Search for content in message boards

Finally discovered father's name, only to find he's from Greece

Finally discovered father's name, only to find he's from Greece

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 9:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Almandes, Swift
After years of trying to figure this out, the name of my "potential" father has been thrown out in a random conversation. Problem is it seems that the man in question was a Greek sailor in port for a short while.

Would there be any way to search for a Stelios Almandes (spellilng not certain) who was in port in Wallasey, Cheshire around November 1972 and spent some time with a Patricia Swift.

Re: Finally discovered father's name, only to find he's from Greece

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 2:42PM GMT
Lisa,
You may have to be prepared for the fact that no records will exist. According to Google Maps, Wallasey is near Liverpool, is it possible that he came in there? Certainly no passenger lists exist for ships originating in the Mediterranean and I suspect this is true for crew lists also. Have you any idea how long the couple were together? If they were together for months/years rather then weeks, he might be listed on local electoral rolls, telephone directories etc. Otherwise, with the thousands of ships using Liverpool and the docks in the surrounding area, I fear you might have a long and potentially unrewarding search. In the conversation where you found out the name, did the person know anything else, a ship name for example? That might help to narrow things a little.
Good luck with your search! :-)

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 8:53AM GMT
Hi,
Yeah I am prepared for not being able to discover anything - it's more just the answer to a question than anything else :) Wallasey is near Liverpool but has its own docks and that's where the ship was docked. I don't imagine they were together any longer than he was in port.

No, during the conversation the other person didn't know the ship name, but it was 40 years ago now.

Thanks for your reply though!

Lisa

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 8:47PM GMT
Have you thought about participating in a DNA project? I know of one individual who discovered cousins of his deceased biological father through participation in a DNA study. His biological father had no other children and he was able to discover more about his biological father's ancestry.

Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic