Search for content in message boards

Local Mayo Researchers

Local Mayo Researchers

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am at a 99.99% level of certainty in having located the Walsh family from which my family arose. I am missing some information that I am certain can only be found off-line in Co. Mayo. I am considering engaging a researcher in Mayo, specifically for Lugaphuill, Ballycarra, Mayo. I've considered the South Mayo Family Research Center but wanted to solicit some feedback here before acting.
Thanks for any help that can be given!

Re: Local Mayo Researchers

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:19AM GMT
You can also try Eneclann the genealogy division of Trinity College. No comment on the research center as I haven't used it myself. They will have the parish records that exist for
the area. Years ago I found the expense of the Wicklow
center to be exhorbitant but after visiting Ireland and doing my own research I can understand now how many hours are required for research. I was also fortunate in that the family I was investigating were Church of Ireland. Their parish registers to 1899 are kept in one place, at their Representative Church Library. I do know RC records are all kept in local custody and most gave access to them being copied by local genealogy centers so there were no so many
tourists wanting parish priests doing research. Only a
few Catholic Diocese are doing their own genealogy research.

You can also try looking for journals produced by Heritage
and Museum Societies for gravestone inscriptions.

Annette Code

Re: Local Mayo Researchers

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:06PM GMT
Annette,
Sorry for the delay in responding, the holidays have kept us busy. Thanks you for the Eneclann suggestion. I've already looked it over and it is a bit pricey. I will compare them to the South Mayo research centre and make a decision. BTW, thank you for all the efforts you put forth here on these boards. You've answered more than a couple of my queries and you need to know that it is certainly appreciated.
Regards,
Chuck Walsh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic