Search for content in message boards

looking for Masellis, Wesockes, Burkauskas roots in Lithuania

looking for Masellis, Wesockes, Burkauskas roots in Lithuania

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Masellis, Wesockes, Burkauskas
My grandparents were Frances Wesockes and John Masellis. ggrandparent elizabeth Burkauskas and George Wesockes, and John and Mildred Masellis.

Re: looking for roots in Lithuania

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 5:58PM GMT

Hi, how much research have you been able to do so far? Have you checked the Ellis Island site, for example? Also, the Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society site has a very useful surname index, as well as a number of other databases.
http://www.lithuaniangenealogy.org/databases/surnames/index....

And where did you relatives who emigrated spend most of their lives?

Thanks.

Re: Wesockes

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 1:25AM GMT
Surnames: Wesockes, Wysocki
Wesockes is also spelled Wysocki. There is a Wysocki family in the Madison, Wisconsin area.

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 3:48PM GMT
Yes, I did look on ellis island, and also that link you posted, thanks. My grandparents spent their life in Ma.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: Wisocockos, Wesokes
Did you see the Ellis Island manifest for Elzbieta Wisocockos,21, arrived 4/1/1914, going to her husband Jurgis (George),in Athol MA, from what looks like Obalniki Kowno?
I can find a town Obelninkai,Alytaus region, but I don't think it would of been considered "Kowno", more like Suwalki region, I believe. I find this family in the 1920 Athol census listed as George Wesokes, 30, arrived 1914, wife Lizzie? 23, son Charles 4, Emma 3, Anthony 2, and George 2 months.

I did not find George on the Ellis Island records.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 1:55PM GMT
OMG! No, I haven't seen that. Maybe because the spelling was a little off. And my grandmother's siblings were Charlie, George, Anthony, but Emma I don't know of? could be that she was called something else, or died very young? Thank you so so so much. I REALLY appreciate that.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Wisockis, Wisockes, Wisocki, Wisoukzo
Elzbieta was detained at Ellis Island (lack of funds) and the U.S. immigration office typed her name on the form as "Eliz Wisockis", released her to her husband, Jurgis, at 86 Woodward Ave., Athol, Mass. The spellings are not so much Lithuanian but perhaps Polish ("w" rather than "v" and "ck" rather than "k").

In 1914, Obelninkai was indeed part of the Suwalki gubernia or governate of Czarist Russia, but could the town name possibly be spelled "Obaliukis"? Not that I can find any village close to this spelling. Just a thought, maybe help keep options open.

Also, I was able to find George Wisockes, arriving on the S.S. Lapland from Antwerp on Dec. 08, 1913. He was also detained at Ellis Island and released to his wife, Elizabeth, in Athol, Mass.

Now for the fun part. I finally found his main manifest entry using Steve Morse's search pages. On Ellis Island's data base, he is indexed as "Fuvgis Wisockes", age 26, last residence was America between the years 1908 and 1912, meaning that he first arrived in the U.S. around 1908, lived here till 1912, then returned to Lithuania in 1913 and returned to the U.S. that same year. He father is Jonas Wisocki, living in Miliuzy? Meilnozy? in the Kowno gubernia. He was going to his wife, Elizabeth, in Athol, Mass.

On ancestry.com, you can find his main manifest entry indexed as "Fugio Wisoukzo"!!!! Isn't amazing how the name was read by two different people and typed up into the indexes this way.

I made an unsuccessful try at finding his original arrival manifest in the years 1907-1910, but I think it will take more creative digging.

John Peters

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 9:22PM GMT
Surnames: Weisouskie, Wiczsiuckas, Wisockis, Timuchunas
In the 1910 U.S. Census for Athol, Mass., I found a George Weisouskie (as indexed), living at 14 Charles Place as a boarder with Peter and Hanna Timuchunas and their children. George said that he arrived in the U.S. in 1907 and was working at "Electric R.R." I recall seeing a street name on one of the manifests that looked like "Charl". This is likely to be the George we are looking for.

On May 08, 1907, a "Jurgis Wiczsiuckas", age 27 arrived on the S.S. Trave at Ellis Island. He was from Misztimej? in Lithuania and was going to his brother, Pietras, in West Nashua, NH, just over the border from Massachusetts and east of Athol, MA. Whether he is the same George Wisockis found elsewhere remains to be determined.

John Peters

Posted: 7 Jun 2008 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Masellis, Wesockes, Wisockis, Visakes, Wisowfska, Virakas, Visauckas, Walsh
After some searching on ancestry.com, I found many records of Masellis and Wesockes (Wisockis, Visakes, etc.) living in Athol, Mass. Unfortunately, the web site does not permit paragraphs, so I have numbered all the records I found and you can then copy and paste them into a word processor, create paragraphs and permit easier reading:

1. In the Social Security death Index:

John Masellis, Athol, Mass., born Aug. 15, 1891, died May, 1967 (card issued NH)

Mildred Masellis, Athol, Mass., born June 15, 1898, died July 1966

2. 1930 U.S. Census for Derry (Rockingham county), NH:
John Masellis, age 38, and his wife Mildred, age 31, both born in Lithuania, employed as shoe workers in a shoe shop, arrived in the U.S. in 1913. They were married at ages 27 and 20 respectively, i.e., in 1919 (though the ages of their children suggest a different date). They lived with their two children, both born in Massachusetts:
Joseph, age 13 (before they were married? unlikely)
Antonie, age 10

3. A WWI draft registration: John Masellis, age 27 (in 1918), born Aug. 1889 in Raguna Russia (Lithuania was then part of Russia), single, living in East Jaffrey, NH -- about 25 miles north-northeast of Athol.

4. Athol City Directory, 1920: John Maselis, employed by the DMCo., living at 10 Elizabeth

5. Athol City Directory, 1926: John Masellis (wife Mildred), emply at the UTDCo., living on N. Orange St.
(No other listings for them in the 1916 through 1938 Directories).

6. Athol City Directory, 1926: John Masellis (wife Mildred) working at UTDCo., living on N. Orange St.
(no other listings between 1916 and 1948)

7. Athol City Directory, 1948: John A. and Frances E. Masellis moved to Orange (presumaby Street name, but perhaps a town of that name)

8. Athol City Directory, 1954: John S. and Mildred Massellis [sic]; he worked as a floorman at UTDCo., living at 179 Freedom St.

9. Athol City Directory, 1956: John A. Masellis, carpenter, and his wife, Frances E., lived at 164 Freedom St.
Also: John S. Masellis, floorman at UTDCo., and his wife, Mildred E, wrapper at UTDCo., lived at 179 Freedom

10. Athol City Directory, 1958 through 1962: John A. Masellis, carpenter, and his wife, Frances E., lived at 6 Maple

11. Athol City Directory, 1916: George Wisowfska, working at the UTDCo. (see John Masellis above), living at 481 Chestnut St.
Also: Joseph Virakas, employed at LBros. Co., living at 8 Main St.
(Note: Follow this person and later, another named Jurgis, their addresses and employers. I am reasonably sure this Joseph is a relative of George Wesockes)

12. Athol City Directory, 1918: George Wisowfska, cabinet maker, living at 481 Chestnut
(This may or may not be your George).

John Virakas, laborer, living at 58 Adah
Joseph Virakas, employed at LBros. Co., living on N. Orange Rd.
(As you will see the name Virakas plainly was used by Jurgis/George, so it seems likely that John was also a relative of Joseph and Jurgis/George)

13. Athol City Directory, 1920: George Virakas, laborer, living at 17 Harvard
John Virakas, laborer, living at 58 Adah
Joseph Virakas, employed at LBros. Co., living on N. Orange Rd.

14. Athol City Directory, 1922: Jurgis Virakas, working at the AMfg. Co., living at 17 Harvard
Also: Joseph Virakas, employed at LBros. Co., living at 424 N. Orange Rd.

15. Athol City Directory, 1924: Jurgis Virakas, working at the AMfg. Co., with his wife, Lizzie, living at 17 Harvard
Joseph Virakas, and his wife, Valeria, living at 424 Orange

16. Athol City Directory, 1926: Jurgis Visauckas, working at the AMfg. Co., living with his wife, Lizzie, at 17 Harvard.
Also: Joseph Virakas, and his wife, Valeria, living at 424 Orange

17. Athol City Directory, 1932: Juris Visauckas and his wife, Elizabeth, living at 17 Harvard
(note: Joseph Virakas does not appear again after this)

18. Athol City Directory, 1934: Jurgis Visauckas, a laborer, living with his wife, Elizabeth, at 17 Harvard
Charles Visauckas, living at 17 Howard (NOTE: this is probably a mis-print, it should likely be "Harvard" not "Howard.")

20. Athol City Directory, 1938: George Wesockes, clerk, living at 17 Harvard
George and Elizabether Wesockes, living at 17 Harvard
Charles Wesockes, working at B&MRR, living at 17 Harvard
Anthony F. Wesockes, working at the WPA, living at 17 Harvard
Amelia R. Wesockes, married Henry Walsh, moved to Newton

21. Athol City Directory, 1942: Wesockes,
Anthony, tailor, 17 Harvard
Elizabeth, widow of George, 17 Harvard
George, died Jan. 20, 1940, age 49
George A. and wife Grace P., 1040 Main St.
John, emoloyed at NDCCo., 17 Harvard

22. Athol City Directory, 1944: Wesockes
Anthony F., tailor, 17 Harvard
Elizabeth, widow, 17 Harvard
John, manager, 17 Harvard

23. Athol City Directory, 1948: Wesockes
Anna, stitcher, 220 Freedom
Anthony F. and his wife, Linda) moved to California
Elizabeth, widow of George, 18 Harvard
Frank, 18 Harvard
George A., YMCA
Grace P. (Mrs.), dressmaker, 1040 Main
Pauline A., clerk at UTDCo., 18 Harvard

24. Athol City Directory, 1954: Wesockes
Anna M., beauty shop, 62 Exchange
Eleanor, shoe worker, 18 Harvard
Frank C., construction worker, and wife, Anna M., 68 Exchange
Grace P., working at NDCCo., 1040 Main
Pauline A., clerk at UTDCo., 18 Harvard

25. Athol City Directory, 1956: Wesockes
Anna, beauty shop, 62 Exchange
Eleanor, married to John Thompson
Grace P., working at NDCCo., 1040 Main
Pauline, 18 Harvard

26: Athol City Directory, 1959 and 1960: Wesockes
Charles R., 1040 Main
George A., and wife Helen, 173 S. Athol Rd
Helen (Mrs.), 173 S. Athol Rd.
Pauline, 18 Harvard

27. Athol City Directory, 1961: same as 1959 and 1960 except:
Elizabeth A. Wisockes, died Jan. 01, 1961, age 65

28. Athol City Directory, 1962: Wesockes
Charles J. and wife, Rose, living at 1 Raymond
George A. and Helen M, 173 S. Athol
Helen, 173 S. Athol
Pauline, 18 Harvard

John Peters

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 1:43PM GMT
You are amazing, and so kind! I just can't believe how much you've found. I really really appreciate all that you've done. It's so kind of you. I'm not sure if I would have made the connections with the different spellings.Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions