Search for content in message boards

FYI/John W. Robinson/CA

FYI/John W. Robinson/CA

Posted: 3 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Melone
This is information for all ROBINSON researchers. In a small local newspaper I came across a story of the New Melones Lake located in the heart of California's Mother Lode near the Gold Rush towns of Jamestown, Angels Camp, Murphys, Sonora and Columbia.

It was with interest I read that the townsite of Melones is located more than 200 feet under the surface of the New Melones Reservoir. The townsite was located at a natural crossing point of the Stanislaus River. A ferry was established there in the early days of the Gold Rush, by John W. ROBINSON. The site on the map was known as ROBINSON'S FERRY.

In the spring of 1851 the town of Melones on the southern side of the hill became the largest mining camp in the state with a population estimated from 3,000 to 5,000.

The story goes on to say, ROBINSON'S FERRY took in $10,000 for fares in six weeks. Melones was virtually abandoned barely a year after its founding.

Where did the name MELONES come from? The strongest theory is that it was given to the area by Spaniards/Mexican miners for the melon seed like gold nuggets. Another theory is that the town was named for a person...John MELONE, a saloon keeper in the area. Or was it the maiden name of John W. ROBINSON'S wife or mother?

For more information on the history of the Melones Reservoir/Dam and ROBINSON'S FERRY, write to the local library in any of the towns named in the first paragraph. The towns and libraries are small but full of information on local history.

I am researching the ROBINSON FAMILY in CA. and will look into the possibility that one of my relatives is connected to this area. Darlyene

Robinsons in CA

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Oaks, Head, Davis
Hi Darlyene;
I too have been researching the Robinsons in California but starting back with my grandfather Newton I. Robinson. He and his family moved here in the 1930's from Colorado. Do you have any data on John W. Robinson's ancestry? I have a John D. Robinson, who was my grandfather's uncle.

Newton Robinson/ Highfill

Posted: 11 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Highfill, Robinson, Neiswinter, Neiswander, Drake, Calvert, St Clair, Sinclair
I also responded to Darlyene. My great grandmother's name was Charleen Newton Robinson, daughter of Charles Robinson and Nell (Neiswinter) Robinson. She was born in 1895, Medina, Ohio. She marreid Samuel Thompson Highfill in Yakima, WA 1917. She named her son Thompson Newton Highfill. A strong tie to the name Newton Robinson. Would please give me the background on your Newton? There must be a connection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions