Search for content in message boards

St. Raphael's Cemetery "Lost Stones"

St. Raphael's Cemetery "Lost Stones"

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 12:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Aug 2013 7:24PM GMT
Hi Glengarry Cousins . J. Young here with another quest . Recently I was informed that the actual graveyard at St. Raphael's Church graveyard had been "landscaped" sometime in the distant past . That some of the PIONEER gravestones [possibly crude markers , or stones that were severly weathered] had themselves been interred , and buried beside the church proper . Could anyone shed light on this matter? Is there grounds here for an archaeological DIG ?

Re: St. Raphael's Cemetery "Lost Stones"

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 2:23AM GMT
I would be interested in any further information on this cemetery as I have ancestors reportedly buried there. One being Alexander "Breae" Chisholm b. 1749 Scotland. Died 1809 at Kenyon Twp; Glengarry County. Burial St. Raphael's Cemetery; Glengarry County.
Thank you for this.

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 4:17PM GMT
Jay,
Thanks for posting this!
Relatives on my file are reported to have been buried there, according to church records, but no gravestones.
I have wondered how so many people could be buried in such a small space as the cemetery that we see today?
Wouldn't that be an amazing dig?

Colleen Kinnear Newbold

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 7:39AM GMT
Colleen,

According the book "Gravestones of Glengarry, Volume III" c1951-1953 there was a renovation done to the old part of St. Raphaels cemetery (it being one of the oldest cemeteries in the area). The author said that the pastor made a record of all of the gravestones which unfortunately was lost when the contractors trailer burnt.

From the authors understanding the pastor had attempted to contact all of the families involved, some of whom responded with new stones - that resolved a question of mine as to why there were so many newish looking stones in the graveyard when I was there 20 years ago.

The Author "Alex W. Fraser" says that his understanding is that only old broken down stones were buried, and that maybe 100 stones were involved.These were buried on the north east side of the cemetery on the slope near the road.

Pete McDonald

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 1:03PM GMT
Thanks Pete,
This answers a lot of questions and I suppose that some graves could have been without stones in the first place.

Colleen

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 3:06AM GMT
Colleen,

I suppose that some of the graves could have been without stones, but I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the books that I have on St. Raphael's. Only the graveyard cleanup that I mentioned in my last missive.

Pete

Posted: 22 Sep 2013 4:19AM GMT
See my reply several messages down in the list for this subject, it should answer your question.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic