Search for content in message boards

a missing death - Austin Smith born abt 1831 in Ireland

a missing death - Austin Smith born abt 1831 in Ireland

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 7:45PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hello

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction please?
I have Austin Smith born abt 1831 in Ireland. He is in Liverpool for the 1851 census. He marries in Liverpool in 1858 but he never appears again. His children are born between 1860 and 1871. I know he is a mariner so maybe he's always at sea for the census but there shoud be a death registered somewhere although I can't find it. His wife remarried in 1879. I did find one Austin Smith's death at sea but this chap was ten years older than mine and it said he was from Nova Scotia. Any ideas please?
Many thanks
Irene

Re: a missing death - Austin Smith born abt 1831 in Ireland

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 8:04PM GMT
Hi Irene
I was intrigued by your missing death for Austin Smith so I had a look. There is a Catholic burial in Liverpool, at Ford Cemetery, for Austin Smith in 1860 and gives his address as Arley Street and age 26 (on Ancestry in Liverpool Catholic Burials). Could this be him?
Chris

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 8:22PM GMT
Thanks hobson_uk for taking the time to look. This can't be my Austin because his first child was born in 1860 and the last in 1871.
It is really odd that I can't find him but I will keep trying.
Thanks again
Irene

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 8:12AM GMT
Hi Irene
Have you tried looking at the Merchant Navy records on Find My Past? A quick search (free) revealed 3 Austin's - the one born Nova Scotia + one born Armagh and one Liverpool plus an A born 1830 and several other A's. There are also Crew Lists on that site. It might be a place to look. Also found a death for an Austin Smith in Bedford in Sept qtr. 1871 (aged 48).

Chris

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 8:25AM GMT
Thanks Chris

I did search there and on other websites. I found the chap born in Nova Scotia but he didn't fit the bill. I didn't see one born in Armagh so I will take another look. I was told by my Grandmother that he was the captain of a ship travelling between Liverpool and New York. Some of his children were born in New York but are registered in Liverpool. His wife was in Liverpool and still married in the 1861 census, the children were still with her. Again in 1871 she is in Liverpool but an Annuitant so she must have been receiving a pension following his death. In 1881 she has remarried and Austin's children are with her and her new husband.
It's all very curious but I will try the Merchant Navy records again.

Thanks
Irene

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 9:04AM GMT
Hi Irene
It sounds like ships' records are the way to go to find out more about Austin. There are some crew and masters and mates records on Ancestry (and Find My Past) and I did a quick look. There are lots for Austin Smith but most of them are definitely for a man born 1823 in Nova Scotia. I think you need to consider that he may have used a different name as well (which might lead to the death record). You could also try Google for Ships Lists, or look at Cyndi's ships list. I hope you find him! Chris

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 2:55PM GMT
Hi Chris

I'm on granny duty all this week so haven't had much time to think but I had an hour or so this afternoon and tried Find my Past but couldn't see the Austin Smith born in Armagh. I do think he sounds promising. I have his marriage cert and that of one of his daughters and there is no mention of a middle name that he might have used.
Thanks for your help I will just keep trying.

Irene

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 8:06AM GMT
Hi Irene
Sorry, it was the Merchant Seamen's list on Findmypast where I saw the Armagh record. If you put in his first and last name and year of birth with 10 years either side you should see this brings up quite a few Austin Smiths b 1830 and 1831 Armagh but some are spelled Smyth (the old Irish version of Smith which many people changed). Sorry about the error but hope this helps. Chris

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:59AM GMT
Hi Chris

I hope you don't mind my contacting you again for some advice. I have found the record for Austin born in Armargh in the Merchant Navy records but it only gives a name and number. How can I go about finding out if he's my Austin? All I know about his past is that he was born in Ireland and his Father was called Jonathan and he was a farmer. I have his age from the 1851 census when he was in Liverpool aged 20. I am wondering if there is any way I can find out more info online.

Many thanks again for all you help.
Irene

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Smyth
Hi Irene
You might want to e-mail me on
treemailbox2008-ancestors@yahoo.co.uk and that way I can send you copies of anything I can find (if you want me to look for you, which I am happy to do). If you just want me to suggest some ideas we could stay on this message board.

I expect you have looked at the Familysearch website - I had a quick look and there were a few merchant navy records, 1 born Armagh, 1 Co Mayo and I 1823 (probably too early) but not much info. Also: www.emeraldancestors.com is a good website but you can only see so much info before paying (£10pm - not bad) I couldn't find anything for austin but there was a death for Jonathan Smyth in 1860 in Armagh. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirwgw/armagh_nirgw.html has a big list of Armagh websites that might be useful. Griffiths Valuation records show who rented and owned land in Ireland so you should check that out at: www.ifhf.rootsireland.ie and you will also find BMDs etc there. You probably realise that Smith, especially in Ireland, is very difficult - I have been looking for some Smiths in Co Tyrone for about 3 years and not got very far, but you never know what you might find so worth a look. Hope this is some help. Get in touch by e-mail if you wish. Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions