Search for content in message boards

Schermerhorn/Becker

Schermerhorn/Becker

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 5:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestors -- Herbert Schermerhorn and Alice Harris were married in 1876 in Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa in 1876. They had two children born while there and those children are registered as Schermerhorns. The family is listed on the 1880 Census in Iowa as Schermerhorns. But . . . in 1900 they are in California as Herbert and Alice Becker, with the same children, plus others! Also, Herbert is listed as a Becker in the Ontario 1871 Census with his parents, Lou and Nancy Becker. Oh . . . in the 1880 Census Lou (Louis) and Nancy show up in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa as Schermerhorn as well!!! Does anyone know what may have happened to cause this name change during these years?????

Re: Schermerhorn/Becker

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Schermerhorn, Becker, Harris
You may want to contact Bonnie Flannery (http://community.ancestry.com/profile.aspx?mba=00df6b56-0002...)

I believe that this is her branch of the Schermerhorn family and she may be able to give you further information about that. My Schermerhorn line comes from Henry P. Schermerhorn whom emigrated from New York State to Iowa in the mid 1800s.

Re: Schermerhorn/Becker

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 10:48PM GMT
Thanks for your reply and your suggestion to contact Bonnie. I'll be doing that soon!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic