Search for content in message boards

Caldwell/Wells/Elder

Caldwell/Wells/Elder

Jody Horrocks (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caldwell, Wells, Elder
Searching for information on the following people:

Hamilton Peter Caldwell b. 4/23/1836 Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada, d. 5/27/1934 Louisville, KY Educated in NY & Middlebury, VT. Taught school in NY and at the Chicago School of Reform. Moved to Louisville, KY in 1866 with his wife Mary Townsend Wells and became the superintendent of the Louisville and Jefferson County Children's Home.

Mary Townsend Wells b. approx. 1838 Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada. Was a principal of the Chicago Reform School before marrying H.P. Caldwell in 1866.

Rev. Edward Wells - Father of Mary Townsend Wells
Janet Elder - Mother of Hamilton Peter Caldwell

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Janet ELDER

Posted: 18 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2001 8:19PM GMT
Hello Jody HORROCKS. I might be able to help you out with some info on Janet ELDER, she was the daughter of my GGGgrandfather and I have a lot of the info on this family. If I can be of any help let me know.

Regards

Murray ELDER

Saskatchewan,

Canada.

Re: Janet ELDER

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2006 5:32PM GMT
Hi
Janet Elder who married John Adamson is my 8th great
grandmother if you have any information about her or her
hunband I would be interested.
Please e mail me janmoss@juno.com

Posted: 12 Jun 2009 7:36PM GMT
Hello Murray Elder. Is it possible that you are still checking this board and might have information concerning Janet ELDER's lineage that you would be willing to share? Thank you.

Posted: 29 Jun 2009 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Elder, Hosie and Caldwell
HI,
I wrote an article about George Elder for the Historical Society in 2008. He was the father of Janet who married William Caldwell and she is the mother of Peter Caldwell. Janet's mother was Christina Hosie. George came to Canada in 1817 and settled in Elgin, Quebec. His wife and children followed a couple of years later. Would love to share info.

Posted: 1 Jul 2009 1:53AM GMT
Hi> I am interested in the Elder family but have only bits of information and it was mostly gathered from the Chateauguay Valley sites.
I did not have the information on his first wife Christina Hosie. I had shown only Ann McGilvray and that he married her Nov. 30 1811. Several of the children were born before that date but I have David Elder Born about 1815 thus it looks like that Ann would be his Mother. I do not have birth dates for several other children,ie Jane about 1801,John about 1806,James unknown, George, unknown, Margaret unknown and Janet about 1809.
I would apreciate it if you could help me with these dates and any other information pertinant to this family.
My Mack family also came from this area of Quebec.

Posted: 1 Jul 2009 2:05PM GMT

Hi,

George Elder was the son of John Elder and Jean Luke of Pittenweem, Fifeshire, Scotland. He was born on March 22, 1780. He had a brother David, born on July 11, 1782. He also mentions a sister Margaret in his Will but I have no dates for her. He married Christina Hosie sometime before 1802 in Fifeshire. His first 2 children were born in Fife, Jane b.Feb.24,1802 and George b.Apr.9,1804, then he moved to Port Glasgow where there were 5 more children born, John b.May 14,1806, Janet b.Dec.20,1808, James b.Sept.6,1811, David b.Mar.20,1814 and Margaret b. Mar 7, 1817. George left for the new world in 1817 before his last child was born. He had started out for Upper Canada but when he landed in Montreal, he along with Peter Caldwell and William Miller decided to stay in Montreal. In the spring of 1818 he came out to the Chateauguay valley. In 1819 he sent for his family to join him. Christina Hosie died in 1835. He remarried in 1837 to Annie McGilvery Segar. George died in 1848 at the age of 68. I hope this helps you. I think that I already may know you.....are you the Jim that was known as Mackattack. I also am trying to get the Mack history of the early settling members of that family.

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: mack;pollock;powell;Elder,Caldwell
Thanks willowblue6. The information is well put together and very helpful. I appreciate that. I will now try to merg your information with what I have and that will take me a bit of time. This merging can be troublesome when you are not doing it on a regular basis, At this point I have a number of names entered more than once. when I have that done I will get back to you. Could you enter your email address here or in your profile?
Yes I am the Jim Mack at mackattack@accesscomm.ca
I will certainly help you out with the Mack families that lived near Clyde's Corner. At this point I will advise that there were two families living next to each other.
My direct family, 3rd great grand parents were Robert Mack born 1781/82 in New Monkland , Lanarkshire and his wife Margaret Pollock.They had five children born in Scotland and another five in Godmanchester Quebec. Their first child born in Canada was Ann Mack born in 1829,she is my 2nd great Grandmother. Her son Robert Mack is my Great Graddfather. By the way William Mack, Ann's older brother was an MPP in Cornwall, Ontario and is covered on some of the Ontario sites. The rest of that story I will give you in private email. There are still some mack relatives living in the Laguerre area.

The other Family was John Mack born 1795 in Bogside, New Monkland on March 6 1785 and his wife Margaret Waddell born about 1795 in Standrigg, New Monkland. I have four children listed for them. The first one born in Canada was James Waddell Mack b Sept 24 1833 at Ridge Farm, Godmanchester, Quebec.
I have been unable to establish the relationship between the two families but I feel certain that there is one.More later.
Jim Mack
Regina, Sk.

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 6:15PM GMT
Thank you, Willowblue6. I can provide information on the decendents of Peter Caldwell if needed, and will be happy to do so. Also, is the research you did for the Historical Society published anywhere? My roadblocks are Canada and before for both the Elders and the Caldwells. Thank you!

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 6:43PM GMT
Hi,
The Chateauguay Valley Historical Society puts out a book once a year called the "Journal". I wrote the story of the Elders for the 2008 Journal,I work in a senior's home where Helen Elder lives and she supplied me with alot of the info. In the Journal for 1993, there was an article called, "The John Caldwell letters from Canada". It was from someone in Scotland who was cleaning out the attic of some house over there and found them.They were letters written from Huntingdon to a relative in Scotland. They are very interesting! What exactly are your roadblocks? Can I help in any way?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions