Search for content in message boards

HILL

Posted: 25 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Apr 2004 7:44PM GMT
Need any info on HRW Hill (Henry (sometimes called Harry) Rufus Willie Hill who died 17 Sept 1853 at his Live Oak Plantation near New Orleans in Orleans Parish Need names & dates of children (one was named James Dick Hill Is the home of HRW Hill still standing at the Live Oak Plantation I understand HRW Hill was Grand Master of the New Orleans Masonic Lodge - would like dates he held that office and any other offices he held in the Masonic Lodge My email address changed since I first posted this query due to "operator error" so I hope any answers after July 6 will be posted again Thank you George Watson
Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Biography
James Dick Hill is the only Hill child who survived to adulthood. Two sisters died previously in Nashville. Hill was grand master of masons in Louisiana, and tried to build the first Grand Lodge, but I understand never could get it off the ground prior to his death. He was an active supporter of Methodist Churches in Jonesborough, Tennessee; Nashville, and Louisiana, having entertained Bishops McKendree and Andrews, as well as numerous preachers. He is thought to have become a citizen of New Orleans around 1840, after the banking crisis of the late 1830s in Tennessee. He also helped to raise funds for the cause of Texas Independence, being appointed a special agent to Tennessee by the Texans. He entertained Parson William G Brownlow who stayed in New Orleans during the War for Texas Independence in the 1840s and wrote dispatches from the warfront for his Jonesboro and Knoxville Whig newspapers. He was a partner with James Dick in the Cotton Factorage known as Dick and Hill, which was one of the wealthiest cotton trading companies in the antebellum south.
Posted: 8 Sep 2013 11:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've done quite a bit of research on James Dick Hill but haven't seen anything on his sisters who died. Thanks! Have you come across a photo of James Dick Hill. He was a writer for the Nashville Banner before he died, and apparently fairly well known in Nashville. There must be a photo of him somewhere, but I have been unable to locate one. I have seen a portrait of Harry R. W. Hill. Any leads on a photo of James Dick Hill would be much appreciated. You can e-mail me at jtm@netdoor.com. Thanks,

Jim McCafferty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic