 1828 and proved in 1840. No wife was named as of 1828 and I know her only as Anne from the baptism of son James in 1799. Children named in the will are James, John, Nancy (marr.Malcolm McDONALD), Catherine (marr. Donald McDONELL), Alexander, Duncan, Hugh.
I have not been able to find documentation of this family group so far, but in the St. Andrew's graveyard there's a stone dedicated to grandparents Alexander GRANT (d.1791) and wife Marjory (d 1812) and parents Donald Alexander GRANT (d. 1840, age 85) and wife Nancy CAMERON (no death date). Sons of Donald A. and Nancy who erected the stone are: John, James, Duncan, Alexander and William. These match the will except for Hugh vs William.
Children of Alex GRANT and Anne CAMERON found in St. Andrew's baptisms are Hugh, b. 1805; John, b. 1808; Margaret, b. 1810. On the stone is also a dedication to sister, Margaret, so this fits as well.
So... Is anyone familiar with the family line of Donald Alexander GRANT and Nancy CAMERON? Could they be my elusive Alexander and Anne?

Re: Donald Alexander GRANT & wife Nancy CAMERON bur. St. Andrews Williamstown

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 2:13AM GMT
Joy:
I am happy you are slowly getting info of the family of your James Grant. If James is a descendant of persons listed on the tombstone in St Andrew's Church yard, I can tell you who Marjory Grant d 1812 wife of Alexander Grant d 1791 is. She is the dau of Alexander Grant and Isabella Grant of Sheuglie in Glen Urquhart Scotland. Marjory had an older sister Hannah Grant who was the mother of John Grant, Duldreggan (of lots 25 and 26 4th concession from the Lake. ) Anne Neuman

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 10:58AM GMT
Surnames: GRANT CAMERON
Wow! Really? Thanks a million, Anne.
The more I look, the more I think this is the right way to put the puzzle together. There are still some square pegs that don't quite fit the round holes, but maybe they will fall into place soon.
This means that my Grants would relate to the Duldreggan Grants after all. Just in a different way than we first thought.
Do you happen to know whether Alexander and Marjory actually came to America and to Charlottenburgh? From the way the stone is written, it could simply be a tribute to grandparents who remained in Scotland.
Joy

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 1:56PM GMT
I do not know for certain if they came to British North America. That will be something I and my sister Margaret will dig into and see if we can find the info.
We will likely start with the ships that came over after the Am Revolution. I do know they were not on ship that left Scotland in 1785, spent winter in NY city and people came into Canada the summer of 1786.
Take Care.

Anne

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 6:26PM GMT
Anne, I'll appreciate anything you turn up.
I'm at a disadvantage living in the U.S. Everything has to be either online or available on microfilm loan or ordered from Ontario archival sites, so it's very slow.

I am thankful for anything local folks on this board are willing to do to help.

I've wondered whether our Donald/Alex was the son of a soldier because he didn't get his patent until 1802 and his lot was only 100 acres instead of 200. But I have found no petition that seems to fit in any case.

I think he was living in Cornwall before coming to Williamstown. When James was born in 1799, his parents were "of Cornwall." Perhaps, Donald/Alex's parents, Alex and Marjory had land in the Cornwall area.

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 8:05PM GMT
There is an Alexander Grant that came on the Pearl 1773 to Tyron Country NY and recorded Sept 25, 1780 he held 100 acres.There is also an Alexander Grant that came North as UEL and took Lot 27 1st Concession Lake County (Now Lancaster) in 1786. There is also a land petition for Alexander Grant in Charlottenburgh in 1790.

Tal

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 8:53PM GMT
Thanks, Tal.
I'll recheck these, or at least the 1790 one which I don't remember seeing. The lot that our Alex received was 15 W 1/2 in 2nd Cons. SSRR in 1802.
When I was looking at petitions for Alex and/or Donald Grant, I came across one for a Richard (not our line) which said that at the time (1815), there were FOUR Alex'r Grants in Charlottenburgh. No wonder I'm having a problem-- especially since this Alex seems to have once been Donald.
Any chance there was a Marjory Grant on the Pearl?
Joy

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 1:38PM GMT
Joy,

It's a shame but they only listed the males. I checked for Alexander Grant on my Carleton's Loyalist Index and there are 45 listed. I have a Word Doc with some Alexander Grants that I can send but this site will not allow so give me your email.

Tal

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 3:58PM GMT
Thanks, Tal, I'd appreciate it.
My email is: joyweave@verizon.net

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 4:14PM GMT
On the subject of Alex Grant land petitions, can some of you look at this one? http://tinyurl.com/mdgz85u

If that link doesn't work, it's image 398 at the CollectionsCanada microform site below.
Can anyone make out the word that looks like "Redmod?" The quote is about minutes which call him "son of a ___ soldier."

Name:
Grant, Alex.
Place:
Cornwall
Year:
Volume:
Bundle:
G Misc. 1789-1795
Petition:
Microfilm:
C-2042
Reference:
RG 1 L3
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions