Search for content in message boards

NY NJ Kessler - Leo & Mary (Stahl)

NY NJ Kessler - Leo & Mary (Stahl)

Kelly Anne Conroy (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2002 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Kessler, Beiser, Stahl
I'm looking for info on my great, great grandparents.

My great grandmother, Lena Kessler (b. 1890's), was the daughter of Mary Stahl and Leonard (Leo) Kessler. They resided in New York in 1900. Lena married my great grandfather, Herman Beiser. I believe Lena died in old age in New Jersey, so I think she may have had family there.

Any connections to your family or info you discover, would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kelly Anne Conroy

Re: NY NJ Kessler - Leo & Mary (Stahl)

Kelly Anne Conroy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 4:09PM GMT
More info since this posting:

Lena Kessler, born in Germany or Manhattan in 1887 to Leonard Kessler and Mary Stahl (possibly "Mary Steele"). Lena married Herman Beiser. Herman had a sister in law named Sarah Beiser.

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2009 11:49AM GMT
Surnames: Kessler, Nesbitt
I know of a Mary Steel who I believe was from Wilkes-Barre Pa and was married to a Kessler, but not sure of his name. My grandmothers maiden name was Kessler, and she married Alfred H. Nesbitt in I think Kingston, PA. I know her mothers name was Eliza and her fathers name was Claude Kessler and they lived anywhere from Luzerne to Noxen, PA. I was told Eliza father was American Indian and from the Harveys Lake/Noxen area.
Also, the Mary Steele I know of has family with the last name of Zadora, These people are cousins of my father Arthur R. Nesbitt.
I am hoping to find out more about my fathers family, his Mom and Dads family.

Kelly A. Conroy (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2003 6:09AM GMT
Surnames: Kessler, Stahl, Beiser
Upon reviewing the census reports of 1910 and 1920, I see that Mary (Stahl Kessler) was born in New York and that her parents were born in Germany. To my knowledge, she never lived in PA, but I have no way of knowing if she ever did. She was born in NY and married in NY and died, I believe, in NY. She lived, at the time of the census, as a widow, after her husband died (they were married for 27 years, per the census) with my great grandmother and her husband - Herman Beiser and Lena Kessler Beiser. Also living in the home in Manhattan at that time was a "Sarah", listed as a "sister=in=law" who was only 15. Not sure if she was Lena's sister or not, but I couldn't find a listing for a sister for Lena named "Sarah". So that leaves me confused.

Anyone have record of a Sarah Kessler, born in NY in 1895?

Sandy (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2003 4:56AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I don't think this Mary is anyone related to my fathers family. As I search data, none of it leads to NY yet. I found that my Great grandfather and grandmother Kessler are buried in Wyoming County PA. A place called Marsh Cemetery. Also found a young cousin with the last name of Davenport who died in 1965 at age 21. I even remember him and remember knowing he died, but don't know how.
Thanks again

Posted: 23 Nov 2010 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Kessler, Beiser, Stahl, Kotch, Holdsworth
Further to this, I have reason to believe that Lena Kessler Beiser's sisters (and children of Leon(h)ard Kessler and Mary Stahl Kessler) were the following:

Sara(h?) Kessler Holdsworth
Katie Kessler Kotch

I have been informed by another relative that Lena and Herman had another son, not previously listed, who was called "Willie"...though noone seems to have met him and he doesn't appear on any of the censuses with the rest of the family.

Re: NY NJ Kessler - Leo & Mary (Steele)

Posted: 16 May 2011 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: KESSLER, HOLDSWORTH, MCANDREWS, BEISER, KOTCH, STEELE
I can now confirm that Sara Kessler (Full name: Sara Agnes Kessler Holdsworth McAndrews) is the sister of Lena Kessler Beiser and Katie Kessler Kotch. The three are daughters of Mary Steele (d. 6/4/1931) and Leonard Kessler. They may have had a son named "Willie". Leonard Kessler and Mary Steele were both born in Germany. Their children were born in New York, NY.

In some documentation, Mary Steele is referred to as "Marie Steele", probably an error on part of the documentor due to accent issues.

I have been able to expand my tree extensively, so if you have any relation via Kessler, Steele or Kotch surnames, please contact me and I will send you our family tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic