Search for content in message boards

Daniel B Grant. (1833?-1888), Husband of Isabella (Cuthbert) Grant

Daniel B Grant. (1833?-1888), Husband of Isabella (Cuthbert) Grant

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2014 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: Grant, Cuthbert
Hi,

I have recently begun tracing back my family's history and am a little stuck. I would like to know more about Daniel B. Grant, whom I believe was born about 1833 somewhere in Scotland and died in 1888 near Kingston. One of the finite records I have found is that he married Isabella Cuthbert, daughter of Archibald Cuthbert (1806-1888) and Catherine MacMillan (b. 1806) at St. Finnan's (Alexandria Cathedral) in 1858.

I think Daniel immigrated to Quebec first and was a carpenter by trade. I've found record of them living in Cornwall in 1871 and Frontenac in 1881. Isabella and Daniel had a number of children: John Henry Grant, Isabella Grant (Campbell), Archibald Cuthbert Grant, David Grant, William Grant, Daniel Grant, Mary Grant (Lenahan), and Frances Grant (Wanamaker). After his passing, Daniel's family immigrated to the United States and settled mostly in Buffalo, NY.

Any information anyone could share about Daniel, or his wife, Isabella, would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Laura

Re: Daniel B Grant. (1833?-1888), Husband of Isabella (Cuthbert) Grant

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 9:15PM GMT
This is a long shot but if they used the Scottish naming system his father should be called John and mother Isabella; her mother Catherine and father Archibald.
Naming system is:
First son named after paternal grandfather [John on census]
First daughter after maternal grandmother [Catherine on 1871 census]
Second son after maternal grandfather [Archibald on census]
Second daughter after paternal grandmother [Isabella on census]

I looked on 1841 Scottish census but far too many Daniel Grants.

There is a Daniel Grant, aged 34, arrived in 1866 but he has a wife Jane with him.

1861 census Glengarry
Isabella Grant, 25, married is with her parents Archibald and Catherine in Lochiel Glengarry County.
Where is Daniel?

There is a Donald Grant, 24, b Scotland, carpenter in Charlotteburg Glengarry on 1861 census. Next is a John Grant, 65, b Scotland.
Names Donald and Daniel are sometimes interchanged.

Unfortunately his parents aren't named on their marriage entry.

Is there any information from any of his children's births or marriages?

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 10:28PM GMT
Ooh, that's interesting! I didn't know about the naming convention; that could be an interesting lead. Also explains why so many people in my family have the same name.

I'm not sure where Daniel would have been for the 1861 census, or why Isabella would have been listed with her parents. He died at age 55, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of records for him related to his children. I haven't had a great time finding information on his children either, other than my direct relative (Archibald Cuthbert Grant). In the records I have found, it only mentions Daniel and Isabella's names - not any real detail.

Re: Daniel B Grant. (1833?-1888), Husband of Isabella Cuthbert

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 1:41PM GMT
Where was Daniel in 1861 census? I expect he was in one of the logging camps north of Glengarry..... Some McMillan men of the 4th and 5th Lochiel Township were in Golden Lake at that time and some others were over the Ottawa River in Province of Quebec lumbering.
Isabella Cuthbert was born and raised on 3rd Lochiel. Do you know the parents of her mother, Catherine McMillan?
Anne Neuman

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Cuthbert, Grant, MacMillan, MacDonall
I'm not sure where he was -- I have found very few records for him early on. I know in 1871 he was in Cornwall; the only record I've been able to find from before then was his marriage to Isabella in 1858 in Alexandria. That's interesting about the logging camps; maybe there's something there I can find.

Catherine's parents are Hugh & Bella MacMillan. Bella's maiden name was MacDonall.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 4:14PM GMT
Do you know who Hugh McMillan, father of Catherine, parents are?
Where did this McMillan family (Hugh McMillan and Bella McDonell live?

I will keep an lookout for Daniel Grant ..... maybe Dan Grant on Census.

Anne Neuman

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 11:40AM GMT
Anne, these are also my great great grandparents. Their daughter Catherine Anne was my grandfather's mother.

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 11:52AM GMT
Laura, these are also my GH grandparents. Their daughter Catherine Anne was my grandfather's mother. She was married to (Jean?) Pierre Ouellet. Their son came to Buffalo and was renamed at the border to Willard. He married Anna Katherina Walterich. Their children were Mathilda, Nelson Peter, Richard, John, Joseph and my mother Shirley Elizabeth Willard Lennon

Posted: 10 Apr 2014 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Cuthbert, Grant, Ouellet, Walterich
Hi Kathleen,

Interesting! I didn't realize they had a daughter who was older than John Grant (who was the eldest sibling I had found so far). Have you been able to find anything more about Daniel in your family research? He remains very much a mystery to me.

Posted: 12 Jun 2014 5:09AM GMT
Surnames: Grant Cuthbert Ouellet Burdaynade Burdaynaslo
I haven't so far. I have just written to St. Raphael's and St. Finnan's churches. All that I have on Daniel Grant is my great grandmother's wedding record.
Name: (Catherine) Curtis Anne Grant
Birth Place: Kemptville, Ontario
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Father Name: Daniell Grant
Mother Name: Isabella Cuthbert
Spouse Name: Pierre Ouellet
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1857
Spouse Birth Place: Quebec
Spouse Father Name: Pierre Ouellet
Spouse Mother Name: Virginia Burdaynade
Marriage Date: 24 Nov 1879
Marriage County or District: Frontenac
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions