Search for content in message boards

Help Needed to get copy of McNiff's Map 1786 Digitized and posted on Internet

Help Needed to get copy of McNiff's Map 1786 Digitized and posted on Internet

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Sep 2013 12:58PM GMT
J. Young here . Recently a relative lent me his copy of McNiff's Map 1786 [which has been in his possession for 66 years] . He and I agree that this map should be Digitized and made available to all on the Internet . The copy I have now , measures about 32" X 14" , but would need to be 'BLOWN UP' when posted so that the individual lot holders could be more easily read . The McGill U. site did a wonderful job posting the Beldan Atlas County Maps , but they only work on items they own , and this McNiff's Map 1786 is not mine to give them . I will drive the map to Ottawa , Kingston , or Montreal and wait for it to be processed , then return home with it . Such items tend to disappear if left unattended . E jyoung-young@hotmail.com with your thoughts on how best to proceed , Thanks J.

Re: Help Needed to get copy of McNiff's Map 1786 Digitized and posted on Internet

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 11:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
If it were in my possession, I would scan it in sections and "knit" it back together. Scan at no less than 300 dpi. The dpi can always be reduced, but not enlarged with good results. I have worked with many oversized pieces with great results. This site: http://www.ourroots.ca has a digital copy of Butternuts and Maple Sugar : some history of the old 14th of Lancaster Township, Glengarry County, Ontario (5th concession Lochiel) they have made available with free registration. They are trying to put Canada history on-line so it is available free to people. If you can get a good digital copy made they might be interested in helping you. Agree, never ever let the original out of your sight!
Reb
per page

Find a board about a specific topic