Search for content in message boards

Wauchula, FL. Crewsville FL.

Wauchula, FL. Crewsville FL.

Robert Crews (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2001 3:59AM GMT
I am a fifth generation Florida Crews.My family has quite a history here. Just for fun I have a website with photos of me and my children. http://www.strato.net/~he
My great great grandfather, Dempsy Dubious Crews made the first road in this area from Ft. Green to Zolfo Springs, crossing the Peace River just one mile east of the current Highway 17 bridge. It was called "Crews Ford" He also helped settle the town of Crewsville which is southeast of Wauchula, FL about 15 miles. It is still on some maps. The town died when the railroad bypassed it in the 1890's
Thank you, Robert Crews

Re: Wauchula, FL. Crewsville FL.

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 7:30PM GMT
Hi,

I am looking for my birthmother, Virginia Crews, DOB 2-25-1923 Born in Brooker, Florida.

I no nothing about where she is or her family.

Thank you for your help

Robert Crews (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 9:44PM GMT
Judy:
Sorry I do not have any info on your Mother born in Brooker, FL. My e-mail address is he@strato.net if you would like to contact me in a more easier fashion. Also I have a website with an e-mail address listed at it. Just go to Yahoo and type in "Robert Crews" in quotations " " and my site should be on the first page of listings. As "Robert Crews Webpage"
Sincerely,
Robert Crews

Wauchula, FL. Crewsville FL. and DeSoto Co., Florida

Posted: 25 Jan 2003 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALBRITTON, ALDERMAN, BASS, BETHEA, COLLIER, COLLINS, COKER, CREWS, ELLIS, FEWOX, FRYE, GAY, HAGEN, HAMMOCK, JERNIGAN, KEEN, LACKEY, LANIER, LINDSAY, LISENBY, MCCULLOUGH, MCINNIS, MANNING, MERCER, MOBLEY, MORGAN, MURPHY, PELHAM, PRINE, WHALEY, WHIDDEN
Hi Robert,

My name is Matthew Lindsay and I'm reseaching the "CREWS" Families of Crewsville, Wauchula in Hardee Co., Florida and the Arcadia, Nocatee area in DeSoto County, Florida.

The earliest Crews I have was actually born in Crewsville, FL.
Generation 1
1. JOHN BYRON1 CREWS was born December 27, 1875 in Crewsville, Manatee Co., Florida,, and died September 26, 1948 in Arcadia, DeSoto Co., Florida. He married LELLIVE OLA BOYD December 12, 1897 in Arcadia, DeSoto Co., Florida. She died May 29, 1945 in Hardee Co., Florida.

More About JOHN CREWS and LELLIVE BOYD:
Marriage: December 12, 1897, Arcadia, DeSoto Co., Florida

Child of JOHN CREWS and LELLIVE BOYD is:
2. i. BYRON WALTON2 CREWS, b. February 12, 1899, Arcadia (DeSoto County), Florida; d. June 14, 1966, Joshua Creek Cemetery (DeSoto Co., FL.).

Generation 2
2. BYRON WALTON2 CREWS (JOHN BYRON1) was born February 12, 1899 in Arcadia (DeSoto County), Florida, and died June 14, 1966 in Joshua Creek Cemetery (DeSoto Co., FL.). He married HELEN HAZEL LINDSAY January 24, 1925 in Little Rock (Pulaski Co.), Arkansas, daughter of RICHARD LINDSAY and SARAH LACKEY. She was born February 09, 1908 in Mounds (Pulaski County), Illinois, and died May 30, 1974 in Sarasota (Sarasota County), Florida.

My connection to the CREWS family is through my father's aunt Helen Lindsay who married Byron Walton "Fred" CREWS. I've met some of their children which are many. They had 13 in all. They are my father, Jessie James Lindsay, Jr's. first cousins. Some are scattered throughout the state and some even in other states like Oklahoma.

Do you have a connection to any of the "Crews" family I've mentioned? If you don't does someone else know?

I've been wondering what my fathers, Uncle "Fred" Crews was doing in Little Rock, Arkansas when he met Helen Lindsay?

My great grandfather, Richard Mack Lindsay lived in Cairo, Illinois before moving to Little Rock, Arkansas. While he was in Cairo, he had worked for the Illinois Central Railroad as a car inspector. They moved to Little Rock, Arkansas between, 1908 and 1914, where my grandfather, Jessie James Lindsay, Sr. was born. They all had come to live in DeSoto Co., Florida between 1925 and 1926.

Thank for your time!

Matthew S. Lindsay
1613 12th Street Dr. W.
Palmetto, FL 34221
http://www.matthewlindsay.com

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: crews
I was wondering if you were related to a Brenda and a Moses Crews. I was married to Moses, and didn't know he had family until his mother died Ollie mae Crews. Soon after that I got a divorce and haven't seen or talked to him in almost 15 years I guess. But do remember he was from there and he did tell his daughter that his family founded Crewsville. Oh yea his fathers name was Dole Crews and I do remember a aunt name Cherry. You can contact me at bwooten1@charter.net Thank you Betty

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 9:38PM GMT
Hi - My husband's great grandfather was Dempsy Dubious Crews. I was wondering if you have any photos of him? We have one picture of the children, or some of the children of Dempsey. My husband's grand father was Harvey Kantz Crews. Thanks - we live in Atlanta now, but are both from Florida and have enjoyed the stories and history of Dempsey Crews making the road to Crewsville.
Thanks - hope to hear from you - Joani Crews

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 6:15AM GMT
Surnames: Crews
Hello:
Sorry, I have no photos that far back.
If I read your letter right your family descended from Dempsey Jr.
He was the son of Dempsey Sr that migrated to Crewsville from the Zolfo Springs area original homestead. That road Hwy 66 is part of the original Florida Cracker cattle trail.
Dempsey Sr. brought the family from the Charleston, SC. area via oxcart and made the first ford across Peace River about a quarter mile east of the present day Highway 17 Bridge across the river to settle near Zolfo Springs. William Madison was Dempsey Jr.s’ brother and he is the one I descended from.
Hope this helps you.
Robert Crews, Sr. Wauchula, FL.

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Crews
Dempsey Dubois Crews Sr.Came to Camden Co Ga with his parents.Fought in Indian war with Brother Stephen Crews
which is our line.He first settled on the Fl. Ga. line at
Blounts Ferry on Columbia County line on the Suwannee River.
He then went South with his family & fought the Indian war there.His son Dempsey Jr was killed in Crewsville by a Lucas.
You can contact me at crelin3@windstream.net

Linda

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 2:29PM GMT
Joani,

It has been almost a year since your post but I am just now seeing it. Harvey K. Crews was brother to my great grandmother, Piety Crews. I remember from childhood that Uncle Harvey would call our house every Thursday evening to catch up with my father, Aubrey. I too now live in the Atlanta area (Jonesboro). Uncle Harvey was 4 when his father was murdered so I wonder if my great grandmother helped to raise him as she was 16 years older.

Janet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions