Search for content in message boards

Glovers in Mississippi?

Glovers in Mississippi?

Donna Glover (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 11:10AM GMT
My grandfather was named Robert Coleman Glover, he had a brother William Jeffrey Glover born in Forrest Co. Miss. and a brother named Joe Glover. His parents died when they were small. I believe that his mother was named either Melissa or Jennifer.
I feel like I have fell from another planet.
I have found nothing but dead ends. any information would be greatly appreciated

Glover's in MS

Walter Glover (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2000 10:20AM GMT
I have a Joseph Glover Born 1798 in Lowndes County MS who married Ducilla Drussillar Luellen Vaughan. His Nick name was either Joab or Joe. Not sure if it is the same.

William Glover of Mississippi

Maggie Whitton (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2000 6:12PM GMT
Not sure if family connection. My greatgrandfather was William Glover and he was from Mississippi. He married Mary Ann Luce, a full-blood Cherokee. Their daughter was Mary Magdalene Glover, born 1893 in Arkansas and a son named Larkin. Hope this helps you and myself, as I am searching too. If you have any pertinent info my e-mail is susanjesse@juno.com.

Glovers in Ms

Rice Glover (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 5:37PM GMT
My father, Thomas Jefferson Glover was born in Lowndes Cty. Nov. 1,1918 and his father, Thomas Jefferson Glover Sr.'s father was James Gilmore Glover.

Glover's in MS

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 4:50PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2001 2:18AM GMT
Donna, we are looking for a Thomas Riley Glover. This is my husbands Grandfather. We think that he had a Brother named Elmer. He also had aa sister and she married Willie Haven. Would like any information that you might have that might help us out. Thanks Annette & Tommy

Re: Glovers in Ms

Posted: 11 Sep 2001 3:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2002 5:59PM GMT
I believe that James Gilmore Glover was my great-grandmother Frances America Glover's brother, but I know very little about her family. I would be happy to share what I do know and would be very interested in learning anything you might be able to share.

Donna Shaner (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2001 2:42PM GMT
I probably wouldn't do you much good. All I know about my great grandparents is that they were born in Hurricane Creek Mississippi. My great grandmother was Melissa Grimes born in 1860. My great grandfather was Edwar Glover born in 1856. I have records where they moved into Choctaw Co. because my grandfather was born in Yantley, Al. in 1899. He had a sister named Mattie, a brother named Joe and one named Jeff. I think there was another daughter that died in Yantley named Ella when she was about 11.
These are the most private people I have ever tried to do research on. Its like they stepped off a space ship and in a while stepped back on it and their existance was erased.

Re: Glovers in Mississippi?

Posted: 17 Feb 2002 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2002 3:08AM GMT
I have not heard of the names you mentioned, but my maiden name is Glover, and I grew up in NE MS.

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 6:01PM GMT
Thomas Jeffeson Glover 1918
Thomas Jefferson Glover 1890
James Gilmore Glover 1849
William Glover 1825
William Glover abt 1795
Major William Glover 1771

Re: Glovers in Mississippi?

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Glover
We are likely related somewhere along the line. And I am glad to see you seeking information of the Glover Family. My mother was a Glover. So I will offer you all that I know about it. This is important work that needs to be done.

My maternal grandfather was named Ed Glover. I never knew him because he died before I was born. And this is where the story starts to get interesting indicating that it is worthwhile to look deeper.
Apparently, he was much older than my grandmother. She was his second wife. They met in Arkansas. But, he was originally from Mississippi as far as I know.
It seems that he was an important government official during the Reconstruction Period. At the end of Reconstruction, he was forced to leave Mississippi and escape to Arkansas. He swam across the Mississippi River. I suppose the white racist terrorists were in hot pursuit of him. He obviously left everything he owned behind in Mississippi, including his wife and children.
He is described as being Native American, at least mostly full-blooded. People in that area very frequently intermarried between Africans and Native Americans. If it would be of any help to you, my grandmother claimed descent from the Crook Nations, also of that area. They are all part of the mound builders culture whom recent research indicate may have migrated from Africa (especially the Islamic and Northern parts) prior to the coming of Columbus. Indeed Columbus seems to have learned navigation from the Muslims of Spain and Portugal.
The name Glover appears among the Melungeon Surnames that are recently being compiled by various researchers such as this one: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GLOVER/1969-12.... I think you could benefit by studying an researching the Melungeon people of America. You might want to start simply by doing a googlesearch on the keyword “Melungeon.”
As I said, my grandfather left family behind in Mississippi. About ten years ago, shortly before my mother passed away, she found her long lost half-brother. His name was William Glover. He lived in Oklahoma in the Tulsa area. Look around there. Also, my brother helped with the research project. I am sure that he can give you more information than I can. Note that the Indians were forced from the Mississippi area into Oklahoma. That would have included a large number Africans and people related to Africans by blood and by marriage. Stay in contact with me.
There was a community called Glover, Mississippi. Although I have never found the time to check the official records, the best information available to me at this time is that Glover, Mississippi is a very small village located near Mound Bayou, Mississippi. That would place it Bolivar County. Search Bolivar County Records and I am very hopeful that you will find some leads there.
In my family, I am link to the Melungeon people through every name that I have, including Cook and Nelson. So, it is extremely hard for me to keep track of all the details because as a historian myself my own mind is always clogged with a great deal of data relating to other people and events, etc. And, there appears to be a reluctance to link the name Glover to the Melungeons. But, I am certain that the Glovers are Melungeons. Also, the names Robert and Coleman appear among Melungeons very freqnantly. You should that we as Africans tend tp pass family names from grandfather/mother to grandson/daughter.

Abd
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions