Search for content in message boards

Bratcher family in Caneyville, Grayson County, Kentucky

Bratcher family in Caneyville, Grayson County, Kentucky

Sherrie Snow (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2002 8:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bratcher
I am a descendant of some Bratcher's in Caneyville. One in particular I'm interested in finding out more about is a Rodney E. Bratcher (deceased). I worked with his son Ray D. Bratcher, Sr (now deceased) and I'm just trying to find out if there is a connection somewhere. I'm not sure when Rodney died but I do know he is buried in Caneyville (not sure what cemetery). Rodney's wife was Elsie and their children are:

Ray D Bratcher, Sr
Chuck (Charles?) Bratcher
Mildred Bratcher Safacker
Janet Bratcher Loy
Diane Bratcher Logsdon

**Note: I'm not sure if the girls' maiden names were Bratcher--just assuming they were since there were half-brother's also in this family, according to Ray's recent death notice in the Courier-Journal.

If anyone has any information they can give me I would appreciate it. I'm just trying to find a connection somewhere (if there is actually a connection).

The Bratcher family I know I'm related to is:

Francis (Frances) Bratcher Woosley (great-grandmother)
Virgie Woosley Bratcher (aunt)
Troy Pearl Bratcher (uncle--deceased)
Roger Dale Bratcher (cousin)
Ricky Bratcher (cousin)
Don Eddie Bratcher (cousin)
Jerrold (Gerald?) Bratcher (cousin--now deceased)

I'm sure there are more but I'm just getting started on this side of my family. Please feel free to e-mail me at any time at Sherries1970@aol.com and leave me any information. I am in contact with my aunt to hopefully jog her memory in providing me with any small pieces of information I could use to start tracing our family.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!!!!

Sherrie Phelps-Snow

Re: Bratcher family in Caneyville, Grayson County, Kentucky

Posted: 11 Feb 2003 10:58PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2004 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Bratcher, Havens, Sapp, Evans, Rogers
Sherri, I am also related to some Bratcher's in Canneyville. I have Jane Havens Bratcher who was married to John Bratcher. she died in 1945 but I can't find her place of death or burial place. If you have her in your line, I would love to hear from you.
oneolddogg@charter.net

Sherrie (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2003 7:41PM GMT
Surnames: Bratcher
Pat,

Thank you for your reply. Those names do not sound familiar to me. I'm just getting started and would have to contact my aunt in order to refresh her memory. She knows just about everyone in Caneyville and has lived on the old Woosley homestead almost all her life. Do you live in Kentucky? Maybe after I talk to my aunt we can get together and compare notes, although my notes would be basically what I gave in my first post.

Thanks,

Sherrie

Posted: 23 Dec 2005 1:04PM GMT
my family was from that area too, but the names aren't from the same immediate family but must be related somehow. The names I have are John W. Bratcher, around 1816 (?) his great grandpa was William.
In a letter written in 1898 it says there is john 82, rebecca 80 and harrison 79. This one John (a couple in the line) was born in Needmore, a suburb of Caneyville and in all his 82 years never lived more than 5 miles away. There was Jesse B. married to Causey. Odis Ashley a relative. John, william, and leander Blanton were relatives. Layman's were relatives. I don't have any of the names you mentioned but am just getting started myself. vicki

Richard Bratcher (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2005 6:32PM GMT
I believe that you may be referring to my family line. I have John with siblings Mary, Rebecca, Harrison, George W. & Prescius. John had children Mayhugh, Kitty, Galveston, Melvin, Winnie, Gantimozin (?), & Franklin. Lots of interconnection with the Layman family. I am very interested in corresponding with you.

Posted: 3 Mar 2006 7:26PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Bratcher, Rogers, Goff
Greetings Sherrie, I hope you are still online.
I used to spend my summers just 4 miles west of Caneyville, near Goff's at Steff I believe it's called. Ask your aunt the Wilson's, from Arthur and Amye on back, and Goff's and Bratcher's she might remember. Reuben Bratcher died in 1930's I think and he is my roadblock in that line. Didn't get too far back huh?! Amazing that I can't find his parents as recent as he is! Family says that line came from N. Carolina and they recall scots/irish accent of Reuben's father or g'father. My last Goff I have documented is John P. b. 1820's and married to Margaret Palestine Byers. I have my Wilson's back to Samuel b. in 1770's but am roadblocked there. I hope she has some hints for me!
Andrea

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Btratcher Bradshaw
My husband, Collen Dale Bratcher, has had 64 markers on the FTDNA on the Bradshaw Project which includes the Bratchers.
His 2nd great grandfather was Silas Bratcher born in 1834 in Grayson Cty, KY and died in Butler Cty, KY.

Judge Andrew Jackson "Jack" Bratcher of Morgantown, Butler Cty, KY is related to our Bratchers on the maternal side for sure. Both of the Judge's parents were Bratchers.

There have been several close connections thru the Bratchers who have had DNA testing but we need more Bratcher lines to check further. Several of the Bratchers born 1790-1821 in TN and /or KY are related but the head person - born 1760-1780 has not been identified for sure. Anyone interested in DNA testing please go to FTDNA.com and join the Project.

Posted: 24 Apr 2008 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: BRATCHER-ASHLEY-SAPP-MUDD-RAYMER of Grayson Co., Kentucky
Hello Vicki,

The letter you mention regarding the BRATCHER's is very familiar-Uncle John, Indians, fence building...I also have a copy of it. I got it when my mother-in-law, Delorse Maxine BRATCHER Underhill(1924-1992)passed away. I think I may only have part of the letter however, since the part about Jesse and Causey aren't in mine. The Jesse E.(not B.)and Causey(ASHLEY)are my mother-in-laws parents. The Odis ASHLEY mentioned, may be Causey's brother Ose.

Mayhugh BRATCHER was the father of twins Esau and Jacob S.
Jacob S. Bratcher(1867-1904)married Barbara Ann MILLER(1871-1954). After Jacob died Barbara married Johnnie LAYMAN(d.1945) Jesse Enos Bratcher(1895-1980)married 1915 Causey G.Ashley(1898-1959). They were the parents of Elsie, Frances, David(aka Buster)and Delorse(aka Maxine).

I would be interested in what was in the rest of the letter, any dates, names and such. I am sometimes slow in correspondence, but will do my best.

Thanks!

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 1:55AM GMT
I am very interested in the letter you have mentioned. My great grandfather was Galveston V. Bratcher, brother of Mayhugh. Please reply, I would like a copy of the letter and any information you can provide. I have a lot of information about this line of the Bratchers and am willing to share.

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 10:36PM GMT
Hello

I don't know where the letter came from or who wrote it. I say letter, but it reads almost like a family history. But it is typed and on the back in ink it says "Keep this Sis".
Not sure if it came from my mother-in-law's sister or perhaps one of her aunts. She corresponded with an Aunt Mary and an Aunt Margeret(twin sisters of Jesse BRATCHER).

Like I stated before I'm not sure I have the complete version, as the previous poster Vicki seemed to have more info.

Would be more than happy to send a copy...What do you have about Mayhugh? The one census, not sure which one without looking it up, shows him without the twins(Jacob & Esau).

Have some info from the Filson Club in Louisville--very interesting. Will look through it for Galveston, in a day or so.

Doing research on BRATCHERs, ASHLEYs, RAYMERs, MUDDs and SAPPs on my husband's mother's side, and UNDERHILLs, ROBERSONs...on his dad's side(mostly in Indiana).

Also doing research for my new grandson on his daddy's side, LITHERLAND and WHITE.

So you can see I like a variety, that way I don't get frustrated as easily. Plus I only do it leisurely, so time is my friend(so far!)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic